Welcome to the Vapor Audio subforum

roscoeiii

Re: Welcome to the Vapor Audio subforum
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2013, 03:28 am »
I don't think you've heard them with the new tweeter have you?  You really need to hear the new ceramic tweet, night and day difference. 

Thanks for the kinds words.

That's right. I heard the version before the ceramic tweeter. I had heard from Pete that the ceramic tweeter is killer.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2013, 03:33 am »
That's right. I heard the version before the ceramic tweeter. I had heard from Pete that the ceramic tweeter is killer.

Yea, big difference ... like somebody lifted off the wet blanket. 

decal

« Reply #22 on: 25 Feb 2013, 03:47 am »
So, your older speaker models sounded like they had a wet blanket over them? Just curious.

roscoeiii

« Reply #23 on: 25 Feb 2013, 03:49 am »
So, your older speaker models sounded like they had a wet blanket over them? Just curious.

I can attest that even with the previous tweeter, the Auroras sounded great.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #24 on: 25 Feb 2013, 04:07 am »

It wasn't really an offical part of the lineup until I found a tweeter I was happy with.  It was a great design in search of the final piece of the puzzle.  Finding a dome tweeter that doesn't leave you wanting for a RAAL isn't easy. 

seadogs1

« Reply #25 on: 26 Feb 2013, 03:59 pm »
What is the Sundog?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #26 on: 26 Feb 2013, 04:19 pm »
What is the Sundog?

Think Baby Cirrus.  It's clever naming on our part  :)  Cirrus is a high ice cloud, a Sundog is the rainbow that forms in a Cirrus when the sun hits it at the proper angle.  So Sundogs come from Cirrus'.  And the Sundog speaker pieces are essentially what's left over after we cut a Cirrus on the CNC, the pieces left from cutting out the inside made a perfect cabinet.  Here's a pic of 2 in construction to show size comparison

So you have a stacked ply cabinet like the Cirrus, not Finite Element Analysis optimized however.  You have an AudioTech 6" woofer as opposed to the 7" in the Cirrus, and the same RAAL tweeter used in both.  The Sundog will come in sealed and ported versions, ported being about 30% bigger internal volume.  And we have a matching center channel to go along with the Sundog.  Also planned is a Sundog White that will used the Accuton C158 6" woofer.

Sundog starts at $2595/pair.  That's a lot of quality for the price! 

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #27 on: 26 Feb 2013, 05:38 pm »
This might be the sweet spot in your line-up for me. Hope one makes it to Axpona...

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #28 on: 26 Feb 2013, 05:40 pm »
What do you think of a Big Sundog... kinda like Stiff Breeze, for more sensitivity?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #29 on: 26 Feb 2013, 07:18 pm »
What do you think of a Big Sundog... kinda like Stiff Breeze, for more sensitivity?

We have one, currently it's a center channel but could easily turn the RAAL upright and make it an MTM.  It would have to be sealed only, doing it ported would make the cabinet really long.  Well, ported my be possible and make it a thin/tall floorstander.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #30 on: 26 Feb 2013, 07:40 pm »
Think Baby Cirrus.  It's clever naming on our part  :)  Cirrus is a high ice cloud, a Sundog is the rainbow that forms in a Cirrus when the sun hits it at the proper angle.  So Sundogs come from Cirrus'.  And the Sundog speaker pieces are essentially what's left over after we cut a Cirrus on the CNC, the pieces left from cutting out the inside made a perfect cabinet.  Here's a pic of 2 in construction to show size comparison

So you have a stacked ply cabinet like the Cirrus, not Finite Element Analysis optimized however.  You have an AudioTech 6" woofer as opposed to the 7" in the Cirrus, and the same RAAL tweeter used in both.  The Sundog will come in sealed and ported versions, ported being about 30% bigger internal volume.  And we have a matching center channel to go along with the Sundog.  Also planned is a Sundog White that will used the Accuton C158 6" woofer.

Sundog starts at $2595/pair.  That's a lot of quality for the price!

How GREEN is that???   :thumb:
Sweet....

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #31 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:39 pm »
Here's a full 5 channel Sundog family shot.  I'll start a thread later detailing more about just what the Sundog is.

bummrush

« Reply #32 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:43 pm »
 Those must be stunning in real life what a pic.

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #33 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:47 pm »
Here's a full 5 channel Sundog family shot.  I'll start a thread later detailing more about just what the Sundog is.

Please consider discussing there, or elsewhere, the different midrange driver choices as strengths/weaknesses? I am not familiar with these.

persisting1

« Reply #34 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:49 pm »
Wow. Looks like Vapor Audio will be turning a lot of heads in the near future. Congrats  :thumb:

HT cOz

« Reply #35 on: 27 Feb 2013, 03:22 am »
That's very cool.

MerRev

« Reply #36 on: 27 Feb 2013, 04:09 am »
Huge congratulations Ryan!

I consider the local GAS guys really lucky to have you in our backyard and being so willing to host casual listening sessions.  Your passion for this hobby shines through and it looks like you're starting to hit your stride with Vapor.   8)

merrev

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #37 on: 27 Feb 2013, 04:16 am »
So, I've got to ask, is there plans for a model with something like 3.5" midwoofer(s) and either a narrow, tall ribbon or a small mounting plate dome in the works using the cutoffs from the Sundog?  Maybe for desktop/PC speaker use?  :icon_twisted: :green:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #38 on: 27 Feb 2013, 05:18 am »
Please consider discussing there, or elsewhere, the different midrange driver choices as strengths/weaknesses? I am not familiar with these.

I'm putting together a thread to explain the Sundog and options.  In the 5 channel system pictured above, the rears are a Breeze in the Sundog cabinet ... 70-10 RAAL and Wavecor woofer.  That's not a 'standard' option, but can be done. 

And because everybody love pics, how about another showing another pair of Sundog in red dyed Sapelle under gloss with a black painted baffle, next to the Sundog center channel.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #39 on: 27 Feb 2013, 09:01 am »
So, I've got to ask, is there plans for a model with something like 3.5" midwoofer(s) and either a narrow, tall ribbon or a small mounting plate dome in the works using the cutoffs from the Sundog?  Maybe for desktop/PC speaker use?  :icon_twisted: :green:

Funny you should ask that question.  The stand bases have cutout sections of ultra-refined MDF (Plum Creek) that just happen to be perfect for a small monitor that uses a 4.5" woofer and small flange dome tweeter (CSS LD25X).  Maybe as the weather turns nicer the first prototype will finally see daylight.   :green: