New to the family...

PSB Guy

New to the family...
« on: 24 Feb 2012, 01:59 pm »
On February 21st, I finally took the plunge and ordered a pair of Salks to compliment my AVA electronics. Nothing fancy, a pair of standard SongBirds in red oak with open grain, dyed black. I am thrilled, to say the least. So I guess now I am officially no longer PSB Guy, I'm just me with a nice stereo. Pics to follow after the long wait, but no hurry Jim, I know quality takes time.

Cornelis
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2012, 08:04 pm by PSB Guy »

Big Red Machine

Re: New to the family...
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2012, 03:06 pm »
Are coming for AKFest end of April and perhaps picking them up then? Wait, that would be too long a wait.  Well, you can always come over for that anyways.

PMAT

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2012, 03:12 pm »
Procrastinated Salk Buyer.....Still PSB

PSB Guy

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2012, 03:35 pm »
Are coming for AKFest end of April and perhaps picking them up then? Wait, that would be too long a wait.  Well, you can always come over for that anyways.
Could be waiting that long anyways, but it's cool...  8)
Procrastinated Salk Buyer.....Still PSB
I guess so  :thumb: ...better late than never, I suppose. It's a small system for my small living room, but still world class in my eyes and ears. Cheers.

Cornelis

CMYKjill

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2012, 06:01 pm »
My speakers arrived this week. The wait was tough, but I am so happy now. I can't wait for the weekend to begin!  :D

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2012, 06:30 pm »
Congrats PSB (cough:SALK:cough) guy!  Welcome to the Salk family and I look forward to your further impressions and pictures.

pansixt

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2012, 03:11 am »
Congrats Cornelis,

I asked Jim for advice on some Song Towers in Cedar.

Red Cedar is my choice.
I was thinking the full front with no baffle, now I am not so sure.
The front with a grille cover would be nice.
Maybe the aluminum baffle would look good with a Cedar cabinet.
I'll give my PSB's to my nephew. For now.

James

Richard in Idaho

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2012, 04:21 am »

there is nothing standard about the Songbirds. I love mine. I just need a preamp/amp from AVA.

PSB Guy

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2012, 07:20 pm »
there is nothing standard about the Songbirds. I love mine. I just need a preamp/amp from AVA.
By standard, I meant with no upgrades, of course  :D. BTW, Richard, it was your posts which ultimately steered me towards the 'Birds...thanks.
Congrats Cornelis,

I asked Jim for advice on some Song Towers in Cedar.

Red Cedar is my choice.
I was thinking the full front with no baffle, now I am not so sure.
The front with a grille cover would be nice.
Maybe the aluminum baffle would look good with a Cedar cabinet.
I'll give my PSB's to my nephew. For now.

James

...and it was James' system who made me realize the PSB's could be used with fine electronics like AVA, so you both played a part in building my final system.

Cornelis

CMYKjill

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2012, 10:21 pm »
James, what about silver baffles? Look at the ones Jim did for me (silver auto paint), they came out really nice. I think silver would look great with cedar.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=103572.0

pansixt

« Reply #10 on: 29 Feb 2012, 12:37 am »
Jill,
The silver paint does look great and not too much bling.
The outriggers match and look great also.
They would look more mellow with the Cedar. Decisions, Decisions.  :roll:
James
« Last Edit: 29 Feb 2012, 01:42 am by pansixt »

Richard in Idaho

« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2012, 06:06 pm »
Yea, I knew what you really meant. After you have them up and running you will know what I meant. Maybe Jim would not agree but at the price of the Songbirds I think that dollar for dollar they may be the best buy he has. And, yes I would love a pair of Sound Scape 12s.

PSB Guy

« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2012, 07:31 pm »
Maybe Jim would not agree but at the price of the Songbirds I think that dollar for dollar they may be the best buy he has.
That's not the first time I've read this opinion of the Songbirds. It's one of the reasons I chose them, along with the small size of my listening/living room, and the fact that I have absolutely no choice on placement. Patiently waiting...

Cornelis

jd3

« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2012, 10:30 pm »
You will love your Songbirds.  They image like crazy and are probably the best value in the Salk lineup.  I've used mine in both 2 channel and HT systems and they excel in both, but their 2 channel performance is really impressive.

John

PSB Guy

Re: New to the family...THE HORROR...
« Reply #14 on: 27 Mar 2012, 08:14 pm »
So the SongBirds arrived today, and they're BEAUTIFUL, works or art really. I hook them up, make sure the volume is all the way down on my amp and turn on my system. I hear a crackling sound from the left speaker, and I see the woofer slowly move from the in to the out position, and there's a burning smell. Weird. Next step, I turn the volume up slowly about quarter way, and start playing Blue Train. No sound from the left speaker, I'm freaking. Called Salk, got Jim on the line and long story short, after talking me through some steps, he figures the woofer is blown and he is sending me a replacement. I'm disappointed that I can't enjoy my SongBirds right away, but I really think it's cool that when you call Salk, you're more than likely going to get a hold of Jim.

Cornelis

R Swerdlow

« Reply #15 on: 27 Mar 2012, 08:45 pm »
So the SongBirds arrived today, and they're BEAUTIFUL, works or art really. I hook them up, make sure the volume is all the way down on my amp and turn on my system. I hear a crackling sound from the left speaker, and I see the woofer slowly move from the in to the out position, and there's a burning smell. Weird. Next step, I turn the volume up slowly about quarter way, and start playing Blue Train. No sound from the left speaker, I'm freaking. Called Salk, got Jim on the line and long story short, after talking me through some steps, he figures the woofer is blown and he is sending me a replacement. I'm disappointed that I can't enjoy my SongBirds right away, but I really think it's cool that when you call Salk, you're more than likely going to get a hold of Jim.

Cornelis

Sorry you can't enjoy listening to both your new SongBirds.  After the long wait, it has to be frustrating to be able to look at them, but not hear them.  Well at least you can listen in mono, or right channel only.

Yes, Jim is a stand up guy.  Hope the replacement woofer gets there soon.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 27 Mar 2012, 09:18 pm »
Are we sure it is the woofer and not a xover issue?  Would it be prudent to try the other speaker's woofer in this unit to verify?

Austin08

« Reply #17 on: 27 Mar 2012, 10:20 pm »
Too bad, you could not enjoy your new speaker. Hopefully, everything will be fixed soon. Keep us update on the working progress.

mathgeek97

« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2012, 03:24 pm »

Cornelis

Had the same thing happen to me after FedEx manhandled my HT2-TLs.  I also heard crackling from one of the drivers, but I stopped playing before any weird burning smells started. :D
Called Jim, who was kind, courteous, and of course, helpful.  He shipped me out a new driver and talked me through the replacement (it was very simple and quick) and I've been enjoying my speakers ever since!

PSB Guy

« Reply #19 on: 30 Mar 2012, 07:02 pm »
Had the same thing happen to me after FedEx manhandled my HT2-TLs.  I also heard crackling from one of the drivers, but I stopped playing before any weird burning smells started. :D
Called Jim, who was kind, courteous, and of course, helpful.  He shipped me out a new driver and talked me through the replacement (it was very simple and quick) and I've been enjoying my speakers ever since!
I don't want to blame anyone, there's no way I could prove anything. Jim was great with me on the phone, even called me back when I accidentally hung up. He sent out a replacement driver the same day, and FedEx tried to deliver it yesterday and again today, but they always show up in the morning when I'm at work. No biggie, I'm gonna pick it up on Monday at FedEx in Whitby, hopefully I'll be up and running the same day.

Cornelis