Triode Wire Labs USB cables & the µRendu "Dongle"

Triode Pete

I have been working with "My Brother in Audio, Dave Elledge (PI Audio Group)" on a few new USB products...

The new USB cables include a "Split Power & Data" design as well as a short, USB "Dongle" used very recently at the 2016 Newport Audio Show on Vinnie Rossi's DHT Pre LIO integrated amplifier with a µRendu...

Here's a very recent question posted by Jonathon Janusz on Vinnie Rossi's Circle. In fairness to Vinnie, I brought it to my circle since these are cable questions...

Hey, Pete!  Glad you guys had another great show!  How about some of the following (for me and or the crowd watching at home):

1) Price?
2) Can it also be made in more traditional cable lengths? 
3) Is this cable across the board better as a dongle as short as it can be made, or is there a sweet spot in cable length for performance like some of the other USB cables on the market?
4) Any details to share in regards to the build of the cable (connectors, termination, cryo, etc.)?
5) I'm guessing stiff vs. flexible is solid core vs. stranded wire?  Any performance difference between the two?
6) I'm assuming that this cable is designed not to pass power via the USB bus, or are the power connections still there but unused in the case of the uRendu?

That should get the conversation started.  :green:  Feel free to move some of this to a thread in your circle if more appropriate to break off this topic so this thread stays on track with reports from the show. :)

[Edit] Oh, and say Hi to Dave for me!  :thumb:

Hey Jonathon-
Here's some answers to your questions -
1) Price? - $149
2) Can it also be made in more traditional cable lengths?  YES, but the short 7-3/4" dongle sounds really good & other lengths need to be a fraction of a certain length to sound its best (BTW- 1 meter length does not sound so good, but 1.5 meter does!)
3) Is this cable across the board better as a dongle as short as it can be made, or is there a sweet spot in cable length for performance like some of the other USB cables on the market? - See Answer #2 above...
4) Any details to share in regards to the build of the cable (connectors, termination, cryo, etc.)? Cryo'd copper wire with "organic" materials that are compatible with USB signal transmission and does not degrade the sound...
5) I'm guessing stiff vs. flexible is solid core vs. stranded wire?  Any performance difference between the two? We're (Dave E & I) are still working on the flexible design... Wire remains the same between the two but making the stiff version is easier but not practical for most users. The production version will be flexible...
6) I'm assuming that this cable is designed not to pass power via the USB bus, or are the power connections still there but unused in the case of the uRendu? Most devices require a 5V handshake to get the process going and very importantly, there is a reference ground leg... Therefore, the power connection is still there but not really used.
The production versions can be purchased at Triode Wire Labs or PI Audio Group...

I also have special "regular" USB cable debuting very soon that "splits" the power & data legs, in 0.75m & 1.5m lengths...

Thanks,
Pete

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Triode Wire Labs USB cables & the µRendu "Dongle"
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2016, 09:45 pm »
Can't wait to try it in my system very soon...

Looks like a great product Pete at a very reasonable price.

George

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2016, 09:57 pm »
COOL. :D

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2016, 07:17 pm »
Pete,

Any update on when the production versions will be available?

George

mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2016, 11:19 pm »
Hi Pete,

$149 for the dongle too?

Thanks
-Mike

Triode Pete

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2016, 11:29 pm »
Pete,

Any update on when the production versions will be available?

George
George-
You should be receiving yours on Friday or Saturday... More in production for later next week.

Hi Pete,

$149 for the dongle too?

Thanks
-Mike

Mike - the short, flexible one cable dongle is $149 and the 0.75m Split Power / Data USB cable is $329.

Cheers,
Pete

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2016, 07:00 pm »
How does one order one of these?  Went to the Triode and PI website and couldn't find them.

Thx

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2016, 07:24 pm »
I have been using mine for a few weeks now and I can give it a "highly recommended" endorsement!   :thumb: :thumb:

Here are the notes I sent to Pete and Dave:

More refined sounding across the board
Treble - less splashy sounding, better decay and detail
Midrange - less sibilant, more weight and depth in vocals, punchier sounding
Bass - stronger and more articulate 
Initial attack of the notes is spot on and really draws me in

I compared their dongle to the stock adapter that came with the microRendu and the Paul Pang Red USB cable.

George

Triode Pete

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2016, 07:44 pm »
How does one order one of these?  Went to the Triode and PI website and couldn't find them.

Thx

Shoot me a PM with your email address & I'll send you a detailed PayPal invoice.

Sorry, I need to get my new cable products professionally photographed and then updated on my website... Been very busy with audio shows, family, life, etc...

Thank you for understanding,
Pete

ACHiPo

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2016, 11:16 pm »
Would the effect on an Amber Uptone be expected to be similar to those with the uRendu?

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2016, 12:06 am »
I've got two of these right now and am loving them!  One from the microrendu to the LIO and one from a sonicorbiter to a Schiit modi multibit.

findog3103

« Reply #11 on: 26 Aug 2016, 01:23 am »
The split power and data cable in my system added much detail and heft to my already wonderful sound. Highly recommended.

Triode Pete

« Reply #12 on: 26 Aug 2016, 01:39 pm »
Would the effect on an Amber Uptone be expected to be similar to those with the uRendu?

Yes, the "Dongle" should work wonderfully with the UpTone Audio Regen Amber!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2016, 07:31 pm »
The split power and data cable in my system added much detail and heft to my already wonderful sound. Highly recommended.
I've got two of these right now and am loving them!  One from the microrendu to the LIO and one from a sonicorbiter to a Schiit modi multibit.

Thanks, guys! I appreciate your kind accolades!!!

Cheers,
Pete

rpf

« Reply #14 on: 26 Aug 2016, 11:27 pm »

I use one on the Uptone Regen and, yes, it is excellent. Better IMS than the much vaunted Curious Regen cable.

WG

« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2016, 08:03 pm »
Pete worked with me for a bit longer version of the "Spirit" Dongle--.75m length.  It has been in use nearly 2 weeks now.  I have been using with the Rossi LIO DHT and the microRendu.  I do not have sufficient space shelf space behind my LIO to accommodate the microRendu connected to the normal shorter "Spirit" Dongle and provide support for the microRendu and Dongle that I wanted.   I instead elected to curve the additional length "Spirit" from the back of the LIO to the side of the LIO where the microRendu is supported by the shelf.

My opinion is the "Spirit" does not color the presentation.  I find that characteristic as well from my use of several of Pete's power cables.   "Spirit" imaging is quite good with perceived differences in depth for various instruments and vocals.  The "Spirit" general characteristics seem to fall between two other cables I have--Paul Pang Red v2 and Wireworld Platinum Starlight.  Paul Pang is wider, more recessed and warmer.  With some dacs, it can seem too diffuse.  The Platinum Starlight is more forward and has reduced width.  Sound is very clear and dynamic.  The "Spirit" seems to occupy more of the middle ground between the characteristics of these two.  During my testing this "Spirit" Dongle has worked well with the LIO DHT, which by design removes the influence of interconnect cabling and system grid power. 

Thanks Pete

Will

Ern Dog

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2016, 08:28 pm »
Better IMS than the much vaunted Curious Regen cable.

I use the curious usb cable and love it!  Can you say more about how the TWL usb cable sounds better?

rpf

« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2016, 09:38 pm »
I use the curious usb cable and love it!  Can you say more about how the TWL usb cable sounds better?

The Curious cable is highly resolving but has a touch of the dryness to the upper mids and highs that silver/silver plated cables always have in my hearing.

The Triode/PI cable has a fuller, more harmonically rich sound throughout the frequency spectrum, while still also being highly resolving.

Ern Dog

« Reply #18 on: 28 Aug 2016, 12:11 am »
The Curious cable is highly resolving but has a touch of the dryness to the upper mids and highs that silver/silver plated cables always have in my hearing.

The Triode/PI cable has a fuller, more harmonically rich sound throughout the frequency spectrum, while still also being highly resolving.

Thanks Rpf, Sounds right up my alley. 

Triode Pete

« Reply #19 on: 3 Sep 2016, 03:05 pm »
In addition to the µRendu USB "Dongle", I have a slightly longer (~16" or ~ 40cm) USB cable available called the "Discreet".

Whereas the "Dongle" is very, very good, the slightly longer "Discreet" USB cable has a bit more "clarity" and "punch"...

Cheers,
Pete