Our latest builds

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Re: Our latest builds
« Reply #40 on: 14 Dec 2013, 10:38 pm »
Now to search for your other 3 posts since signing up here, I can only imagine they're just as insightful.

In one of his posts he states that he's a woodworker.  Not sure whose wood that would be. . .

WireNut

« Reply #41 on: 14 Dec 2013, 10:41 pm »

None Ed.  It's a painted finish all around.  The only Nimbus that had a veneer insert was the pair we took to Newport Beach.

Someday I might get up the nerve to paint my DIY loudspeakers. What kind of paint would Vapor Audio recommend. I have a compressor and a paint gun but lack painting experience. I don't want to do lacquer, or do any mixing, just spray and keep my fingers crossed.
They are already primed.... Sorry for the off topic.....

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #42 on: 15 Dec 2013, 01:01 am »

Someday I might get up the nerve to paint my DIY loudspeakers. What kind of paint would Vapor Audio recommend. I have a compressor and a paint gun but lack painting experience. I don't want to do lacquer, or do any mixing, just spray and keep my fingers crossed.
They are already primed.... Sorry for the off topic.....

We're so focused on getting a nice paint job on our cabinets that we don't do it ourselves.  We leave it to the pros.  We do paint our stands with the matte black finish, but when it comes to delivering a smooth gloss finish in automotive paint, equipment is everything.  You need an excellent spray gun and a dust free environment. 

The paint isn't as important as the surface prep.  But if you have a good surface ready to go, a good quality automotive paint will do the job.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #43 on: 17 Dec 2013, 10:46 pm »
Put your bib on to catch the drool ... the new Joule White!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #44 on: 18 Dec 2013, 05:55 am »
A couple more ...

And then one of the Joule White next to a pair of Stiff Breeze with a Crystal White metallic baffle

WireNut

« Reply #45 on: 18 Dec 2013, 06:23 am »
They are absolutely beautiful  :o

Nocturne79

« Reply #46 on: 18 Dec 2013, 04:11 pm »
Great looking speakers, I really love those stiff breeze with the white fronts.  Have a great christmas!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #47 on: 18 Dec 2013, 04:23 pm »
Wow, nice!  :thumb:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #48 on: 18 Dec 2013, 04:39 pm »
Joule Whites are on their way to the new owner in the Frozen North ... enjoy!

EdRo

« Reply #49 on: 18 Dec 2013, 07:56 pm »
I swear the response #14 pics with the black Nimbus looks like the tops have a balck stained lacewood veneer on them! VERY nice!

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 18 Dec 2013, 08:57 pm »
Looks like the reflection of the ceiling to me....

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #51 on: 18 Dec 2013, 09:26 pm »
Looks like the reflection of the ceiling to me....

Very astute observation Paul.

Give that man a real cookie (not the web page kind).

sturgus

« Reply #52 on: 18 Dec 2013, 09:48 pm »
A couple more ...

And then one of the Joule White next to a pair of Stiff Breeze with a Crystal White metallic baffle

All  I can say is you make the GAS GUYS PROUD :rock: 
I gotta have a good listen to the Stiff Breeze. Keep up the excellent work

csmgolf

« Reply #53 on: 18 Dec 2013, 11:08 pm »
Those both look amazing! Are the bass sections on the Joule the stacked plywood transmission lines from a prior teaser thread? I would love to hear that set up some day.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #54 on: 18 Dec 2013, 11:35 pm »
Those both look amazing! Are the bass sections on the Joule the stacked plywood transmission lines from a prior teaser thread? I would love to hear that set up some day.

Indeed that is the case.  Bass from those TLs is among the best I've ever heard.  We'd love to have you by to hear them.  Alas, the only pair has now made its way to Minneapolis and its new owner.

We are working on a method to pair up that bass section with Cirrus so that Cirrus owners can have a truly complimentary bass bin for their speakers instead of having to try to integrate a sub.

roscoeiii

« Reply #55 on: 19 Dec 2013, 12:39 am »
How does that TL bass compare to the Nimbus bass?

csmgolf

« Reply #56 on: 19 Dec 2013, 01:07 am »
"We are working on a method to pair up that bass section with Cirrus so that Cirrus owners can have a truly complimentary bass bin for their speakers instead of having to try to integrate a sub."

And hopefully you can some day do the same with Arcus :wink:. A great TL bass system would be the ideal choice to extend the bass of those as well, IMO. Maybe something self powered would allow for matching output with the satellites.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #57 on: 19 Dec 2013, 01:17 am »
Very astute observation Paul.

Give that man a real cookie (not the web page kind).
I thought the tops of those were indeed a black stained veneer.  :scratch:
I know what Ryans ceiling looks like, and that doesn't looks like it.
(Post #14 at the bottom of page one).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd swear that one isn't a reflection.  :dunno:

Bob

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #58 on: 19 Dec 2013, 01:53 am »
I thought the tops of those were indeed a black stained veneer.  :scratch:
I know what Ryans ceiling looks like, and that doesn't looks like it.
(Post #14 at the bottom of page one).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd swear that one isn't a reflection.  :dunno:

Bob

You're seeing his popcorn ceiling treatment reflected in the top of those black Nimbus.  Trust me, there's no veneer.   :nono:

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #59 on: 19 Dec 2013, 02:02 am »
How does that TL bass compare to the Nimbus bass?

Tough call . . . Nimbus is clean, articulate, powerful, effortless, all adjectives that can apply to the Joule.  The TL is a more inert acoustic space in comparison with the vented enclosure in Nimbus.  The difference is mostly due to the use of stuffing in the TL which occupies the space between the woofer and the terminus.  The path between the woofer and port in Nimbus is a more typical vented setup, with mostly empty space between the woofer and vent.  There's a bit more upper bass "leakage" making its way out the port in Nimbus which we account for when we voice out the crossover.  Joule lacks that particular property, and the result is a "deader" bass presentation, if that makes sense.

We could probably accomplish the same inert space by moving the port on Nimbus to the rear of the cabinet which would allow for the use of stuffing to create more attenuation of the rear woofer radiation making its way out the port.  But that update is a ways down the road, though I know Ed is looking at an attractive method to pull it off.