Like to get planer headphones

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
Re: Like to get planer headphones
« Reply #20 on: 3 Oct 2015, 12:38 am »
My opinion, save your money. When you get $700-800, buy some cans that are significant upgrade to what you already have. Don't make a lateral move just because you have some money.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 3 Oct 2015, 01:36 am »
These expensive planars need additional investment in amplification.
There are all low sensitivity.

brooklyn

« Reply #22 on: 3 Oct 2015, 05:41 am »
These expensive planars need additional investment in amplification.
There are all low sensitivity.

FRM, I already have an amp.

brooklyn

« Reply #23 on: 3 Oct 2015, 05:45 am »
Hi Steve, having limited experience with headphones, it’s hard for me know exactly what I’m looking
for. With all the years I’ve been in this hobby it’s been trial and error. I’m not tech savvy, I usually
buy what I think I need, audition it in my home and hope for the best. If it doesn’t work, EBAY..

First and foremost is comfort for me and I get that with the Q701’s. I would say I like my sound to
be slightly on the analytical side. I want the high’s to be extended but smooth and the bass be tight
and well defined… I’m a sucker for detail..

Smk, you hit the nail on the head, making a lateral move has crossed my mind. What would I gain
by buying another $300.00 set of headphones? To make my next purchase worth while, I’m going to
have to go more upscale........ It’s only money, Right

Guy 13

« Reply #24 on: 3 Oct 2015, 01:04 pm »
Hi all,
a few years back when I was on planet Vietnam, I decided that I needed a pair of headphones
(Today, I don't know why I wanted a pair of headphones when my main system sounded so good
and playing music loud was no problem in our concrete made house) anyway,
I looked for many months for a pair that was comfortable, which was my first criteria.
I tried many makes (HiFi Man, Sennheiser, Audeze, etc...)
and found that my Sennheiser HD650 where the most comfortable (Withthe HD600)
and that I could wear it for hours at the time, unfortunately the sound was good in general but veiled or dark.
The pair of headphones that gave me the best sound was a pair of Stax Lambda that I owned 35 years ago,
lots of details and not agressive sound.
I still have the HD650, but If I had the money I would buy again a pair of Stax,
but there are other brands that sound as good and are half the price
(HiFi Man and Audeze and maybe OPPO.)
Please take you time and try, try, try it's the same as in real estate ,
you know: Location, location, location...  :lol:

Guy 13

steve in jersey

« Reply #25 on: 3 Oct 2015, 01:37 pm »
Hi Steve, having limited experience with headphones, it’s hard for me know exactly what I’m looking
for. With all the years I’ve been in this hobby it’s been trial and error. I’m not tech savvy, I usually
buy what I think I need, audition it in my home and hope for the best. If it doesn’t work, EBAY..

First and foremost is comfort for me and I get that with the Q701’s. I would say I like my sound to
be slightly on the analytical side. I want the high’s to be extended but smooth and the bass be tight
and well defined… I’m a sucker for detail..

Smk, you hit the nail on the head, making a lateral move has crossed my mind. What would I gain
by buying another $300.00 set of headphones? To make my next purchase worth while, I’m going to
have to go more upscale........ It’s only money, Right

Alright, that's what I was talking about . Now we have a starting point !

I had the AKG 701 (before they started calling it the "Quincy Jones" model) & liked it . I suppose the only real
thing I didn't care about it was I thought it was missing some bottom octave information. I didn't find it to be
"analytical" sounding just pretty smooth & nicely detailed. The difference that we were hearing might be was that I was using a Consonance Cyber 20 tubed headphone amp with it .

I think the "analytical" characteristic you're hearing may be coming from your Graham Slee headphone amp !
I think that because the 701 is already pretty detailed sounding the Slee may be adding its own character to be strong in this area to a headphone that doesn't need that help !

At this point I'm trying to guess how the HE400s will mate with the Slee ! The treble on
the Hifiman's is different than it is on the AKG (because it's a dynamic hp). Hmmm...
it may work just fine with it ! (The only really hard to drive Hifiman planars are the HE1000 & the (supposedly)
HE-6. I have the 6 & it hasn't been that difficult to drive (but I use a non-HFM cable on it & Im certain the $5k
of line conditioning I have sitting in front of my entire system makes driving anything a permanent non issue!

Just some things to chew on ! Hope this helps.

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #26 on: 3 Oct 2015, 04:04 pm »
I think, as FullRangeMan implies, that you're going to have to invest a sizable amout of your budget into an amplifier to get the best out of planars.

Guy 13

« Reply #27 on: 3 Oct 2015, 04:21 pm »
Hi all,
that's why when I've listen to the HiFiMan 400 planar headphones  with my Bottlehead Crack
I was not impressed with the sound.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #28 on: 3 Oct 2015, 05:58 pm »
The old out of the line HE400 have 93dB sensitivity, the current HE400S have 98dB much more suited to being drive by a CD player or PC board and the price is the same.

brooklyn

« Reply #29 on: 3 Oct 2015, 06:05 pm »
Hi Steve, thank you for all the helpful info…

I didn’t mean the Q701’s sounded analytical but wouldn’t mind getting a touch of it in a new headphone..
I think the Graham Slee sounds very good with the Q701’s… I’m listening as I write this.

I’ve almost all but forgotten about the HiFiMan HE-400s at this point and focusing on the better planer cans.
I do realize some of the planer models are hard to drive but I haven’t totally ruled out also getting a new amp
in the coming months if need be.

It looks like the Audeze LCD-2’s are in the running. The reviews I have read thus far tells me that they might be
to my liking.. Two item’s that came into question were the words “dark sounding” and comfort.  I will do some more
reading while I’m a work today.. I wish there was a Hi-End store in my area to give a few different models a listen..

megabigeye

« Reply #30 on: 4 Oct 2015, 08:51 pm »
I don't want to get too into this conversation because I've not heard any planar 'phones...  But I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned the Oppo PM-3 (well, Guy 13 mentioned Oppo). ??? They've gotten lots of positive press, are easy to drive, and only cost $400.  The only drawback I see is that they're not open back.  Aren't the modded Fostex models also closed, though?

Is there something about these headphones that I'm missing?  :scratch:

ajzepp

« Reply #31 on: 5 Oct 2015, 03:39 pm »
Steve, I looked at those Stax Sigmas on the internet, I don’t think I can choke down
the look of those cans. LOL.. I always try have an eye towards esthetics to a degree..

You're not alone, man...Steve has made several attempts to force these fugardly beasts on me several times. I feel that he completely abused my trust, as he knows I credit him for my love of Grados and Peachtree Audio...I never expected he would try to use our friendship in order to trick more of us into buying these things, just so that he could comiserate and share the pain of embarrassment among others.

Be strong, man. Don't give in to his audio voodoo!

brooklyn

« Reply #32 on: 5 Oct 2015, 06:01 pm »

You're not alone, man...Steve has made several attempts to force these fugardly beasts on me several times. I feel that he completely abused my trust, as he knows I credit him for my love of Grados and Peachtree Audio...I never expected he would try to use our friendship in order to trick more of us into buying these things, just so that he could comiserate and share the pain of embarrassment among others.

Be strong, man. Don't give in to his audio voodoo!

I knew it…. Anybody that hangs out with lizards and snakes
shouldn’t be trusted.. I’m glad I didn’t fall for any of that crap.
Thanks for the heads up ajzepp..

brooklyn

« Reply #33 on: 5 Oct 2015, 06:05 pm »
I don't want to get too into this conversation because I've not heard any planar 'phones...  But I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned the Oppo PM-3 (well, Guy 13 mentioned Oppo). ??? They've gotten lots of positive press, are easy to drive, and only cost $400.  The only drawback I see is that they're not open back.  Aren't the modded Fostex models also closed, though?

Is there something about these headphones that I'm missing?  :scratch:

Hi Megabigeye,

The fact that the Oppo PM-3 Headphones are closed back takes them out of the running for me.. I do appreciate the info..

brooklyn

« Reply #34 on: 9 Oct 2015, 01:55 am »
Hi everyone,

I checked the Audeze website recently to see if anyone in my area sold there products. I found out that some
Magnolia (Best Buy) stores started to carry them. As it turns out, they only had the EL-8’s set up and ready to
hear. The only problem was it could only be listened to though there Sony portable music player. I have
no music on my phone.

My first impression was I didn’t like the overall look of them…. I’m sure there well made but they seemed
cheep and plasticky to me, however, they were light weight and comfortable on my head. The sound didn’t
jump out at me but there was a smoothness to it and it sounded well balanced. I’m thinking a headphone
amp would have made a big difference.

Bottom line… I don’t believe I would buy that particular model but I did seem to like the Audeze sound which
means the LCD-2 are still in the running.. I’m also considering the HiFiMan HE-400i’s as a viable option at half
the price.
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2015, 07:03 am by brooklyn »

vortrex

« Reply #35 on: 9 Oct 2015, 03:18 am »
I would highly suggest the Wywires Red headphone cable.  I almost sold my LCD-3's, but with the cable, it's an entirely different headphone.  One of the best $300 I've ever spent.

brooklyn

« Reply #36 on: 1 Dec 2015, 06:51 pm »
I received the HiFiMan HE-400i’s that I bought on a Black Friday sale, I got them from Crutchfield
for 300 clams. Like I said before in my opening post, I do like bang for the buck.

My first impressions out of the box was that I received the old screw on cable connectors, apparently,
there are still a few around as stated on the HiFiMan web site. The cable itself is a little stiff and unruly
and only 5 foot long which is not a big problem for me, however, I do like the fit and finish of these
headphones.

I wore them for a couple of hours last night listening to a variety of music and found them to be very
comfortable and easy to listen to.. The Sound quality out of the box is very good so far, paperwork says
150 hour break in period.

Compared to the AKG Q701’s the HE-400i’s have a fuller, smoother sound and they also dig deeper. I
will have to see what the 150 hour break in period brings but so far, I like what I hear.

milford3

« Reply #37 on: 1 Dec 2015, 07:25 pm »
I received the HiFiMan HE-400i’s that I bought on a Black Friday sale, I got them from Crutchfield
for 300 clams. Like I said before in my opening post, I do like bang for the buck.

My first impressions out of the box was that I received the old screw on cable connectors, apparently,
there are still a few around as stated on the HiFiMan web site. The cable itself is a little stiff and unruly
and only 5 foot long which is not a big problem for me, however, I do like the fit and finish of these
headphones.

I wore them for a couple of hours last night listening to a variety of music and found them to be very
comfortable and easy to listen to.. The Sound quality out of the box is very good so far, paperwork says
150 hour break in period.

Compared to the AKG Q701’s the HE-400i’s have a fuller, smoother sound and they also dig deeper. I
will have to see what the 150 hour break in period brings but so far, I like what I hear.

Brooklyn, concrats on your purchase of the HiFiman 400i's headphones.  The planar experience is so different from dynamic types.  My LCD2's took over a hundred hours of break in time.  Welcome to the planar world.  It only gets better. :thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #38 on: 1 Dec 2015, 09:42 pm »
I understand the point above about lateral moves,but... one of the attractions of the headphone segment of the hobby is that it is easy to swap out 'phones to get better 'synergy' between a particular recording, headphone, and pair of ears. So maybe to you, 'Kind of Blue' sounds better on Headphone 'A', and Chick Corea and Bela Fleck 'Two' sounds better on Headphone 'B'. And who knows, maybe I think the opposite! Maybe the differences can be EQ'd out- and maybe not. I think of it kind of like tube rolling. Sometimes it may be a synergy thing, sometimes you just want a different flavor. Not so easy with speakers, very easy with headphones. So while the LCD-X may be "better" headphones than the HE400, whether to spend the extra cash may be somewhat of a separate question.

ctviggen

« Reply #39 on: 1 Dec 2015, 10:02 pm »
I understand the point above about lateral moves,but... one of the attractions of the headphone segment of the hobby is that it is easy to swap out 'phones to get better 'synergy' between a particular recording, headphone, and pair of ears. So maybe to you, 'Kind of Blue' sounds better on Headphone 'A', and Chick Corea and Bela Fleck 'Two' sounds better on Headphone 'B'. And who knows, maybe I think the opposite! Maybe the differences can be EQ'd out- and maybe not. I think of it kind of like tube rolling. Sometimes it may be a synergy thing, sometimes you just want a different flavor. Not so easy with speakers, very easy with headphones. So while the LCD-X may be "better" headphones than the HE400, whether to spend the extra cash may be somewhat of a separate question.

I don't know, good headphones can easily cost $400 or more.  Then add an amp (or two), and you can easily be close to $1,000 or more for a single headphone setup.  Granted, that's cheaper than buying speakers at $4k and up, but it's still pretty expensive.