Gap between panel and wall

sidders

Gap between panel and wall
« on: 29 Jun 2016, 09:48 pm »
Is there such a thing as too large a gap between a panel and a wall? My 242s are on a boom stand using the GIK brackets. The gap at the bottom is about 7 inches, and about 9 at the top. Have I just wasted a lot of money on 6 boom stands and GIK brackets?

Thanks.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
Re: Gap between panel and wall
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2016, 01:52 pm »
Is there such a thing as too large a gap between a panel and a wall? My 242s are on a boom stand using the GIK brackets. The gap at the bottom is about 7 inches, and about 9 at the top. Have I just wasted a lot of money on 6 boom stands and GIK brackets?

Thanks.

7" to 9" gap is fine.  If the panels was REALLY small (12"x12") then it would matter. I would think you can put a 242 up to a good foot off the wall or ceiling. If you put 2 panels side by side you could go even further.

sidders

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2016, 02:58 pm »
Thanks Glenn. I should have also said that the 242s are for first and second reflection points. Is that kind of gap still okay? I have a couple more questions. I have just purchased a soffit trap that is fitted with the range limiter, but I don't see that option for the soffit trap on your website. I got mine from the GIK ebay. I have a very small room. 10x10x8. Im guessing that i'm going to be okay with the range limiter in one of the back wall to wall corners, and I won't be getting interfering reflections?

I do also have another 2 full range soffits, and a full range monster. I did use to have one of each soffit's in each wall to wall corners at the back of the room, but one of them had to be moved each time I went in and out of the room because of the door. As I understand it, symmetry at the back of the room is not as important as the front. I was thinking of putting the soffit with the range limiter in the corner where I won't have to move it, and putting the 2 full range soffit's side by side to make a Monster Monster for the middle at the back.
Does that sound like a reasonable idea?

I already have Tri traps floor to ceiling at the front corners, and I'm about to put 6 244s on the ceiling to make a 6x8 area in the middle of the room. 3 244s at the front for the mixing area, and the other 3 for the recording area. I will also place some panels in the wall to ceiling areas. So far I have .........
6x Tri traps,
10x 244s/
4x 242s on boom stands for reflection points/
 3x soffit traps with one of them having the range limiter, and two Monsters. One of the Monsters has the range limiter and I was going to place that in the middle at the back, where the wall meets the ceiling.
I also have 8x versifusers, but I'm not sure if I will actually use them or not.

Here's a few pics to help.
Here you can see the soffits in the corners which I am thinking of bringing into the middle side by side, and replacing one of them with the range limiter soffit.

Many thanks

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2016, 06:56 pm »
Yes that gap is still fine in the early reflection. I am sure it is helping.

Thanks Glenn. I should have also said that the 242s are for first and second reflection points. Is that kind of gap still okay? I have a couple more questions. I have just purchased a soffit trap that is fitted with the range limiter, but I don't see that option for the soffit trap on your website. I got mine from the GIK ebay. I have a very small room. 10x10x8. Im guessing that i'm going to be okay with the range limiter in one of the back wall to wall corners, and I won't be getting interfering reflections?

We do not have it listed on the website as of yet but do recommend them when possible. Yes having it in the back corner is perfect. Infact any corner is good place for them.

Everything else you have planned seems correct.. Move forward!!!!!  :D :D

sidders

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2016, 10:30 pm »
Thanks Glenn. That's reassuring  to know.  :thumb:

G E

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2017, 01:23 am »
My DIY 2'x4' OC 703 panels have 3 door stop bumpers attached to the frame providing 3 1/2 inches gap to the drywall.  3 points in space define a plane.   Hung like picture frames.

Two per wall in 13x15x10h room. Bass traps floor to ceiling each corner.

Room "sounds" incredibly quiet but does NOT sound dead.

Amazing 3D presentation on two channel productions.