Sicario

GerryD

Sicario
« on: 8 Oct 2015, 08:40 pm »
Has anyone else seen this movie? I thought it was excellent. Well-written, well-acted, and with moments of breathtaking cinematography. If you enjoy gritty and intense, be sure to see it!

lowtech

Re: Sicario
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2015, 11:31 pm »
Great movie.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2015, 05:55 am »
I thought it was fantastic!  The cast if uniformly terrific, and I won't be surprised if Benicio Del Toro gets another Oscar nomination for it. It's tense and genuinely gripping for the entire running time.  Probably the politics are a bit exaggerated/unrealistic but it's a wonderful parable about how twisted the entire drug issue really is.

persisting1

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2016, 11:39 pm »
Just watched this last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great writing/acting/editing. Might have been a little too long, but I thought it was a great film.  Johann Johannsson's score was outstanding. The score wasn't over the top. It pulled you into the intense moments of the film; then it let you go when all was clear.

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2016, 11:45 pm »
I thought it was boring and about basically nothing, nearly plotless.

persisting1

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2016, 12:01 am »
I thought it was boring and about basically nothing, nearly plotless.

That's the beauty of art. It's subjective.

But couldn't disagree more about it being about nothing.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2016, 12:10 am »
That's the beauty of art. It's subjective.

But couldn't disagree more about it being about nothing.

I'd group it with several other movies trying for the art aesthetic just to make a buck, and offering almost nothing.

drummermitchell

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2016, 01:14 am »
As with most of everybody else I found it a great movie.
Helps also with a 128"x50" cinema scope screen and 4k of power.
Even if it was on the 55"tv I would have enjoyed it.

JDUBS

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2016, 01:21 am »
Terrific movie all around.  One of my favorites from last year.

-Jim

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2016, 04:30 am »
Brooding, intense and grim. Definitely not a feel good movie. Good if you're feeling misanthropic.

Frankly I could go for more high quality upbeat movies. Seems hard to find these days. Everything popular entertainment seems like is a race to "darker than thou" or cheap coarseness. Old man rant over....

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2016, 04:45 am »
It wasn't dark just for effect (looking at you, Superman).  It was dark because that's what the drug war is like.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2016, 05:52 am »
Agreed - "Sicario" ie hitman - is the title after all. Wasn't expecting a romp in the tulips. But this movie definitely had one of the darker tones of recent movies I've come across. Ie everyone is out to fulfill their own dark desires - "good guys" and "bad" - and everything and everyone in between is used or trampled towards that end. I suppose Emily Blunt's character is supposed to counterpoint that even as she's ground under heel. Maybe all that's supposed to be more "realistic" in this context, but that doesn't help making the movie come off as mean.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 1 Apr 2016, 08:14 am »
Yeah, I see your point.  I liked it but it was pretty grim.

jriggy

« Reply #13 on: 1 Apr 2016, 12:58 pm »
We loved it!
From the opening scene on, I was tense, like anything could happen. With the pace and filming in some sequences, it really put you in the middle of those nerve racked situations. I felt right there in the moment with them. with her, the whole movie. Some of it was like that classic horror movie feel of "what is around that corner/what is to come?" type of fear. Thats hard to do IMO. Great filming, great cast, etc...

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 2 Apr 2016, 08:43 am »
This was easily one of my top 5 from last year...I thought it was very well acted and kept me engaged from start to finish.