Apple remote problems

mk61

Apple remote problems
« on: 15 Aug 2014, 03:51 pm »
Just finished my v3 build and having problems with the remote. Sometimes all is perfect but then stops responding or responds very erratically, sensor is located close behind a clear lexan face.... I changed the battery but no change. very frustrating :duh:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Apple remote problems
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2014, 04:29 pm »
Just finished my v3 build and having problems with the remote. Sometimes all is perfect but then stops responding or responds very erratically, sensor is located close behind a clear lexan face.... I changed the battery but no change. very frustrating :duh:

The code etc. behind the IR remote operation is quite mature and works very reliably. I can't recall a single instance of the behavior you describe but that's not to say it's not happening. I'm confident there's a solution. I suggest you give me a call to discuss the specifics and we can go from there. 312.339.1757

Cheers,
Morten

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2014, 04:01 pm »

I've looked into this issue and may have found a bit of left-over code in the interrupt handling routine that could possibly explain intermittent non-response to remote commands. That said, try as I might I've not been able to reproduce any problematic behavior related to responding to the remote. This appears to be an isolated problem. But I've updated the firmware with this code removed just to be safe. 

Since your unit was shipped with Rev 1.1.3 firmware I highly recommend you update it to the current 1.1.8. Here's the link to getting that done:  http://www.tortugaaudio.com/downloads/

Also I would very carefully check your wiring connections from the IR Module back to the V2 board. The IR Module is very robust in terms of its reception even under difficult non-line-of-sight scenarios but one thing I've witnessed repeatedly is a weak wire connection will stop the show.

mk61

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2014, 01:58 am »
I will try the update.  as far as the connecting of the IR module it is soldered directly to the remote display module and wired to the board via your connectors and cable. Now I have to go buy a usb cable with a micro connector. I'LL let you know if that fix's the problem. It's a little odd to me that it works perfectly of a while then very erratically after

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2014, 11:09 am »
It's a little odd to me that it works perfectly of a while then very erratically after.

This suggests a hardware problem since software doesn't change. If it persists and the software update doesn't resolve it we can consider replacing the IR Module or even the V2 board. Do you recall possibly making a change to the way the unit is powered and/or grounded that may correspond to the change in behavior?

mk61

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2014, 02:14 pm »
let me clarify   the remote has never worked properly and has been intermittent since day one...sometimes it will turn the unit on sometimes it won't  if I keep trying it will eventually come on...sometimes it will adjust the volume fine then stop working during any listening session. It can be working fine then at anytime it just stops responding  but eventually will start working again.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2014, 02:34 pm »
let me clarify   the remote has never worked properly and has been intermittent since day one...sometimes it will turn the unit on sometimes it won't  if I keep trying it will eventually come on...sometimes it will adjust the volume fine then stop working during any listening session. It can be working fine then at anytime it just stops responding  but eventually will start working again.

Please PM me your name/email and I'll look up your order/address etc.  I'm going to send you a replacement IR Module but please also update the software to eliminate that as a possible cause. It's possible the IR Module was damaged during install/soldering if it got too hot. Also, putting them in backwards - even for a brief moment - will damage/toast them.

We test each and every V2 unit so we know they're working normally - with the remote - before we ship them. What you're experiencing is very unusual. If the software update and new IR Module doesn't fix the problem, I'll replace the whole unit. No worries.

Please note that when you update the software you may have to pair the remote with the V2. It's a simple procedure spelled out in our documentation here: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/documentation/#document-5   but is summarized as follows:

Teaching (pairing) the Tortuga Audio LDR preamp  the remote is a 2 step process as follows:

1) Press/hold the Encoder button on the LDR preamp for 20+ seconds and then release. At this point the Status LED and/or Display Module should be blinking very rapidly indicating the preamp is indeed in Remote Pairing Mode.

2) Press any button (other than the Enter/Center button) on the Apple Remote

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2014, 04:12 pm »
There may have been more than one issue causing this problem.

After receiving the V2 board back for assessment I discovered that the JP1 jumper was indeed jumpered which told the board that it's a Slave and not a Master. Slave boards will not respond (or may respond erratically) to remote inputs. They look to get their commands from the Master board via serial data link. I suspect that this jumper was the primary initial cause of the V2 not responding to inputs from the remote.

Secondly, numerous components including the IR Module, the microcontroller and on board EEPROM had failed. Most likely cause is reverse polarity on the power supply. This was the first and only instance we've seen of this type of failure.

Solution: Easier to replace the entire V2 board than diagnose/replace individual failed components.  New board on its way.

Note to all V2 DIYers:

1) Be very careful and deliberate when connecting and applying power to the V2 board. Power should be between 8-13 VDC with a regulated 12 VDC supply of nominal 500 ma capacity  recommended. In actual operation the V2 will consume far less than 500 ma depending on how many accessories are attached.  Pay especially close attention to the +12/Ground polarity.

2) If the V2 isn't responsive when your first receive it: a) double check that JP1 isn't jumpered; and, b) use the Encoder initially if the remote isn't working which means you'll need to pair your remote with the board before it will recognize it. Info on pairing can be found here: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/documentation/#document-5
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2014, 01:43 pm by tortugaranger »

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2014, 12:29 pm »
Addendum: 

Even after correcting for some hardware problems per the last post, erratic behavior continued wherein the V2 wouldn't reliably respond to the remote and would sometimes change mode on its own.  :scratch:

And then finally the "aha" moment arrived. The culprit? A plasma TV used as a monitor for a music server system. TV on - erratic behavior  :duh: TV off - no problem, behaves normally  :D 

Solution (so far) - cover the case with a copper sheet, thus shielding the V2 from emi and/or rfi emanating from the plasma TV.  Who would have thought? Good to know.  :thumb: