Fairweather vs. Pacman is on I've just read . .

dB Cooper

Re: Fairweather vs. Pacman is on I've just read . .
« Reply #80 on: 5 May 2015, 02:46 am »
Well ain't this a kick in the ass
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12821905/manny-pacquiao-surgery-significant-tear-rotator-cuff-right-shoulder

Out as long as a year? Retire. You can't sit out a year at that age and be effective. Just ask Ray Leonard. Not to mention the folks who paid $100 to see you thinking you were OK to fight. Retire.

Early B.

« Reply #81 on: 5 May 2015, 05:26 am »
Well ain't this a kick in the ass
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12821905/manny-pacquiao-surgery-significant-tear-rotator-cuff-right-shoulder

Out as long as a year? Retire. You can't sit out a year at that age and be effective. Just ask Ray Leonard. Not to mention the folks who paid $100 to see you thinking you were OK to fight. Retire.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but if Manny wants to get another big payday, that's a great way to do it.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #82 on: 5 May 2015, 12:10 pm »
Hey, his gym is in his house, isn't it? 

I understand that he refers to his Home/gym as his 'Hoym'. I think that's where the term 'hoymies' originated, though I'm not sure about that.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #83 on: 5 May 2015, 01:08 pm »
The parties and some promoter may give us another bout.  Don't think it will be in Vegas.  Might not be as hard to sell as you are expecting.  Might even be a better contest.  Interest could wane what with Manny's injury and the year it would take to recover.  But, if there is money to be made . .

And humans can be sold anything.

RDavidson

« Reply #84 on: 5 May 2015, 01:17 pm »
I'm no conspiracy theorist, but if Manny wants to get another big payday, that's a great way to do it.

I'd love to see Manny get more money. He donates a lot to his country, which if you don't know, is one of the poorest in Asia if not the world. The Philippines is still reeling from typhoon Haiyan (which devasted a large part of the country back in November 2013 and claimed 6340 lives.....plus more unaccounted for). The body count was so bad that they could do nothing but leave them practically as they lay, while the living were being tended to.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #85 on: 5 May 2015, 01:43 pm »
Mayweather doesn't need the money and he is the champ.  What incentive does he have to fight again? 

a) to show that he can beat Pacman if Manny is in the best shape of his life
b) there is no money like mo money
c) IRS troubles
d) more historical limelight
e) who else is he gonna fight

Would he go to China?  Probably not his first choice but if the money is right?

Worst case there will be 3 fights and if that happens you gotta suspect that you've been played tho I can't imagine anyone could stay that much interested. 

Early B.

« Reply #86 on: 5 May 2015, 01:54 pm »
And humans can be sold anything.

:lol: :lol:

Sometimes we underestimate this basic fact.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #87 on: 5 May 2015, 07:26 pm »
When has Mayweather actually needed more money? :lol:  He's greedy- he'll take more.

dB Cooper

« Reply #88 on: 5 May 2015, 09:40 pm »
Maybe he'll join the fans who filed a class-action suit against Manny Pacquiao and his team for concealing his rotator cuff injury prior to the fight:

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12827249/two-fans-file-class-action-lawsuit-manny-pacquiao-undisclosed-injury

This fight isn't going to be just a "black eye" for boxing. By the time all is said and done, it's going to be two black eyes, a cracked rib... and a torn rotator cuff.

Phooey.

Eugene2

« Reply #89 on: 6 May 2015, 12:19 am »
Boy! Floyd has ruined boxing????  It's time for him to move on???  Crazy, he is merely too good and diminishes good fighters to average Joe's.  If any one ruined the fight Saturday it was Manny's lack of effort, driven undoubtedly by those stinging right hands that seem to make every fighter he faces stop fighting after the 8th or 9th round.  Watch the Canelo fight and see if he also stopped around the same time.  I do believe Pac had a problem with his shoulder, but the few times he mounted an attack he threw punches with velocity, just most of them missed. 
This is reminiscent of the days when Ali was fighting and everyone rooted against the un-American draft dodger.  May weather is hated for a multitude of reasons some of them fair and some unfair, he has beaten everyone they put in front of him, people are yelling how bad or boring the fight was, I watched it in a huge packed sports bar and the people went crazy screaming for twelve rounds...
I don't mind the cars and the bragging Jay Leno and Senfield have extensive car collections, Mayweather gives a lot of money to charity also, look it up.  I dislike the way he treats women so I'll never be a fan of the man.  One last thing, you want to know who's ruining boxing, look at Klitchko's last couple of fights, far worse a giant man hugging his opponent for 12 rounds and he's the heavyweight champion, where's the public out cry?  Stop with the MMA comparisons it's not more technical it's a different discipline, it's organized street fighting, if you like that sort of thing watch it.  You guys have fun...

RDavidson

« Reply #90 on: 6 May 2015, 02:22 am »
 :lol: You're beating a dead horse. Almost every point you make, no one has really denied nor made a huge argument for. I agree with most of what you're saying, but your comparison to Ali is a stretch.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #91 on: 6 May 2015, 02:42 am »
Luv your take, Eugene, on the big Russkie.  Who might beat him, tho?  And when is Golovkin gonna fight a top ten guy?  He's being nursed thru the ranks so far.  Hate it when that happens.

dB Cooper

« Reply #92 on: 6 May 2015, 02:56 am »
Boy! Floyd has ruined boxing????  It's time for him to move on???  Crazy, he is merely too good and diminishes good fighters to average Joe's.  If any one ruined the fight Saturday it was Manny's lack of effort, driven undoubtedly by those stinging right hands that seem to make every fighter he faces stop fighting after the 8th or 9th round.  Watch the Canelo fight and see if he also stopped around the same time.  I do believe Pac had a problem with his shoulder, but the few times he mounted an attack he threw punches with velocity, just most of them missed. 
This is reminiscent of the days when Ali was fighting and everyone rooted against the un-American draft dodger.  May weather is hated for a multitude of reasons some of them fair and some unfair, he has beaten everyone they put in front of him, people are yelling how bad or boring the fight was, I watched it in a huge packed sports bar and the people went crazy screaming for twelve rounds...
I don't mind the cars and the bragging Jay Leno and Senfield have extensive car collections, Mayweather gives a lot of money to charity also, look it up.  I dislike the way he treats women so I'll never be a fan of the man.  One last thing, you want to know who's ruining boxing, look at Klitchko's last couple of fights, far worse a giant man hugging his opponent for 12 rounds and he's the heavyweight champion, where's the public out cry?  Stop with the MMA comparisons it's not more technical it's a different discipline, it's organized street fighting, if you like that sort of thing watch it.  You guys have fun...

Who said Floyd has ruined boxing??? Not me. I said that the fact that it was a noncompetitive fight after waiting for it for five years , not to mention a record $99 to watch a boring fight on TV,was bad for boxing. They were yelling at the MGM too- yelling "BOOOOOoooo!!!" I have no kind words for Team Pacquiao either. The fans, as usual, got hosed, and that was mostly Team Pac's fault .

And yeah, agree about Klitschko; that's a guy I don't like to watch. He can't help that the heavyweight division he fights in is the worst in history, but he just isn't entertaining, even when he's knocking guys out. I hope Wilder gets a shot at him at some point.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #93 on: 6 May 2015, 03:18 am »
Who said Floyd has ruined boxing??? Not me.

I did, and I'm holding to it!  Well, I didn't say ruined, but is ruining boxing.  The effect of this fight will take years for boxing to get over.  It was the most hyped fight in decades and was a total dud, just like every Mayweather fight is.  The people new to boxing who had that fight as their introduction will likely never give it another chance, that fight will damage boxing for some time. 

And yeah, agree about Klitschko; that's a guy I don't like to watch. He can't help that the heavyweight division he fights in is the worst in history, but he just isn't entertaining, even when he's knocking guys out. I hope Wilder gets a shot at him at some point.

I'm not a Klitschko fan either, unfortunately the more exciting of the two retired.  Still, I'd rather watch most Klitschko fights than Mayweather fights.  The Pulev fight was pretty good, can't say that about any Mayweather fight in the last 5 years.

dB Cooper

« Reply #94 on: 6 May 2015, 03:28 am »
It was the most hyped fight in decades and was a total dud, just like every Mayweather fight is.  The people new to boxing who had that fight as their introduction will likely never give it another chance, that fight will damage boxing for some time. 
Hey, I haven't liked Mayweather either, not since he referred to a contract for more than most people see in a lifetime of hard work as a 'slave contract'. Screw him.
But now it seems that Manny may bear some of the blame for the 'dudness' by fighting as 'damaged goods'. I'm equally disinterested in seeing either at this point. Floyd will take the 'safest' opponent he can find (as he sees it) in his last fight, and I'm not interested in watching a 37-year-old Pacman shake off a year of ring rust against a 'tuneup' opponent.  Thank you for the exciting fights you have given us in the past, Manny, but this wasn't one of them.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #95 on: 6 May 2015, 03:40 am »
Hey, I haven't liked Mayweather either, not since he referred to a contract for more than most people see in a lifetime of hard work as a 'slave contract'. Screw him.
But now it seems that Manny may bear some of the blame for the 'dudness' by fighting as 'damaged goods'. I'm equally disinterested in seeing either at this point. Floyd will take the 'safest' opponent he can find (as he sees it) in his last fight, and I'm not interested in watching a 37-year-old Pacman shake off a year of ring rust against a 'tuneup' opponent.  Thank you for the exciting fights you have given us in the past, Manny, but this wasn't one of them.

Manny in my mind gets a pass because this was his one and only dud fight, and the only exciting moments of this fight were provided by Manny. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #96 on: 6 May 2015, 07:55 pm »
"FIGHT OF THE CENTURY" BAD FOR BOXING
I suggest that when the post-fight headlines are as follows, the fight was BAD FOR BOXING:
"Class-action suits pepper Pacquiao, Promoters"
"Mayweather Accuses Pacquiao Of Making Excuses"
"Showtime, HBO Produce Superb Telecast Even if Fight Wasn't So Good"
"Pacquiao Could Face Discipline For Hiding Injury"

Those are just from ESPN's boxing page.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #97 on: 6 May 2015, 08:28 pm »
I love it. High time all these star studded grifters get exposed. Pro sports, movies, music, politics, you name it (because I don't dare to). Oh yeah, religion and banking (very similar).
We the people, because we are gullible and easily lead, have been exploited at an ever accelerating rate for 30 odd years. The internet might just backfire on these capitalist plunderers.

Meanwhile, stop buying everything for 6 months and see how much impact we can really have if we operate collectively. I'm sure we all have experience trying to talk to them as individuals. Lets try it as a group.

Manny could be bankrupted and his co-conspirator Mayfeather could get dragged into it as well. Surely there was a collaboration of some kind.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #98 on: 7 May 2015, 11:13 pm »

I'm not by nature a conspiracy theorist but as deflating as both performances were, perhaps we shouldn't overlook the possibility that Floyd's team might have secretly rigged Manny's locker room thermostat and that the the softness and squishiness in his shoulder was the direct result of the muscles reacting to colder than normal ambient temperatures which led to the rotator cuff injury. It's a scientific fact that cold temperatures cause muscles to deflate and it's more probable than not that without the muscle deflation, the fight might have turned Manny's way.  Just sayin'.

And did you know that P.T. Barnum never said "There's a sucker born every minute" but rather it was a criticism by David Hannum about Barnum's slippery salesmanship and his customers.