Class D versus the rest

OzarkTom

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #420 on: 19 Oct 2014, 11:14 pm »
When I was a dealer back in the 80's, I sold Classe, Rowland, and Electroccompiet. All three companies are with us today, but the Electro was the best of the bunch back then. It is nice, or frustrating, to see so many amp designs and brands today, but so far none is perfect. You can find any brand used on the Internet if you search.

Maybe when Class Z comes out, it will be the perfect amp for us all. :thumb:

cab

« Reply #421 on: 19 Oct 2014, 11:30 pm »
There needn't be "a perfect amp for all of us" nor will there ever be a "perfect amp"...There only needs to be an amp "perfect" for each of us....some of us have found something we are pleased with while others are never satisfied....

OzarkTom

« Reply #422 on: 19 Oct 2014, 11:38 pm »
There needn't be "a perfect amp for all of us" nor will there ever be a "perfect amp"...There only needs to be an amp "perfect" for each of us....some of us have found something we are pleased with while others are never satisfied....

And I have found the perfect amp for my ZEllatons. :D

But it is still fun to try others. Life is too short to not play with the big boy toys.

werd

« Reply #423 on: 20 Oct 2014, 02:34 am »
So I went down to Long&Mcquade to see if they had any Crown D amps for rent. I guess they don't Crown any more and now are dedicated to Yorkville. So I rented this Yorkville 1700 Class H  :o. it was half price October on all rentals so got this Yorkville for $10 for a month. The amp cost $490.00 brand new.

Keep in mind my source and pre amp are top Notch. This $490.00 amp is oddly quite good. It has its own character to it. The dynamics seem to engage but at a different timing then both my Bryston and this 400 watt Chapter Class D amp I have on Borrow.

Distortion and noise are excellent.

$490 it's a steal

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #424 on: 20 Oct 2014, 02:39 am »

Distortion and noise are excellent.

of course... :lol:

werd

« Reply #425 on: 20 Oct 2014, 02:59 am »
I meant distortion and noise are very low. Nice one  :lol:

werd

« Reply #427 on: 20 Oct 2014, 03:08 am »
that's it and it comes with a hard wired power cord  :lol:. If I bought this I would hardwire MY TWL or my one of my Wywires to it.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #428 on: 20 Oct 2014, 03:35 am »
My XLS 1500 is burning in and is less fatiguing now, the compression is certainly there but either it's less compressed or I'm getting used to it. I have a track that I can use to test it, there was one instrument in particular that was a lot louder then with my SET amp. I got to try my SET vs an Air Tight Pre and fi 2a3 monoblocks and my SET was it's equal so it's a good benchmark.

Tom, I doubt you will regret your purchase, this amp is sounding much better than yesterday, it'll be like the TBI with 10x the power and cheaper too. Better than your JOB? I doubt it, but it's a good amp... 

I have a Odyssey Stratos on the way, should be an interesting comparison there too.

werd

« Reply #429 on: 20 Oct 2014, 05:32 am »
It should never be fatiguing. That's a bad sign. ^^^^^ I can tell ya right now that this Yorkville will smoke your Crown... Real bad. The thing is about 501bs at least and is class A/B with the efficiency of Class D.

This makes me laugh at under $500 for both   :lol:

rodge827

« Reply #430 on: 20 Oct 2014, 12:07 pm »
werd,

Is there a fan on the Yorkville? If so any noise?

maxima95

« Reply #431 on: 20 Oct 2014, 01:29 pm »
The spec sheet on the page below shows the Yorkville PX1700 as weighing 35 lbs, and being Class H.  No RCA ins.

http://www.proacousticsusa.com/productdetail.php?pId=23896

OzarkTom

« Reply #432 on: 20 Oct 2014, 01:38 pm »
The spec sheet on the page below shows the Yorkville PX1700 as weighing 35 lbs, and being Class H.  No RCA ins.

http://www.proacousticsusa.com/productdetail.php?pId=23896

From that website, it states..........Inputs - 1/4 IN Jacks

werd

« Reply #433 on: 20 Oct 2014, 03:20 pm »
werd,

Is there a fan on the Yorkville? If so any noise?

There is a fan. You can see the vents in on the front off the pic. With the lid on there is a bit of noise of but not a deal wrecker. For home use I would disconnect the fans and punch holes on the top for ventilation. My left channel is dead quiet but I am getting noise out of my right channel that I don't recall hearing before. I would expect Its only this amp. Going to see if I can fix it.

werd

« Reply #434 on: 20 Oct 2014, 03:23 pm »
From that website, it states..........Inputs - 1/4 IN Jacks

Its has 1/4 in and xlr with Speakon and binding posts out. Easily compatible for home use.

werd

« Reply #435 on: 20 Oct 2014, 03:30 pm »
Here is what $490.00 CAD gets you. Made in Canada too. No Chinese garbage

werd

« Reply #436 on: 20 Oct 2014, 03:35 pm »
 :lol: forget that last post. it's made in China. It's a Chinese made piece of crap.

guest61169

« Reply #437 on: 20 Oct 2014, 04:02 pm »
There is a fan. You can see the vents in on the front off the pic. With the lid on there is a bit of noise of but not a deal wrecker. For home use I would disconnect the fans and punch holes on the top for ventilation. My left channel is dead quiet but I am getting noise out of my right channel that I don't recall hearing before. I would expect Its only this amp. Going to see if I can fix it.

I knew it!  It sounds like that Yorkville would have a greater chance of smoking your house than smoking my Crown! 

If you like Class H, try the Yamaha P-Series.   But I had their top of the line P7000S and second from the top P5000S and preferred my Crown XLS 2500 to both of those.  The Yamahas also ran hot under the bottom if you left them on 24/7.

werd

« Reply #438 on: 20 Oct 2014, 04:34 pm »
I knew it!  It sounds like that Yorkville would have a greater chance of smoking your house than smoking my Crown! 

If you like Class H, try the Yamaha P-Series.   But I had their top of the line P7000S and second from the top P5000S and preferred my Crown XLS 2500 to both of those.  The Yamahas also ran hot under the bottom if you left them on 24/7.

Anything made in China runs the risk of burning the house down. I'd like to hear those Yamaha amps. Kinda taken a liking to Class H.

This Yorkville really likes My Torus. Rm20  The Torus has a way of kicking amps into overdrive. 

a.wayne

« Reply #439 on: 20 Oct 2014, 06:51 pm »
2 Pr outputs or is it 4 Pr with 4 on the bottom ...... ?