What is a good headphone with a mini-jack, for MacBook?

dB Cooper

Re: What is a good headphone with a mini-jack, for MacBook?
« Reply #20 on: 26 Nov 2015, 08:28 pm »
As far as Schiit, I assume you're talking about the Magni (which means you're not looking for portability). Haven't heard it but am a satisfied customer of the companion Modi DAC. If considering a DAC also, you should also look at the O2 which can be had with a nice built in DAC. If I wasn't also running IEMs and using the O2 at 1x (unity) gain for that, I probably would have opted for the Schiit. They both are good values in today's increasingly expensive headphone audio marketplace.

If looking for portability there are other options, a couple of which have been mentioned already.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #21 on: 27 Nov 2015, 03:26 am »
Apart from the few already mentioned, the FiiO e10k is also a solid contender and cheaper than most.

Waker

« Reply #22 on: 28 Nov 2015, 03:37 am »
Got and even better deal on the HD 598's. As mentioned, they are a Black Friday special, available in black as the 598SE, comes with and extra cable, all for a ridiculous $95, so I changed my order from the ivory color to the black edition.  No Schiit---not yet, at least.

dB Cooper

« Reply #23 on: 28 Nov 2015, 04:11 am »
$95 for HD598's is unbeatable.

Waker

« Reply #24 on: 2 Dec 2015, 09:24 am »
I am listening to my new Senn HD 598SE's, bought for $95.  They are playing directly from my MacBook Pro. I am playing CDs I have uploaded into memory with Apple's external drive. To me, these sound very nice at medium volume--balanced, detailed, but need to use the EQ to boost frequencies and volume, then really gorgeous. At 50 ohm impedance, which Schiit amp will work best? I see the Valhalla 2 does best with 300 ohm and higher sets. What is good in that price range? Thanks! 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #25 on: 2 Dec 2015, 01:23 pm »
Asgard is their solid state amp for $100 less and Lyr is their hybrid amp for $100 more if you want a tube sound.  Both will work fine with your headphones.

Waker

« Reply #26 on: 3 Dec 2015, 11:02 pm »
I am really impressed with the sound from these Senn 598's plugged directly into my MacBook Pro 15" retina that is almost three years old and cost around $3500.  Now into trying some Schiit.  Does the Bifrost DAC have a wall wart power supply, or does it use a conventional power cord? I see an IEC on the back of the unit.  How about the Asgaard amp--same thing? And, is the Bifrost served by a USB port from the Mac? What's the best hook-up?  And finally, what levels of phones will these components be good enough for in the future? I would tend to go all out in this medium in the future, so should I consider these pieces of Schiit to be my mid-fi platform for now?  I see that the 598's are on the low end of Senn's high end line.  Thanks for the guidance!

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #27 on: 4 Dec 2015, 08:58 am »
Bifrost has an internal power supply. Same for the Asgard.

Yes the Bifrost has usb input, although it also has spdif. The original gen1 usb inputs weren't that good, but the gen2 is better. If not usb, I would pick coax... but of course this depends on the coax output of your source as well.

I think the Bifrost/Asgard is a good level for the HD598. If you want to move up but stay in the same family, the HD600/650 is the obvious step and that will carry you all the way up the Schiit line. The HD800 is sort of in its own category and is a large departure in sound, so think carefully before going that route.