microRendu power connector takes things up to 11

tme110

Re: microRendu power connector takes things up to 11
« Reply #60 on: 19 Sep 2016, 07:58 pm »
May be unrelated but my microrendu is running very hot.  Almost too hot to touch, got to be >120F.  That can't be normal.  Warm, yes, but hand burn no.  Its power supply is currently iFi.

Did you figure out the 'hot' issue too?  Mine also got too hot to touch this weekend and I haven't been able to play DSD128 since that happened.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #61 on: 19 Sep 2016, 11:39 pm »
Did you figure out the 'hot' issue too?  Mine also got too hot to touch this weekend and I haven't been able to play DSD128 since that happened.

Hi tme110,

If you feed microRendu 7V (it might help to test the voltage to confirm it is correct), it should not get too hot to touch.  If it is really that hot, then I recommend you contact Sonore about it as there could be something wrong.

It will get warm, but "too hot to touch" does not sound normal to me. 

Cheers,

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #62 on: 20 Sep 2016, 12:57 am »
It's not as hot now, I really didn't do anything except make sure it was in a well ventilated area.  I'm not sure it was too hot last time. 

Vinnie you're cross contaminating forums! :)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #63 on: 20 Sep 2016, 02:25 am »
It's not as hot now, I really didn't do anything except make sure it was in a well ventilated area.  I'm not sure it was too hot last time. 

Vinnie you're cross contaminating forums! :)
Position it so it's sitting on ti's side (long dimension horizontal) so the air flows up both the top and bottom.  This will help and it will only slightly warm to the touch.  20-30*F above ambient is normal for most electrical devices.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #64 on: 20 Sep 2016, 02:32 am »
Position it so it's sitting on ti's side (long dimension horizontal) so the air flows up both the top and bottom.  This will help and it will only slightly warm to the touch.  20-30*F above ambient is normal for most electrical devices.

Good idea--maybe tough with the triode wire usb interconnect but I think I can take it a step further and put some feet on it so it can get some bottom flow.

tme110

« Reply #65 on: 20 Sep 2016, 12:36 pm »
It was going fine.  I was using the mrendu for at least 2 full straight days of listening.  Then I downloaded HQplayer for a trial, and upsampled everything to DSD128.  No problems.  A while later the music just stopped and when I touched the mRendu I thought it was going to melt.  I wasn't able to play anything at any rate last night until I turned HQplayer off and just listed normally.  I only got to redbook by the time I went to bed though.  I'll be contacting sonore but last night I was busy trying to decide if the current issue was my computer or network or mRendu or what.  I know I've got about 1000 cycles on my mute relay at this point.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #66 on: 10 Oct 2016, 01:59 pm »
Here's another question that Vinnie has answered for me in the past but I'm having trouble again.  Has anyone had a hard time getting the microrendu to recognize the DAC based on the order in which they were powered on?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #67 on: 10 Oct 2016, 04:55 pm »
Here's another question that Vinnie has answered for me in the past but I'm having trouble again.  Has anyone had a hard time getting the microrendu to recognize the DAC based on the order in which they were powered on?

No, but if you're using the µRednu with the LIO and power from the LIO Dac it will only really work on way. Power on the LIO including the amp if your LIO has it.  Then select "d_3" as your input and you should then see the lights come on the µRendu.  Once that has happened you should be good to go.  Of course give the µRendu about 45 seconds to boot up. 

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #68 on: 10 Oct 2016, 05:35 pm »

No, but if you're using the µRednu with the LIO and power from the LIO Dac it will only really work on way. Power on the LIO including the amp if your LIO has it.  Then select "d_3" as your input and you should then see the lights come on the µRendu.  Once that has happened you should be good to go.  Of course give the µRendu about 45 seconds to boot up.

Yes, I figured that.  That being said I still cannot to get it to work.  Frustrating.  I've kind of been having microrendu problems from the beginning and am about ready to deep-six it.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 10 Oct 2016, 05:42 pm »
Yes, I figured that.  That being said I still cannot to get it to work.  Frustrating.  I've kind of been having microrendu problems from the beginning and am about ready to deep-six it.
That's so strange as mine has been flawless for the most part.  It' s computer after-all.  Can you see it on your phone or computer? 

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #70 on: 10 Oct 2016, 05:44 pm »
That's so strange as mine has been flawless for the most part.  It' s computer after-all.  Can you see it on your phone or computer?

It's popping up as a networked device ok, but it's also doing that thing again where it's getting WAY overheated.  I propped it on its side and put a fan on it, but it's still now hot enough to slowly fry an egg.  I just unplugged it and am going to send it back to Jesus tomorrow.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: 10 Oct 2016, 05:46 pm »
It's popping up as a networked device ok, but it's also doing that thing again where it's getting WAY overheated.  I propped it on its side and put a fan on it, but it's still now hot enough to slowly fry an egg.  I just unplugged it and am going to send it back to Jesus tomorrow.
So you're telling me that's it's so hot you can't keep a finger on it? 

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #72 on: 10 Oct 2016, 05:53 pm »
So you're telling me that's it's so hot you can't keep a finger on it?

I could leave my finger on it for about five to seven seconds.  It's probably 140-ish fahrenheit.  It did this a while ago and then it stopped.  Had no difference how well ventilated it was, but I switched iFi power supplies and that helped.   

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #73 on: 10 Oct 2016, 06:01 pm »
I could leave my finger on it for about five to seven seconds.  It's probably 140-ish fahrenheit.  It did this a while ago and then it stopped.  Had no difference how well ventilated it was, but I switched iFi power supplies and that helped.
That's bizarre.  I have mine from the LIO (either one actually as I have two) and it doesn't get that hot.  Warm but not hot.  20*F - 30*F over ambient is pretty normal for electronics but 140*F or so is really warm. 

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #74 on: 12 Oct 2016, 03:40 pm »
BTW I have two nanopi neos that I won't be using that I'm willing to give to someone.  They're the super stripped version that does not have ethernet in or usb out--you'd have to use the GPIO pin to access the boards, but hey' they're free :).  PM me if you'd like them.

Theobetley

« Reply #75 on: 14 Oct 2016, 01:36 pm »
Vinnie is there a limit to current from the 7 volt port to run the uRendu? I am thinking of running a y cable from it then power a Regen and the  uRendu.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #76 on: 14 Oct 2016, 01:44 pm »
Vinnie is there a limit to current from the 7 volt port to run the uRendu? I am thinking of running a y cable from it then power a Regen and the  uRendu.
That will be fine.  However, you really don't need to use the REGEN with the µRendu as it already has it built in.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #77 on: 14 Oct 2016, 03:30 pm »

Hi Theobetley,

I agree with jtwrace that it does not make sense to use the USB regen in front of the microRendu, as the USB regen circuit is already in the microRendu.  And then you'd need another USB cable to connect from the USB regen to the microRendu, correct?

But if you wanted to run them both from the LIO DAC's microRendu output, it *should* be ok (but I have NOT tested this to confirm with 100% certainty).

Vinnie

Theobetley

« Reply #78 on: 14 Oct 2016, 05:05 pm »
Thanks to both of you. I know that the Rendu has a Regen in it but before I had the uRendu I used double Regens to great affect.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #79 on: 14 Oct 2016, 06:06 pm »
Would a third regen create even better SQ?  :roll: I starts to get ridiculous. I'm certainly interested in purchasing the microrendu but I hate that feeling that there's always another gizmo needed to get that little extra improvement along with the extra cables.. :roll: