Help! Esata connection to BDP2?

Norton

Help! Esata connection to BDP2?
« on: 1 May 2015, 09:33 am »
I've never used Esata before in any context.

I want to connect an external CD drive to my BDP.  The drive comes with an Esata port and supplied cable.
The cable fits the drive fine, pushes on and then with a little more pressure  clicks home.  However on the BDP the connection pushes on part way, but I just can't get it to go fully home.  As far as I can see I have it the right way round, anything I need to know (different types of esata maybe?) or  should be doing ?

Interested to hear from someone who is using this port on their BDP.

Thanks

Tympani

Re: Help! Esata connection to BDP2?
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2015, 01:41 pm »
Hi Norton,

I'm very familiar with this connection as I ran my external SSD via e-sata for quite a while, before I switched to the internal drive location. The BDP2 e-sata slot accepts a "male" plug. The connection is notoriously insecure, and can become dislodged or wiggled quite easily. I have tried many versions of the plug, each with similar weakness. Very few actually clicked in place on the BDP. My external SSD drive enclosure also took the same "male" connection, so my cable was terminated on both ends with the same plug, and therefore fully reversible. Here is an example if the plug.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-3-Feet-Shielded-External-ESATA3/dp/B000ENUCR4/ref=sr_1_1/180-8706955-2138618?ie=UTF8&qid=1430487006&sr=8-1&keywords=esata+cable+to+esata

Of course, yours may have a different "source" plug depending on your CD's output, but the proper BDP input is as depicted.

Norton

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2015, 02:23 pm »
Thanks,

That cable looks very similar to mine.  At the  drive end the connector goes fully home with a click ( e.g when looking at it from the top, none  of the metal part is exposed) but at the BDP end it pushes on fairly loosely but goes no further so that you can still see some metal looking from the top.

Tympani

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2015, 12:36 pm »
Yes, I suspect the "window" surrounding the actual e-sata plug is a bit too narrow on the BDP, preventing full insertion of many standard plugs, leading to a loose (or no) connection.

You might want to try a different cable. Even without getting it to "click" at least I was able to get a signal through on mine. I suspect, even though within specs, the plugs on your CD cable are possibly a smidge bulkier?

Norton

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2015, 09:16 am »
Thanks again

When the connection didn't go fully home I presumed it wouldn't work, so didn't bother actually trying it.

Tried it again and just as you outlined, even though the connection seems insecure and only part-way in, it actually works fine.