BI-WIRE , BI AMP

smokey

BI-WIRE , BI AMP
« on: 22 Aug 2014, 09:42 pm »
 JIM , I have a question  about BI- AMPING, I  have a old  KRELL KST 100 stereo amp sitting on my rack doing nothing just collecting dust ,would I be  able to use this stereo amp to BI- AMP and how would I connect this stereo amp to my SS 8"s   also by doing this change would  it    make a difference for the better ?  right now  I HAVE THE  SS 8"s wired with single speaker cable from my WYRED4   SX 1000  MONO"s   what do you suggest    :scratch:

thanks  JOE

srb

Re: Bi-wire, Bi-amp
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2014, 10:12 pm »
While you're waiting for a reply from Jim, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Using two stereo amplifiers for bi-amping, if they're not identical amplifiers then at least one of them will most likely need gain adjustment controls to match the amplifier gain to each set of speaker inputs so that the balance between the bass and mid/treble driver output is maintained.

Sometimes an amplifier that has superior midrange and treble qualities, such as a tube amp, is used to power the mid/treble while a more powerful solid state amp is used for the bass.

In your case, I don't think either amplifier has gain controls, and if they did I doubt you would hear any improvement unless you felt that the Krell had audibly better midrange and treble sound than the Wyred.

Besides matching the gain between amplifiers, you would have to split each channel's preamp output to feed the input of both amplifiers.  If the preamp has only one set of outputs you would have to use a Y-splitter on each output which is not always the best method because the preamp outputs see an amplifier input impedance of the two amplifiers combined in parallel and in some cases there can even be undesirable interaction - versus a preamp that has dual buffered (isolated) outputs.

In the end, even when the amplifiers are properly matched and fed a proper signal, the benefits from passive bi-amping are usually quite a bit less than active bi-amping with an electronic crossover (and bypassing the speaker's internal passive crossover).

I think I would find another home for the Krell and put some cash in your pocket.

Steve

Early B.

Re: Bi-wire, Bi-amp
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2014, 11:04 pm »
I think I would find another home for the Krell and put some cash in your pocket.

Agreed.

The WYRED4's probably sound much better than the Krell. Even if you could easily bi-amp without adjusting for gain, etc., the Krell would likely not improve on what you already have.

Austin08

Re: BI-WIRE , BI AMP
« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2014, 01:16 am »
I had owned several Krell amps for quite sometime. They were all have great control, dynamic and slam but I would never considered them as midrange magic. Their midrange were ussually on cold side and the top end while very razor sharp but can be bright if not carefully marching with other electronics and wires.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2014, 05:23 pm »
I tried biamping my Soundscape 10s with the low end having an amp with an adjustable volume control to match
tubes on top, solid state on the bottom
I ended up getting the beefier Van Alstine 600r which is a hybrid tube/solid state mosfet

I didn't like it nearly as well as running from one set of amps

do you bi-wire or jumper?

I found the bi-wire to b a big plus

I enjoy Acoustic Zen Matrix Plus (the original) great tonal balance and have found an even better cable
Crimson Audio out of Austin Texas

srb

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2014, 06:04 pm »
I didn't like it [passive bi-amping] nearly as well as running from one set of amps

I had a pair of identical 125W X 2 stereo amplifiers bi-amping a pair of two-way speakers and preferred the sound (better bass and dynamic response at medium to high volumes) after replacing them with a single 200W X 2 stereo amplifier from the same manufacturer / model series.

Steve