*** PLOT TWIST*** New TV Recommendations?

audioguy213

Re: *** PLOT TWIST*** New TV Recommendations?
« Reply #60 on: 9 Dec 2016, 06:58 pm »
a couple of different topics are now getting together in one thread.

1. OLED is a game changing display standard. Just as plasma sets produced black levels without peer, and many of us "videophiles" saved our Pioneer Kuros or Panasonic VT60s for almost 10 years in some cases - waiting for anything better, regardless of price.

no other technology was close, UNTIL OLED

OLED is not only better, it is WAY better than anything else, it is not an incremental change, it is a huge leap up.

LG basically pioneered OLED, taking it from 18" sets that cost $23,000 5 years ago - to set that cost $7k two years ago,

Once OLED hit the $7k , ultra premium, but exists, set, it immediately became the "BEST TV on the planet" bar none, with the only caveat being motion issues (software processing, where Sony excels),

LG has been getting huge traction, but still they needed to bring the prices down for the mass market, and they are doing so FAST,

because, as mentioned, competition is coming in 2017.

Panasonic has a $8k set - ultra premium.
But the real trigger is Sony:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2016/12/06/sony-oled-tvs-are-definitely-launching-in-2017-surprising-new-details-emerge/#3d412a2bcc00

Sony has two OLEDs planned for next year, with MSRPs that are low, and that has LG saying, "we might as well take the market with our lingering stock and have LG owners all over"

But, as I said repeatedly,
These sets were worth it at $8k,
almost irresistable at $4k,
and getting to the "I wish I had more friends I could buy one of these for only $2k for this Christmas" point.

they are CHEAP,

if you wait, you will be able to get a future model this cheap potentially, when it too is being replaced.

---

those charts you are referencing, the reason they make people made is the same as when people post a piece of data that says
"wires are wires"

it indicates that you are not experienced first hand, and so what are we debating against - an article you read, something you heard from your aunt, but where does that end.

The short answer is that if you believe that article, then go ahead and only watch standard definition shows, because you sit too far for it to matter anyway.

Don_S

« Reply #61 on: 9 Dec 2016, 07:22 pm »
audioguy213,

Thank you for the interesting post and link.  Here is what I found most interesting in the article.

"Given that Sony’s OLED TVs are being built using panels from LG Display, the Sony prices also perhaps give us an indication that we may see a more aggressive pricing strategy from LG Electronics with its 2017 OLED TVs than we saw in 2016.

Hopefully I’ll be able to bring you more details on this as well as a first glimpse of Sony’s OLED screens when the 2017 CES opens its doors in Las Vegas from January 4th."

Implicit in the need for better image quality in larger screens is the reluctance to make any OLED TVs smaller than 55-inches. At least for now.  :(
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2016, 09:05 pm by Don_S »

brother love

« Reply #62 on: 9 Dec 2016, 07:41 pm »
audioguy213,

Thanks for your most recent posts, esp. the 50" Pio Kuro plasma comparison to your 65" LG OLED display. Since the OLED displays have been drastically marked down, I have been looking closely at an upgrade.

But there is a point of diminishing returns. The chart merely shows where those points can be for many. Also, the full benefit really close distances account for the immersive experience that THX & others espouse (& why so many love HD projectors with very large screens).

When auditioning I always take a tape measure with me, step off my viewing distance, take the display remote & dial it way down from torch mode & evaluate. So much of what I personally watch from HD cable (sometimes w/ dreaded pixelated images), older movies, etc. , there is even less benefit gained from an upgrade. Blu-ray movies/ concerts & even higher def offerings are another matter. To each their own.

Not sure why things seem to devolve into standard def vs. 4k only. There is a whole lot of stuff in-between ...

audioguy213

« Reply #63 on: 9 Dec 2016, 08:10 pm »
Based on what you are talking about, you would want to use a 1080p projector,
there are various HT models that would suit the "immersive experience"

Any TV looks like, at best, a "lovely window" on the wall, it never is going to look like a movie theater, as you know.

For a "reference" monitor that reproduces color accurately, surrports 4k, HD color, etc. the OLED is where it is at, comparable to where the Kuro was for a decade, and a Sony tube broadcast monitor was for almost 20 years before that- it is something a video professional would use.

But, a $600 720p projector, playing almost any action movie would BLOW 4k OLED out of the water, because the scale is immensely different, and how that impacts our eyes and brains is too.

Some people can watch an action movie on a cell phone
some people can watch it on a 7" screen on a plane
some can watch it on a 50" Plasma
and
some can watch it on a 120" projector

each step, is an equivalent step up in "experience" IMO.  Depending on who you are, once you taste one, you may not be able to go back to the other.

------------

So Star Trek is refernce quality in Blue Ray on my OLED. Perfet inky blacks of space,
but when they do some mortal combat hand to hand shakey camera fighting, or the whole inside of the spaceship is shaking around scenes, I literally CANNOT tell what is going on , on my TV.  Like my brain no longer is immersed in movie, it is confused.

I dug out an OLD 720p DLP projector and shined it on my wall, and it was WAY better experience watching the movie- the action scenes made sense, I could see better,

and let me tell you something else brother - if you think your audio system responds to nice power conditioners like UberBuss, you should try them with a display or any projector.

audioguy213

« Reply #64 on: 9 Dec 2016, 08:28 pm »
Sony always has the best motion processing,

that was the one knock on the first gen LG OLEDs, and still some people complain about the latest gen if they have not tweaked their settings,

Sony really has upscaling & motion processing nailed in their TVs, everything looks great from 480p up,

So, that would be a major point of comparison with the next gen of 2017 OLED sets.

audio.bill

« Reply #65 on: 10 Dec 2016, 12:16 am »
I apologize if this was previously mentioned (I may have missed it,) but Sony has confirmed that they will be showing new OLED TVs at CES which are expected to become available in the second half of 2017. http://www.avsforum.com/rumors-of-sony-oled-tv-confirmed/?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=AVSForum.com_sold&utm_source=AVSForum.com20161208

tvyankee

« Reply #66 on: 10 Dec 2016, 01:42 am »
Hey.

The good thing about sony is they have had about 5 to 7 years or more of making oleds for the broadcast and film biz.

The new 4k hdr 30 inch monitor i am using cost a cool 30 grand. But it does look great.  Once you look at full uncrompressed 4k or hdr its really hard to look at other stuff.

Might be worth it to wait for a sony.

youravhandyman

« Reply #67 on: 10 Dec 2016, 08:32 pm »
Not that there is anything wrong with it but Sony is sourcing it's OLED panels from LG...

audio.bill

« Reply #68 on: 11 Dec 2016, 01:47 am »
Sony has been outsourcing many of their panels for years, but they still develop their own electronics which make them superior to some competitor's sets using the same panels.

ctviggen

« Reply #69 on: 12 Dec 2016, 03:50 pm »
Well, my plasma TV has developed a blue column. It's only 3 years old too. I originally thought the blue column was caused by my receiver, but when my home theater computer died and I was setting up the new one, which went directly into the TV, I realized it was the TV. Which is too bad because I bought a receiver too. The receiver does have an on-screen display though, which my old receiver did not.

Anyway, I've decided to buy a 55 inch OLED TV from LG. However, I'm going to wait to near the Super Bowl to buy it, as I really don't need it and I think the prices will be lower then.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #70 on: 12 Dec 2016, 04:26 pm »
Well, my plasma TV has developed a blue column. It's only 3 years old too. I originally thought the blue column was caused by my receiver, but when my home theater computer died and I was setting up the new one, which went directly into the TV, I realized it was the TV. Which is too bad because I bought a receiver too. The receiver does have an on-screen display though, which my old receiver did not.

Anyway, I've decided to buy a 55 inch OLED TV from LG. However, I'm going to wait to near the Super Bowl to buy it, as I really don't need it and I think the prices will be lower then.

Sorry to hear that Bob.

My Panny plasma in the picture above is now 10+ years old and still looks great!

Put the TV you want in your wishlist or cart on Amazon and that can give you an idea when the price is starting to move around.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #71 on: 12 Dec 2016, 04:40 pm »
Thanks, George. I think I just got a bad one. We have another TV from the same manufacturer, just smaller, and it's older, and is still working fine. We also have an LED (not plasma) TV that's even older and still working fine, also from the same manufacturer. Those 2 TVs are in the in – law apartment, however. Our main screen is the one with the blue line. My wife sees no reason to get a new TV, but it drives me crazy. Unfortunately, these TVs were on sale in November and now are full price. They likely won't go on sale again until the Super Bowl.