TWL Ethernet Cables, anyone???

Triode Pete

TWL Ethernet Cables, anyone???
« on: 13 Dec 2016, 11:23 pm »
More and more music lovers are moving to computer based systems and using NAS for storage. We all know that every piece of wire and termination has an effect on sound quality (SQ).  Ethernet is no different.  I have an ethernet cable in the wings that sounds very, very good.  Open and honest with tremendous clarity.

Any interest out there?  If so, what lengths are you looking for? How about a 6 ft. long TWL Ethernet tour cable???

Let me know if anyone is interested!

Cheers,
Pete

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: TWL Ethernet Cables, anyone???
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2016, 11:29 pm »
Will they each be measured/tested like the BJC?  One of the biggest fails in Ethernet cables is that most do not meet spec due to improper termination. 

Triode Pete

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2016, 11:37 pm »
Will they each be measured/tested like the BJC?  One of the biggest fails in Ethernet cables is that most do not meet spec due to improper termination.

Of course, Jason! All of my cables are tested to standards (& "burned-in") prior to shipment...

Improper Termination??? - not from TWL! C'mon., Jason..

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2016, 12:05 am »
Of course, Jason! All of my cables are tested to standards (& "burned-in") prior to shipment...

Improper Termination??? - not from TWL! C'mon., Jason..
Sweet!  Are you using the Fluke DTX-1800?
I'm not saying that you do...just pointing that out.  I'm sure you've read a lot about the topic so I will not link here. 

That all said will you offer all lengths in 1' increments? 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2016, 12:22 am »
I would be interested Pete.

A 6' cable would be fine for me.

George

gregcss

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2016, 12:24 am »
I'd have to measure again, but I have 25' cat 5/6 cable from the FIOS router to a switch in the living room. Then a few 3ft-5ft cables, one to a each device including a Squeezebox Touch. I'm betting that would cost more than I am willing to spend.

Triode Pete

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2016, 12:28 am »
I would be interested Pete.

A 6' cable would be fine for me.

George

OK, George, you will be first on the "tour"... just give me a little time to get it to you...

Thanks,
Pete

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2016, 01:12 am »
I'm in. 6' fine here too. NAS to Router, Router to Server (endpoint). Since your cable is honest, I will be too  ;)

Triode Pete

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2016, 02:37 pm »
I'm in. 6' fine here too. NAS to Router, Router to Server (endpoint). Since your cable is honest, I will be too  ;)

OK, Paul, you will be #2 on the list...

Cheers,
Pete

mikeeastman

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2016, 02:47 pm »
I'll give it a try. I only need about 3' but the 6' will work.

Thanks, Mike

hi5harry

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2016, 03:00 pm »
I would love to hear the difference. If you ever send out a 20 footer for tour, I'm in. Pete's power cables and now his Discreet usb cable have been very nice upgrades in my system. No wonder he ALWAYS wins best of show.

Ern Dog

« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2016, 03:36 pm »
I'd be interested in trying this.  It would go between my Apple extreme router and Aurender.  6' is fine.  Thanks

this_is_vv

« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2016, 06:12 pm »
Interested as well. If possible will need two 6 cable . One from nas to switch  second from switch  to caps

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2016, 06:53 pm »
I'm interested in joining the tour. I've tried a few different ethernet cables lately and surprised at how different they can sound.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2016, 07:24 pm »
Aside from good craftsmanship, will there be any unique or innovative features in your ethernet cables?

Triode Pete

« Reply #15 on: 15 Dec 2016, 01:56 am »
Aside from good craftsmanship, will there be any unique or innovative features in your ethernet cables?

Howdy rajacat,
Once again for Digital Cables, I'm partnering with PI Audio Group (Dave Elledge) on the R&D & manufacturing...

As far as ethernet cables go, there is a non-standard lay for the cables instead of simple twisted pair.  The wire itself is the fastest (velocity of propagation) wire that we can find and it does not have individual foil shields.  The foil makes for decreased leading edges at audio frequencies. Also, one of the recipe secrets is our proprietary cryogenic treatment...

I'll update the "tour list" shortly...

Cheers,
Pete

Tubeburner

« Reply #16 on: 27 Dec 2016, 06:06 am »
Count me in if there is room on the list. I ordered the URendu so this will be a good test for me.  :D

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #17 on: 27 Dec 2016, 02:58 pm »
The foil makes for decreased leading edges at audio frequencies.

Can you elaborate?  I tought ethernet used bi-directional packets sent at 10/100/1000 Mbits/sec.

Thanks

Triode Pete

« Reply #18 on: 28 Dec 2016, 08:37 pm »
Can you elaborate?  I tought ethernet used bi-directional packets sent at 10/100/1000 Mbits/sec.

Thanks

As I comprehend it, Digital audio transmission has a low speed requirement in comparison to fast Ethernet or Gigabit requirements that are aimed at bulk data and video transmission. Foil shielding adds capacitance that causes audible ringing (jitter) that obscures low level detail. It is a time domain phenomena.

Pete

srb

« Reply #19 on: 28 Dec 2016, 08:45 pm »
Ethernet data transmission is not digital audio until a receiving digital audio renderer converts it to such.

Steve