Tascam CD-6010 player

PingPing

Tascam CD-6010 player
« on: 5 Apr 2014, 05:56 am »
Hi Peoples, has anybody tried the Tascam CD-6010 player... what are your thoughts  :)

PingPing

Re: Tascam CD-6010 player
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2014, 05:22 am »
Someone mentioned to me that they thought that the Denon DN-C620/640 sounded better.  Any opinions... thanks  :)

PingPing

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2014, 03:37 pm »
Hi, no opinions... well, I bought a Tascam CD-6010 player at a good price although the Denon is Network/Ethernet capable.

It is actually quite nice sounding player but the case needs some resonance treatment and I found that it also needs a good AC cable :)

The transport is a little noisy but you have to be near the player to hear it :)

PingPing

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2014, 01:16 am »
Well, here's a bit more feedback that I thought that I would share...

I bought a Tascam CD-6010 player because I could get it at less than $800 (AUS)... yes, I am on a tightish budget at the moment :(
Yes the drive is a little bit noisy but I like the disc tray.

The player needs at least 350hrs of continuous running before an upper mid-range sheen disappears and becomes transparent, open, and relaxed.  The Bass is initially quite light, and lacking resolution, but gradually begins to become solid, extended, and resolving.  As the player approaches the 500hr burn-in mark the player becomes very nicely balanced, transparent, and very nice to listen to music through.

The interesting part is that as the player becomes more transparent it is actually louder yet quieter, extremely relaxing to listen to yet involving, produces an excellent sound stage, and amazingly real/natural tonality/timbre/decay/edge control... very interesting and very nice  :)

The player definitely needed a good AC cable and the chassis definitely needed some resonance assistance but what a nice player... at least for the money I outlayed in this instance.

I would say that the Tascam CD-6010 is better than the Revox C221 player that I like very much for its staging, and real/natural tonality/timbre/decay/edge control (once it was mechanically and AC cable treated) :)

kach22i

• My Site
« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2015, 05:24 pm »
At the 350 hour mark PingPing said the sound still had not flushed out all the way, and he would post back once it did.  That was a year ago...........................any news?

I could not find the exact quote, perhaps it was in another forum.

Has any one followed suit in purchasing one of these?

Did the sound finally flush out and bloom for you PingPing?

Looks like the Tascam CD-6010 is no longer available on some sellers websites.  This could mean what ever is in stock is the last of it, or a new and improved model is soon to be released.

Anyone have a guess?

This model is still on Tascam's website.

I tried using the suffix of MK2 and "CF"  on the CD-6010 which are used on other products in their line up, but got nothing.

PingPing

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2015, 09:32 pm »
Hi kach22i, no, the Tascam CD-6010 didn't.   It still has a slightly hard upper mid/lower treble presentation and the stage never completely developed! Perhaps, with a couple of PS mods it might, though :) 

I ended up getting an Audiolab 8200CDQ which is a noticeably better CDP but it has an poorish CD Transport.   If you can get secondhand or new Audiolab 8200CDQ or 8200CDP with a good CD Transport then this would be a very nice CDP :)

kach22i

• My Site
« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2015, 03:09 am »
Thank you for responding.

I think that the CD-6010 Tascam CD-5010B drive assembly was being poo-pooed and called a computer CD-Rom drive in this other forum thread. 

See Post #246 and beyond.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/279390-quality-cd-mechanisms-long-gone-let-us-build-one-ourselves-25.html

The CD drive quality was the only reason I was considering the Tascam, but perhaps it was the things connected to it which didn't meet your audiophile standards. 

Either way I'm currently researching the DIY kit by Vicol Audio, looking for that perfect peach yet not picked.

http://www.vicol-audio.ro/shiga-mkII.php

In a forum here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/120229-finally-affordable-cd-transport-shigaclone-story.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/255887-shigaclone-mkii-black-builders-thread.html

Most likely will just purchase something used when the time comes, but it's fun dreaming.

PingPing

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2015, 03:35 am »
The CD-6010 Tascam CD-5010B drive assembly was the reason I brought it and a friend was suggesting that it was also audiophile quality. I think with a bit of tweaking that it might be real audiophile quality but the Audiolab 8200CDQ does sound very good :)

Might just have a look at the vicol shiga that you have mentioned. 

I am sort of now looking for a CDP/PreAmp (CDP/DAC/ADC) that uses the new AKM chip, which has a programmable volume control, and also has an ADC chip like the wolfson chip, so that it can act like a CDP/PreAmp with digital and analogue inputs... just a thought :)

kach22i

• My Site
« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2015, 03:33 pm »
I think that I may be interest in modifying a Tascam CD-6010, but don't know where to start.

RE: AKM, I posted this in another forum recently - post #255.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/279390-quality-cd-mechanisms-long-gone-let-us-build-one-ourselves-26.html#post4530293
Quote from: kach22i;4530189
I'm no expert, but the above looks good to me.

EDIT:
vicol shiga.................seems to be derived from a 2008 boombox, with the help of 3D printing and wholesale replacement of nearly all the electronics.  Not sure if this is a "last a life time" product or just something for the kit guys to do.

RE: Teac/Tascam CD-5010B and the plastic case 5020...................
Welcome to SAKURA SYSTEM's new site.
home

As I understand it, the 47 Laboratory's very expensive CD (and good) players were the inspiration behind these many mod/DIY threads.

I have no idea if 47 Labs is going to follow through, and which TEAC mechanism they are looking at.  I assume they were attracted (as I was) to something still in production and not something they would have to salvage.

I am very interested in what this thread comes up with, other than another  2008 boombox salvage job.

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]EDIT:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

ESOTERIC K-01 CD/SACD PLAYER
Full Reference Status
Equipment report
by Alan Taffel  | Mar 28th, 2013
Esoteric K-01 CD/SACD Player | The Absolute Sound

Something in common with the $1,000 CD player I was looking at?

TASCAM CD-6010
AK4480 D/A Converters (manufactured by Asahi Kasei Microdevices)
Product: CD-6010 | TASCAM

PingPing over at Audio Circles had the TASCAM CD-6010 last year, the sound never flushed out enough for him, not even after +350 hours of use, so he moved on.

Still interesting to me to see some of the same suppliers in pro/mid-fi and upper end equipment.

kach22i

• My Site
« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2015, 03:50 pm »
RE: Vicol Shiga...........................

Seems to be derived from a 2008 JVC boombox, all the important electronics replaced and beefed up mechanically with 3D printing of parts.

Maybe the last CD player you ever own if you stock up on boomboxes?

Looks like a well thought out project which is constantly undergoing improvement, perfect for the DIY-er looking for something to tinker with on and off again. :wink:

PingPing

« Reply #10 on: 28 Nov 2015, 12:52 am »
I think that I may be interest in modifying a Tascam CD-6010, but don't know where to start.

RE: AKM, I posted this in another forum recently - post #255.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/279390-quality-cd-mechanisms-long-gone-let-us-build-one-ourselves-26.html#post4530293
Sorry, I really do not understand this post... are you able to rewrite/restructure the quoted area or have more quotes?

I think that the Tascam CD-6010 can be easily improved in the PS area :)