My Capacitor comparisons: Mundorfs, VCap, Sonicap Platinum, Auricap, etc

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
I put in a pair of .22 Jupiter caps into my speaker crossovers on my Serenity Acoustic Super 7's.  I used them to bypass the 10uf tweeter cap and the 15uf midrange cap, both of which are ClarityCap MR.  The improvement was, uhm, substantial.  It's like switching from a good SS amp to a good tube amp.  Less edge, less hardness, more natural instrumental sound.  Greater clarity at lower levels, which means I have to turn the volume up less but can still hear everything.  Better defined soundstage space and instrumental placement within that space.  Things like that.

Yup, I'm using 50 uf ESA bypassed with 2.2 uf Jupiter copper for a 1st order midrange xo and the result is excellent, almost as good as no cap at all. And price is reasonable... well, relatively. ;)

mikeeastman

Tyson, what bypass caps did the Jupiters replace?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Tyson, what bypass caps did the Jupiters replace?

Originally I had the Sonicap Gen 1's bypass with Sonicap Platinums.  Then I moved to the Clarity Cap MR with no bypass.  I thought it was a slight improvement, but mostly just a sideways move.  Then I bypassed the MRs with the Jupiters and that's when the magic happened. 

I.Greyhound Fan

I just replaced the 10uF 630v capacitors in my Pass B1 preamp.  I was using a pair of Clarity ESA's and just swapped in a pair of Obbligato Gold's, same value.  Right off the bat with no break in there was a noticeable difference.  The sound stage became more 3D or holographic.  The overall sound is a bit softer and less forward with more air and transparency.  Bass is toned down slightly which is a good thing because the preamp has way too much bass.  Treble has more air and detail.  It is also a bit more prominent.  The sound stage is much wider and taller.  They definitely are a bit on the warm side like the Clarity ESA's. I don't have the caps soldered in yet.  They are connected using alligator clips.  I won't make a final determination as to whether I will keep them in the B1 or put them in the Pass balanced preamp that I am building (Bride of Son of Zen) until I have about 50 hours on them.  The ESA's have a more focused sound.  The caps are paired with Mundorf M-Caps, 1uF 630v.

Chiswocka

Amazing thread, anyone try Audyn True Copper bypassed with V-cap TFTF for tube preamp use?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
After trying a bunch of caps over the years, I've settled on the Jupiter Paper/Wax/Copper Foil caps as my default choice.  Expensive, but they are the best IME.  Might as well just stick with the best whenever possible. 

MothAudio

Jupiter Paper/Wax/Copper Foil caps [2] delivered tomorrow, replacing Exotica TFT caps in my Moth Audio s45.

mikeeastman

+1 on Jupiter Paper/Wax/Copper Foil caps.

MarkR7

+2 on the Jupiter Copper Foil Caps.... I put them in my Dodd preamp, and more recently into my Decware CSP2+ preamp.  They are simply fantastic at letting all the music through, while having the speed and soundstage to make them addictive!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
+ wherever we are for Jupiter copper caps!  :thumb:

MothAudio

Jupiter Paper/Wax/Copper Foil caps [2] delivered tomorrow, replacing Exotica TFT caps in my Moth Audio s45.

After only 5 hrs they already beat the Teflon caps. 

gagamut

Hi everyone,

i am a newbie,i have question,if i can find a exactly same value capacitor to instead the old one,what can i do.
and my capacitor is 4.7uf 250V,so can i use 5uf 310V?and sound will bad or...............?thanks

Regards
Sam

andyr

Hi everyone,

i am a newbie,i have question,if i can find a exactly same value capacitor to instead the old one,what can i do.
and my capacitor is 4.7uf 250V,so can i use 5uf 310V?and sound will bad or...............?thanks

Regards
Sam

4.7 is actually a standard cap value ... so you should be able to find one.  Alternatively, as the caps you are looking at are probably +/- 5% in value ... if you can find a low-value "5uF" ... it will be almost 4.7uF.

The higher voltage rating is fine.

Andy

gagamut

4.7 is actually a standard cap value ... so you should be able to find one.  Alternatively, as the caps you are looking at are probably +/- 5% in value ... if you can find a low-value "5uF" ... it will be almost 4.7uF.

The higher voltage rating is fine.

Andy

thanks for reply.

one more question,Capacitor need match??

andyr

thanks for reply.

one more question,Capacitor need match??

Not sure what you mean?  But, yes, the same cap should ideally be used in the L & R channel.

Andy

MothAudio

I'm guessing I have around 200 hours on the Jupiter Paper/Wax/Copper Foil caps. Have we reached a point of stabilization or is it still ongoing? Things were settling in very well then I made a system change where I added a IEC/NEMA power cord adapter to my power line conditioner and swapped out the stock Shunyata cord for a BMI pc. With these three system changes the vocals gained a spitty quality and the bass became less prominent.

I'm certain the 1st is due to the new adapter but unsure if the bass was affected as well or is this consistent with where I'm @ in the burn in process of the caps. 

earwig

Its got me wondering about pulling out the Clarity Cap px5u2j250 (5uf?)bypassed by an black coloured"AC" brand , 440 v .5mf(probably low cost china caps) and an AC 3.5uf for the tweeter.As Im just about  to put in two brand new hi-vi research d6.8s I got from Solen into my 12 year old now mothballed Totem Forests I noticed the crossover has these caps just bolted into it with steels screws on plastic terminals. It really looks like it would be a cinch to bolt in some er lets say Clarity MRs capacitors like in the more higher end "Signature" Improved version of the Totem Forests are now using .Looking at this I see you like that pricey beeswax copper foil paper Jupiter the most. Im presuming its the "copper" ,thats the secret to its sound quality Im guessing. I hope you have tried listening to other copper foil ones about of interest like the Audio Note copper polypropylenes from Parts Connextion at half the cost. Ever heard those? Im starting to get really tempted . Whadda you say?

Johnny2Bad

The only issue I have with xx / wax caps is the environmental one; I hesitate to use them when heat, such as in some power amplifier or vacuum tube situations, or very low temperatures (eg car audio in the Northern Hemisphere) could be an issue. When that is not a problem, have at 'er.

earwig

The only issue I have with xx / wax caps is the environmental one; I hesitate to use them when heat, such as in some power amplifier or vacuum tube situations, or very low temperatures (eg car audio in the Northern Hemisphere) could be an issue. When that is not a problem, have at 'er.
[Yes that's why I thought to check out polyfilm copper ones to compare against the wax n paper copper versions but I think it might be ok in a home speaker crossover ,I hope.quote]

Jon L

The very original Jupiter caps were only rated to 110 F (43 C or so), but they were aware of the heat issue and improved the materials/construction so that the Jupiter copper caps are rated to 176 F (80 C).  I haven't experienced any type heat-related failures in any of the tubed gear I've put the current Jupiter caps in.