Upgrade path for system with TWL Power Cords -- Where to start?

danvprod

I am wanting to eventually upgrade the stock cords on my system to Triode Wire Labs power cables. Wondering where the start for the biggest bang for the buck?

Attached is an annotated picture of my system. Items in orange are seemly off the table as the turntable has a captive power cord and the LCR Mk III has a wall wart.

Also, wondering which cords I should consider? I was sort of thinking the Ten Plus for the Amps (tube amp + two plate amps) and Digital for the MHDT. Although the twelve plus for everything would also be another option.

Potentially thinking that I should start with the source, would it make sense to get a Digital for the DAC first, followed by my Decware amp followed by my plate amps if I wanted to do it in stages?

I'd be plugging these into a P.I. Audio group Buss.

dpatters

I would work from the outlet and then through the rest of the system.  If you haven't upgraded the electrical outlet, I would start there first.  I think a Seven Plus from the wall to the UberBuss would be a great start. Digital Americans for DAC.  HP Digital American for any Class D amplification, and Ten Plus for analog sources or other components.

Triode Pete and Dave from PI Audio are always willing to offer great advice!!

Best of luck.

Don P.

danvprod

Thanks, Don!

I did upgrade the outlet to a Hubbell HBL5262GY 15A 125V specification grade duplex receptacle.

Great suggestions here.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
I've always found the most effect on sources, then power.  I'd think in your system, I'd start with the DAC and follow with the amp. 

Wind Chaser

I've always found the most effect on sources, then power.  I'd think in your system, I'd start with the DAC and follow with the amp.

+1

I'd also like to suggest that before you try a power cord (regardless of brand, price etc) try putting a medical isolation transformer in front of your DAC. I took this advice from one of our departed members, and it completely levelled the difference between a $300 DAC and a very highly regarded $3000 DAC. The transformers I bought were less than $100 each!!

Nick77

Buy the loom. haha

danvprod

The transformers I bought were less than $100 each!!

Very interesting idea. And I suppose if you are just using it in front of the DAC it doesn't need to be huge in terms of max VA because the power draw is so low.

My amp manufacturer also recommends a 500 VA isolation transformer before the tube amp as well.

Any specific recommendation on brand etc.?

Triode Pete

Howdy,
I usually suggest the following (specific to your case) for the "biggest bang for the buck";

1) Preamp - "Ten Plus"
2) DAC - "Digital American"
3) Amplifiers - "Seven Plus" or "Ten Plus" on the Decware; "High Power Digital Americans" or standard "Digital Americans" on the Rhythmic plate amps...

I hope this helps...

Thank you for your consideration.

Cheers,
Pete

Early B.

I would work from the outlet and then through the rest of the system.  I think a Seven Plus from the wall to the UberBuss would be a great start.

I agree that the best cord should be the one from the wall to the MiniBuss. This cord along with the Mini determines how much of an improvement (or not) the other cords will make. Then start from the source backwards.

danvprod

Just some feedback on these now that I have had them in my system for a few months. I ended up getting two of the "Eight Americans" for my A370 amps and a Eight+ for my Mini Torii tube amp. All three of these go into my MiniBuss. I am going to be using one of Dave's (P.I. Audio Group) PCs for the MiniBuss to the wall that he is building custom for me. I plan on getting a digital american for my DAC and I actually ended up selling both my phono preamp and my preamp.

My new phono pre is a battery powered Sutherland Ph3D, which doesn't require a PC.

I may try out a small isolation transformer on the DAC first. I've been looking at a Dale IT200.

re: the TWL PCs. All I can say is that I am impressed. They have more of everything. More dynamics, more bass, more finesse, more clarity and more blacker backgrounds. The improvement was not subtle.

Plus they have the benefit of being incredibly easy to route due to their heavy, but supple nature.

Pete, consider me a customer for life.  :D

Early B.

Glad to hear you got great results with TWL cables. I'm sure you'll get equally good results from the custom cord Dave is building for you.

Next phase -- upgrading your electrical outlets starting at the wall, then two on the MiniBuss. The sonic improvements are just as startling as the power cord upgrades you've experienced. Hard to believe, I know.

Triode Pete

Just some feedback on these now that I have had them in my system for a few months. I ended up getting two of the "Eight Americans" for my A370 amps and a Eight+ for my Mini Torii tube amp. All three of these go into my MiniBuss. I am going to be using one of Dave's (P.I. Audio Group) PCs for the MiniBuss to the wall that he is building custom for me. I plan on getting a digital american for my DAC and I actually ended up selling both my phono preamp and my preamp. 

re: the TWL PCs. All I can say is that I am impressed. They have more of everything. More dynamics, more bass, more finesse, more clarity and more blacker backgrounds. The improvement was not subtle.

Plus they have the benefit of being incredibly easy to route due to their heavy, but supple nature.

Pete, consider me a customer for life.  :D

Cool... I'm glad you're happy with the cables! "If you're happy, I'm happy!!!"

Cheers,
Pete