richidoo

Re: The NFL Season, 17-18
« Reply #140 on: 18 Dec 2017, 02:35 am »
cute group, well 5 out of 6 anyways !

:lol:   :thumb:

stlrman

« Reply #141 on: 18 Dec 2017, 12:15 pm »
What a fucking horrid call on the Steelers!!!!!!!
An obvious touchdown called incomplete!!!
Steelers would have won the game!!
Lost a first round bye and home field advantage.
Even the sports commentators called it a travesty!!

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #142 on: 18 Dec 2017, 12:47 pm »
I still think Stafford and the Lions are sandbagging, getting the odds way up...then BAM!!! RIGHT IN THE KISSER  AND ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #143 on: 18 Dec 2017, 01:17 pm »
I saw a replay that showed Jesse James definitely let go of the ball with one hand as he recovered from contact with the ground. It was incomplete according to the NFL rules. What is at stake at the time of the call is irrelevant. Either you meet the bizarre, indefensible, confusing "catch" rules set up by the NFL or you don't. He didn't.
In the modern game, only a small percentage of catches are caught cleanly. Nowadays receivers stop the ball and  then try to gather it after the velocity has been eliminated. Overcoming the "catch" quandary is as simple as catching and holding the ball without clumsy juggling. Does anybody know why receivers knock the ball down first, then attempt to gather it in?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #144 on: 18 Dec 2017, 01:18 pm »
I still think Stafford and the Lions are sandbagging, getting the odds way up...then BAM!!! RIGHT IN THE KISSER  AND ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!
What conviction? Bet the ranch on it.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #145 on: 18 Dec 2017, 01:21 pm »
Maybe the answer lies here: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21798623/three-options-fix-nfl-catch-rule-2017

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #146 on: 18 Dec 2017, 02:53 pm »

I have never seen or heard what constitutes a "football move" in regards to a catch. One would think if a receiver has the ball with a firm grip in his hands and then turns his body and reaches for the goal line that that would result in a football move, a la Dez Bryant a few years ago.

sts9fan

« Reply #147 on: 18 Dec 2017, 03:01 pm »

Steelers could have won the game.
GOAT
Also, “football move” has not been in the rules for years.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #148 on: 18 Dec 2017, 03:11 pm »
It was debatable even considering the incomprehensible NFL rules.  AFAIK the ball can move if it touches the ground if it's in control of the player.  James had his right hand under the ball which was pressed against the back of his left hand, he never lost control of the ball or used the ground to maintain control of the ball, I feel it should have been a catch. 

That the rule is stupid is a different discussion.  Dez got robbed a couple of years ago and James got robbed yesterday.  If a running back reaches over the goal line and fumbles when the ball hits the endzone it's a touchdown, if a player fumbles the ball when it hits the ground it's not a fumble, if a receiver is deemed to be in control of the ball in the field of play and fumbles after the plane is crossed, it should still be a touchdown.

charmerci

« Reply #149 on: 18 Dec 2017, 03:40 pm »
Does anybody know why receivers knock the ball down first, then attempt to gather it in?

Because QB's throw the ball at up to 60 mph!!!  :o Though in games, it's probably around 50 on those bullets.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #150 on: 18 Dec 2017, 03:47 pm »
  That call was total BS. I am not a fan for either team. Just turned on TV and game was on. Do not watch Football any longer due to kneeling nonsense.
   Seems NE always gets the calls. FIXED to me.

charles

rodge827

« Reply #151 on: 18 Dec 2017, 04:16 pm »
The ball was caught!
Jones was on his knees caught the ball and with control broke the plane of the goal line...Touchdown!!!
How many pylon dives end up with the ball coming loose out of bounds? But there was control when the player broke the plane?
Somebody call 911 there was a robbery at Heinz field yesterday with plenty of video footage to back it up! :x

https://twitter.com/CamrynSobczak_/status/942553735900925957
Some offensive language here but telling nonetheless.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #152 on: 18 Dec 2017, 05:34 pm »
The ball was caught!
Jones was on his knees caught the ball and with control broke the plane of the goal line...Touchdown!!!
How many pylon dives end up with the ball coming loose out of bounds? But there was control when the player broke the plane?
Somebody call 911 there was a robbery at Heinz field yesterday with plenty of video footage to back it up! :x

https://twitter.com/CamrynSobczak_/status/942553735900925957
Some offensive language here but telling nonetheless.

YUP !!! Bookies must have went nuts as well.

charles

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #153 on: 18 Dec 2017, 05:43 pm »
The rules are written a certain way and the refs are instructed as to the official interpretation. According to the specifics that apply in this type of case, the call was correct. Rules for receivers concerning what constitutes a completed pass were used to determine the decision in this case. Rules for running backs (or anyone else handling a football)  are different from those that determine possession. A running back has possession or he has a fumble. Passes, which can be either complete or incomplete, have a distinct set of qualifiers including having control of the ball all the way to the ground. That same ground can cause a fumble for others but for a receiver who has yet to establish possession, any loss of control means that the pass is incomplete. I have to blame the receiver for failing to satisfy the rules, not the ref for interpreting them in a way that meets the requirements of his job but fails the expectations of partisan fans. Some parallel to this call occurs in every game in every sport in every language on the planet. Always someone feels they were robbed. I believe Gronk felt similarly cheated on a call just within the last couple of weeks. My own feeling is simple -- catch the ball in a way that can't be debated.       

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #154 on: 19 Dec 2017, 03:38 pm »
The ground can't cause a fumble.  If a runner controls the ball when contacted by an opposing player or crosses the goal line and it comes out when it hits the ground, the player is down by contact or scores a touchdown.  If a runner falls out of bounds and looses the ball they don't call it a fumble.  If a receiver catches the ball and goes to the ground in control of the ball, as in this case, then reaches across the goal line, it's a catch, then a touchdown.  NFL rules for what constitutes a catch are complete bs.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #155 on: 19 Dec 2017, 04:34 pm »
The ground can't cause a fumble.  If a runner controls the ball when contacted by an opposing player or crosses the goal line and it comes out when it hits the ground, the player is down by contact or scores a touchdown.  If a runner falls out of bounds and looses the ball they don't call it a fumble.  If a receiver catches the ball and goes to the ground in control of the ball, as in this case, then reaches across the goal line, it's a catch, then a touchdown.  NFL rules for what constitutes a catch are complete bs.

Yup ! Robbery I say.

charles

stlrman

« Reply #156 on: 19 Dec 2017, 08:02 pm »

Emil

« Reply #157 on: 19 Dec 2017, 08:49 pm »
Nevermind.
I was thinking college football rules :lol:
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2017, 10:07 pm by Emil »

rockadanny

« Reply #158 on: 19 Dec 2017, 08:49 pm »
You forgot to tack on the:   :wink:  'cause I know you're kidding. 'cause not without at least a semi-legit running game.

I went to the Browns game Sunday. On the 30 yard line, row 9 - best seat ever at a game for me. I dressed for the cold weather, but failed to consider the frozen plastic seat so had to sit on my gloves. My take away from the game: they'll be lucky to win as many as 3 games per season with their current QB and coach. Both terrible. Minimal talent on the team. Zero entertainment factor. Dismal. It was "Fan Appreciation Day". If the organization would spend half their effort and cost of "Fan Appreciation Day" on scouting and landing some talent, including a real coach ... that would show some real appreciation for their fans.

charmerci

« Reply #159 on: 19 Dec 2017, 09:33 pm »
I just happened to see a highlight from the Chi-Det game. The Lions' gray uniforms!!!  :o    :o    :o    :nono: