Turntables anyone?

EdRo

Turntables anyone?
« on: 2 Jul 2017, 12:21 am »
Ok guys. My thumbs almost healed since my 'lil tablesaw incident. Wrestling with large sheet goods was impossible 5 weeks ago, so when a friend approached me with a turntable plinth idea, I thought it'd be a fun way to see if my "inversion layer" that I use inside my Nimbus and Aurora cabs would reduce or remove vibration in a turntable plinth. This first iteration isn't much to look at, but after mounting his beautifully refurbished Garrad 301in this prototype plinth, he was amazed! Perfectly silent operation!
     For the final version I will make the top from a piece of reclaimed 3/4" thick corian. This plinth tipped the scales at a husky 115lbs with the turntable installed.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Turntables anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2017, 12:44 am »
Good to hear you are healing Ed. Nice unit, at that weight it should be pretty durn stable.  :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2017, 12:54 am »
What about slate? Read mixed things about corian...

Turntables are weird beasts. You're trying to stop vibrations from all directions. The most overlooked, ironically, is what goes down through the record and back up. There is a belief that any manufacturer of very high end tables has [not] accounted for that.

EdRo

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2017, 02:06 am »

Here's a pic of the plinth right after pulling it out of my form. You can see the sheer mass of inversion layer that forms the plinth. My friend was quite shocked when he put on a record...he has a refurbished 1980SX Pioneer, and the increase in bass had him jumping up to turn it down. And the silence between tracks was deep. He was very impressed. A successful experiment, I'd say!!!

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2017, 02:12 am »
I bet it will look real nice if you get it finished and painted like your speakers.