Introducing Tryst!

modwright

Introducing Tryst!
« on: 16 Mar 2016, 03:04 pm »
We are pleased to announce the debut of 'Tryst', the first dedicated headphone amp from MWI.  It is set to debtu at SoCal CanJam, March 19th, 2016, in Costa Mesa, CA.

Base price is $2995 - Factory Direct (special finish and options may add to cost).

Factory Direct model was chosen to allow best value to customer and no compromise in component, build quality, finish, and sound.

(Circuit Design by Damon Coffman of Coffman Labs)

Oxblood Custom Finish, Tryst and TPS Power Supply.

I first of all want to thank all of you here for your input and support.  I listened and incorporated features that I feel make this product very attractive.  It is designed to drive all modern headhpones with the exception of Stax and other electrostats that require a specific type of amplifier.  We have successfully used the Tryst amp with HiFi Man, Mr. Speaker Ethers, The Abyss and Audeze's LCD series of headphones as well as more conventional offerings from Sennheiser and Grado. At 3W+ into 18 ohms, the amp offers plenty of power for the most demanding applications.

We designed the unit with two source inputs, two preamp outputs for use as a preamp or with other powered desktop speakers, etc.  Outputs include 1/4" stereo, IEM (mini stereo) and 4 pin XLR balanced outputs.  The circuit is all tube, interstage and output transformer coupled with custom hand-wound transformers from Jack Elliano at Electraprint Audio.

Power supply is external and SS rectified and choke current regulated.
Tube Complement: (2) 6922, (4) 12B4 - all NOS.
Circuit Design: PP transformer coupled with zero negative feedback and pure Class A operation.

Controls include input select: Mute, I, II. Volume (noble pot). IEM only enabled when 1/4" Jack has headphones or 1/4" Jack adaptor installed.
MWI caps and top quality shielded wire throughout to insure absolute quiet performance.
Power supply is fully external for the same reason, with custom WyWires umbilical connecting supply to amp (3ft).

Custom finishes available for tube 'hood' and transformer bell ends. Base enclosures are flat black. Knobs and connectors on face are silver. Faceplates are hand polished black anodized AL.
These units are built on a 'Bespoke' model with regards to finish and possibly other options such as wiring and internal components.

Custom Black Metallic Finish with polished steel end bells.

TPS (Tryst Power Supply)

Thank you again for your support and feedback.  I look forward to seeing you at SoCal CanJam, this weekend! (March 19-20, 2016).

For order inquiries and questions:
ModWright Instruments Inc (MWI)
email: modwright@yahoo.com
Call: 360.247.6688

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Introducing Tryst!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2016, 03:36 pm »
Why is the circuit design by someone else? 

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2016, 03:43 pm »
Good question!

Damon and I have been talking about working together for some time.  I was very impressed with his Prautes design.  I had thought about a headphone design for some time, but had not had the time to design one myself.  Damon said that he had ideas for something that he thought would be even better.  He did not want to deal with production and I did not have time to design a new product at that time.

The result is an excellent collaboration, with Damon's circuit design and MWI's implementation and production.

I did choose MWI caps and handled the aesthetic design of course.  Listening and final voicing was done by both Damon and myself.

Thanks,

Dan Wright

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2016, 03:50 pm »
We also have a hybrid headphone design built into our SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition, using the tube linestage to feed a discrete SS buffer stage.

We are just stepping into the headphone amp arena and I am very excited about it.  I want to experiment more next with hybrid designs also.

I have to say, the Tryst amp is simply spectacular!  It embodies all of the strengths of WELL designed all tube amps, including pure Class A design, zero negative feedback and excellent bandwidth.  While conventional speakers require POWER, headphones are QUITE happy with only 3W.  In fact, for headphones, that is quite a bit of power!

The result is all of the beauty of tubes without the limitations of frequency response and power that only the most elegant tube circuits can produce, but with PLENTY of power to drive all of the current modern headphones available.

This design follows my foray into SE tube amp designs with the Ambrose 10W SE EL34 stereo amp and our 845 DS Reference 32W mono blocks.  There is magic here!

Dan

talk2me

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2016, 04:01 pm »
ModWright has hit a grand slam again. :beer:

modwright

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2016, 06:21 pm »
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/03/30/canjam-socal-2016-modwright-and-wywires/

More feedback from SoCal CanJam thanks to Scot Hull at Part Time Audiophile!

Thanks,

Dan

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2016, 01:23 pm »
Will this amp also be at AXPONA ?

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2016, 03:25 pm »
Yes, in fact, it will be in use by Daedalus Audio near the Headphone display.  Lou has a booth setup to show off his DiD's - Daedalus Isolation Devices.  He will have an Elyse DAC as source, into an Oxblood Tryst with a variety of headphones and different WyWires headphone cable options.

We will be showing our new SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition with Ryan Speakers.

We will also be exhibiting with Skogrand Cables and Eggleston speakers with: 150SE monoblocks, LS 36.5 DM preamp, PH 150 phono, Elyse DAC and Modified Oppo 105.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2016, 03:56 pm »
More show coverage from Audio-Head.

http://audio-head.com/the-modwright-tryst-canjam-socal-2016/

The Oxblood color really photographed odd at the show.  It looks much different in person.

Much thanks to Audio-Head for coverage.

We are in fact taking orders now for Trsyt amps!

Each is built to order and completely custom.

Thanks,

Dan Wright

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2016, 03:55 am »
I wasn't expecting this headphone amp to sound good.  I was pleasantly surprised to hear how great it sounded at Axpona.  Nice job!   :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2016, 04:07 am »
Thanks I guess ;).  Why did you not expect it to sound good?  No offense taken, just curious.

I appreciate the feedback.

Dan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2016, 04:28 am »
Thanks I guess ;) .  Why did you not expect it to sound good?  No offense taken, just curious.

I appreciate the feedback.

Dan
Yeah, that was dickish.  I should have said i wasn't expecting it to sound AS GOOD as it did.  Seriously, it was very very good.   :thumb:   I'm impressed as it didn't sound like the typical tube headphone amp to me.  I liked it.  If I was in the market for a tube headphone amp I'd seriously put that one at the top of my list. 

jseipp

« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2016, 07:34 am »
Not having heard it, I'd just like to compliment the aesthetics of the Tryst, especially the way it looks in Oxblood -- excellent choice!

modwright

« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2016, 01:58 pm »
No need to apologize, just a funny way to put it. It sounds unlike the typical tube amp. It has full bandwidth and I feel it does everything right. Most importantly to me, it enables me to just get lost in the music without feeling the need to analyze it.  I feel that if we succeed in this, we have done our job.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am having professional photography done soon and will share some different finish options too.

Dan Wright

jackox

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jun 2016, 11:19 am »
I am discovering this new jewel a bit late!
The beast looks gorgeous!

Congrates Dan, the design is awesome really + this price tag is more than reasonable! Might even consider a bargain compared to what some competitors have to offer.

modwright

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jun 2016, 02:31 pm »
Thank you.  It is a phenomenal design and I like to think that it looks as beautiful as it sounds.

I appreciate the feedback and support!

Dan

modwright

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jun 2016, 05:48 pm »
Here are professional photos:

Thanks,

Dan

sdwong

« Reply #17 on: 7 Jan 2017, 05:33 pm »
Hi,
I am not able to audition the Tyrst where I live and I am looking for a tube amp to drive my Utopia. How will you discribe the pairing?

I have audition the Utopia with Chord Dave or Questyle. While the detail from ss DAC/amps are great. But I do find it a bit bright, especially vocal. Too much "si". I hope you know what I mean.

Currently using Woo WA8 and hoping to upgrade.

Thank you.

modwright

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jan 2017, 07:36 pm »
I have not used the Focal Utopia headphones with the Tryst, but I have used it with The Abyss and the most inefficient and difficult to drive HiFi Man headphones available and it drove them all very well. I own the Mr. Speaker Ether headphones and find them to be an exceptional match with these as well as the Hifi Man HE1000's also. The Utopia's 80 ohm impedance and 104dB efficiency would quite frankly be a VERY easy load for the Tryst, rated at 3W into 16 ohm.  Tube amps are QUITE happy with higher impedance loads.

The all tube Tryst design offers exceptional detail, but without what can be SS fatigue.  It is extremely dynamic and resolving, whilst retaining the beauty and 3D sound of tubes. Those that have heard the Tryst amp, including Arnie Nudell among others, describe a 'sound stage' that they do not often experience from headphones.  There is a sense of space and 3D imaging, with headphones, that is like a speaker system.

The Tryst amps are built to order and completely custom. Your choice of color,  tubes and custom WyWires umbilical are all available.

Please call or email me personally if you are interested in learning more.

I am quite confident that if you find other SS amps to be fatiguing, then the Tryst would be the ideal pairing for the Focal Utopia headphones. The Synergy would be exceptional and at no expense of detail or resolution.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Dan Wright
President, ModWright
modwright@yahoo.com

jackox

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2017, 03:30 pm »
I have auditioned the Utopia HP on several HP amps.

It is a very good HP which can sound a bit bright because of its Berilium transducers (Berilium is at the core of Focal Utopia series design).
I agree with Dan, Tryst will have no problem to drive the Utopia, the trick will be to pair it with a DAC that is not too dynamic because TRYST show a great balance between dynamics, power and signal purity. It results in a none compromised reproduction of the sound from the source, in my case an OPPO HA-1 SE (Audiocom modded).

I have tried my TRYST with the Sony MDR-Z1R (very good HP), Sonorous X, Sennheiser HD-800, Beyerdynamic T-1 Gen 2, OPPO PM-1, Fostex TH-900 and Fostex TH-X00 (Massdrop).
TRYST handled all of these wonderfully. It is so far the best HP amp I heard, I am really glad to own this unit.

I am waiting for a Tennerton Odin and a Meze 99 Classics.
I will use the 99 Classics over TRYST's IEM output.