New Digital mod work begins tomorrow!!!

modwright

New Digital mod work begins tomorrow!!!
« on: 23 Sep 2016, 12:02 am »
I am getting a new product in tomorrow that will be the new mod candidate.

CD/SACD, digital in AND out, allow for operation as player AND DAC, including Hi-Rez, DSD1 and DSD2!

More threads below.

The fun begins tomorrow!!!
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2018, 05:08 pm by modwright »

SoCalWJS

Re: New Digital mod work begins tomorrow!!!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2016, 12:23 am »
The new 4K Oppo?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup

audio.bill

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2016, 01:37 am »
See more on this in the following thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145646

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2016, 03:35 pm »
No, I am told that the new 4K Oppo will not be available until Q1, 2017.

Information first leaked about this unit in Dec. of 2015, pending release in early 2016.  Many hoped to see it at CES 2016.
I then heard that it would be available by summer.
I then heard that it would be available in the fall.

Now I am told it will be available in early 2017.

I expect that Oppo wants to be sure that they have the 4K video worked OUT!  I don't blame them.

This project that I am working on is a dedicated audio player, no video, that offers the same flexibility of the Oppo (Player, Transport, DAC capability).

It is actually a bit cheaper than the Oppo and is well reviewed and rated.

I like to have more than one option for our customers and this looks to be  a great product!

Thanks,

Dan Wright

Ric Schultz

« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2016, 09:08 pm »
The first 4K Oppo will be a 103 based unit as you can see from the pics.  $500? and probably no good DACs or power supplies.  The one equivalent to the 105 won't be available till even later 2017.

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2016, 05:39 pm »
Yes, that is my understanding also.

Dan

smargo

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2016, 05:28 pm »
I am getting a new product in tomorrow that will be the new mod candidate.

CD/SACD, digital in AND out, allow for operation as player AND DAC, including Hi-Rez, DSD1 and DSD2!

More threads below.

The fun begins tomorrow!!!

so ill bite - what is the mod and unit?

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2016, 05:47 pm »
I am looking at the service manual of the Marantz SA8005 right now as I listen to it break in.

Dan

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2016, 07:50 pm »
Looking over the service manual, what I see that is IMPRESSIVE, is VERY good isolation between all USB/Digital input and output processing and the audio circuitry.  Every single clock, data and signal path is 'decoupled' to isolate from noise.

Power supplies are well engineered and stock analog stage is all discrete.

I am looking at the following:

1) How and where to improve upon the existing supplies.
2) Investigate the benefit of master clock upgrade.
3) Look at improving power quality to DAC and digital circuits, possibly with addition of dedicated additional regulation.
4) Options for improvements to the analog stage, ranging from improvement to outright replacement via our own discrete SS circuit or tube circuitry.

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2016, 02:32 am »
No DVD-A or Bluray Audio, unfortunately

modwright

« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2016, 03:49 pm »
That is true, this is an audio only player.  Blu-Ray and DVD-A typically involve video.

I wanted to offer a player for those who want a dedicated audio only player without video.

Dan

bummrush

« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2016, 04:12 pm »
Very nice

rbbert

« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2016, 04:29 pm »
That is true, this is an audio only player.  Blu-Ray and DVD-A typically involve video.

I wanted to offer a player for those who want a dedicated audio only player without video.

Dan
But they certainly don't have to; there are Bluray Audio (only) discs (I have several) and most DVD-A's have only incidental, still video content.  PSAudio's new audio-only transport recognizes this, as does MSB's Universal Transport (which has been around for awhile); both play audio from all available disc sources.  Not criticizing, just pointing out that if it is possible to modify a universal disc player rather than just SACD/CD, there would likely be a bigger market.  I'm pretty sure Marantz has at least one universal player, not sure what it costs.  I think Yamaha and Pioneer also make universal players.

modwright

« Reply #14 on: 29 Sep 2016, 04:48 pm »
Good point and understood.  The Oppo has always been my go-to for Universal Player. However, it is also a video player.

We used to modify the Sony XA-5400ES - still do in fact, but it is out of production.  It is a FANTASTIC audio only player, is CD/SACD only and has no digital input.  It is the fact that the Marantz offers dig. in/out (including DSD via USB) and is a great disc player is why I chose it.

I believe that Marantz makes a better player than Yamaha or Pioneer. Aside from Sony and Oppo, Marantz is one of the few that I would invest my time in.

Dan

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2016, 08:41 pm »
Very excellent choice! Will this be obtainable in silver in the US? I sure hope so......

modwright

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2016, 08:46 pm »
That I am not sure about.

I am listening to a very well recorded CD right now in stock form after about a week of burn in and I have to say, it is a GREAT player!

Dan

SoCalWJS

« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep 2016, 10:03 pm »
That I am not sure about.

I am listening to a very well recorded CD right now in stock form after about a week of burn in and I have to say, it is a GREAT player!

Dan
I hope this isn't stirring the pot too much....

What would you say the comparison is between the 2 out-of-box? (Marantz vs Oppo 105) - which one do you prefer?

Do you think there will be a "real" difference between the Marantz and the Oppo after your Mods?

I still hope to someday replace my Oppo 95 and had always planned on the ModWright 105D with all the bells and whistles, but when I heard about the 4K Oppo rumors, I started wondering. I will keep my eye on this. I currently have been spinning most of my Redbook on my old Sony S7700. Easier to listen to (fatigue) than the Oppo on many discs for some reason.

modwright

« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2016, 10:26 pm »
To be honest, I do not have a stock Oppo 105 on hand right now to compare.  I do believe however, that based on the sophistication of the Marantz design, having reviewed the schematics and listened, that the Marantz is DESIGNED for music!

I am going to wire in a tube mod stage next into the Marantz and give my impressions.  I am planning on a different direction for the tube circuit in this player.  As always, looking to ever improve on what we have done to date.  I am SO impressed with the circuit in our SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition preamp ($2900), that it may be very close to that!

Thanks,

Dan

SoCalWJS

« Reply #19 on: 30 Sep 2016, 04:06 am »
To be honest, I do not have a stock Oppo 105 on hand right now to compare.  I do believe however, that based on the sophistication of the Marantz design, having reviewed the schematics and listened, that the Marantz is DESIGNED for music!

I am going to wire in a tube mod stage next into the Marantz and give my impressions.  I am planning on a different direction for the tube circuit in this player.  As always, looking to ever improve on what we have done to date.  I am SO impressed with the circuit in our SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition preamp ($2900), that it may be very close to that!

Thanks,

Dan
Thanks Dan. Like I said, I'll keep an eye on this.

Some day.......