OPPO 103 Mod-Mania!

wushuliu

OPPO 103 Mod-Mania!
« on: 26 Sep 2016, 11:19 pm »
Been an interesting couple of months. My audio upgrade/diy pathway took a crazy turn when I learned you can stream audio through Oppo players via ethernet. I figured it would be a perfect transport to my Soekris DAC. And I would get the best BD/DVD/Streaming player around because I'm a cinephile more than an audiophile at heart. Even better I found a great thread at diyaudio where folks discuss modding Oppo players. One member in particular, Coris, has designed his own linear power supply and clock up grades. I know there are other folks doing this but his handiwork is really impressive, including massive caps in values I didn't even know could fit on a board:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/222596-oppos-bdp105-discussions-upgrading-mods-166.html

With this baby installed noise floor lowered and coax playback became more fleshed out and natural. Btw, the power supply noise was tested down to 2uV (plenty of measurements over at the diyaudio thread), which is pretty damn impressive. I can't overstate the build quality.

Coris has a sweet-looking lithium batteryclock upgrade, but I've got to save for that one. So I figured what the hell, I've got some decent TPS7A4700 4.17uV ultralow noise regulator 3.3v power supplies, why not get some inexpensive Fox Xpresso and Crystek clocks from Mouser and do some diy. The result is pretty sloppy. I had to pull out the audio board which I wasn't using anyway.

but WOW to replacing the clocks:

The result? is AWESOME. The video quality is so good that I thought I screwed up. Increased noise and grain with Blu Ray and very obvious compression to Netflix streaming. To the point where I started googling because I noticed the HDMI output to my projector did not look the same as the output to my PC monitor. Turns out HDMI 1 output uses the Marvell processor but the HDMI 2 is 'direct' with very little processing. The new clocks increased resolution so well that the HDMI 1 became overkill. I switched my projector to HDMI 1 and the image was more accurate. On top of that the black levels through my BenQ W1070 are...pretty frickin' black. Projector reviews say the W1070 compromises black level, well maybe these reviewers need to start using modded players because what I'm seeing now via the Oppo is very, very impressive. Colors have greater depth and gradients, richer and more natural. Image quality is more akin to actual film projection. Downside is you will see 'flaws' based on the source material, film grain, noise, and compression will become more obvious.

As for music, the coax output now sounds incredible. Truly reminds me of vinyl playback in certain respects. 'Liquid', 'Sweet', 'musical', 'PRAT'. Probably some other buzzwords. Sounds nothing like it did before. Playback now sounds more like a TDA NOS DAC, which makes me wonder since my Soekris is R2R if maybe the coax is just bringing the best out of my dac? I don't know. All I know is this is by far the most engaging my system has sounded in a long time. It is really amazing how something like upgrading clocks can take everything up several notches. And I'm using cheap ones. Why can't Oppo just use them as stock? Even if it means paying $50 more, it would still be a steal!

So that's the scoop. If you have an oppo, get those clocks upgraded!

JohnR

Re: OPPO 103 Mod-Mania!
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2016, 09:34 am »
Cool. The little boards with the heatsinks in your photo are the clocks?

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2016, 12:03 pm »
Cool. The little boards with the heatsinks in your photo are the clocks?

Hi john, those are the 3.3v power supplies. The wires lead out to the clocks on the mainboard but they are so small and one is hidden it would hard to get a good photo.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2016, 03:04 pm »
That thread is approaching 2000 posts long! (I only read a few)
Seems like a solution in search of a problem.
Did anyone do any real tests?

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2016, 04:04 pm »
That thread is approaching 2000 posts long! (I only read a few)
Seems like a solution in search of a problem.
Did anyone do any real tests?

Define 'real tests'. I'm not going to litigate by proxy. Plenty of info in that thread, complete with requisite doubters literally saying the same thing. I know Coris provided power supply noise measurements of stock vs. the first iteration of his own vs. the newest. Very informative if long thread going on four years old.

Skepticism is always good, but there is no way you could compare a modded vs. unmodded Oppo as I've described above and not tell them apart. No way. You may for whatever reason say oh you *prefer* the stock (you'd be nuts of course), but not 'tell the difference'? Not a chance.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2016, 04:51 pm »
Noise measurements (and distortion) at the audio output would be a good start.

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2016, 04:58 pm »

I'm not using audio output, so can't help you there. Sounds like you don't consider the measurements that *were* provided related to the power supply be of little value.

This is academic in any case, because as I said the improvement in both audio and image quality - especially as I have one clock now powered by a lifepo battery - isn't debatable.

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2016, 05:10 pm »

Also Coris is very responsive, so he would probably provide them if you asked. Since it seems you haven't actually read the thread it should be noted that he started out as a skeptic regarding the power supply; it was a good while before he actually tried it out himself and changed his mind.

undertow

« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2016, 06:06 pm »
I guess I will throw down my Oppo mod experience.

Truth is I have owned just about every Oppo machine worth owning since nearly 2005 I believe. About 5 or 6 in between.

Obviously back then the big thing was Oppo's video performance and price more than anything else as they did truly out perform anything on the big screen from Sony to Pioneer elite, or even ridiculous 12,000 dollar players by the niche' guys like KRELL.

However, of course then Oppo realized near perfect video over the years brought in fans from Audio as well.

All their machines simply sound "Ok".

But now with the Universal capabilities on the BDP 105 [I owned], and the BDP 103D [I also own now] we found just about an all in one box that can perform just about everything needed, but not quite up to the "High end" audio standards you get from the best sounding digital.

I finally decided that honestly for me the 103D actually sounded as good for the most part of the 105 with what I was using. I had a fully balanced system at the time using the 105 and of course everything ran XLR. But later with a preamp change found the 103d to actually perform just as solid overall via RCA with a little "Tube Magic" inserted into the system.

Long story short I did upgrade the BDP 103D to a full linear power supply, using :

Nichicon ESR Capacitors
    Schottkey Barrier Diodes
    Wima & Tantalum Capacitors

And I added an entirely dedicated 2 channel DAC basically copying the Architecture of the now famed "Gustard X20" DAC using the 8 parallel ESS chips etc... same used in the Bdp 105 as well.

DAC 100 MHz TCXO Upgrade
    8 Schottky Barrier Diodes
    Direct Coupled Stereo Outputs
    Burr Brown 627 opamps

2.5 ppm Crystal Oscillator
    Improves Audio & Video
    Draws Power From LPM Module

Side notes - Power supply definitely added something interesting to the mix as with this new Linear power supply I no longer get hangups on shutdown of the machine as I use to. Might be due to having all circuits dedicated to their own power regulation vs. sharing it. Not sure.

- DAC is closer sounding to the BDP 105, and actually cutting out all those extra un-used multichannel chips seems to have give the DAC much better sense of "Ease" very analog sounding, but also as a warning it cut the BDP 103's overall output down about -3 db...Which in my case was perfect because the 103 always ran a little hot with overblown digital recordings whether from the transport, or high Res files direct.

It gave much better volume control as well with far smaller increments to allow better adjustment. Generally I like to run it in "Fixed" anyway and now since its not so forward with the digital character from the original DAC the 3 db cut works great on any standard system. Seems to eliminate a lot of noise etc...

The BASS... The 103 definitely had a "One tone" bass, and it was very HEAVY in general, the new 2 - channel DAC gives quite a bit more finess for sure across the spectrum, with very good detail, never calling attention to any frequency band... A lot like my excellent turntable and cartridge combo.

So in the end Modded machines simply lose value, and or don't appeal, but in this case it worked out very well. As for Outboard DACS I did try a couple within reason that cost up to 1000.00 new, and used on the market... Honestly they all failed to impress doing A-B tests with the 103 which I would hook up to one input on the stereo pre direct being able to A-B on the fly and you could hear the difference immediately. So with most outboard USB dacs, it was best to just leave the 103 alone because the money is better spent else where.

Final Note- in the end this setup definitely outperforms any thing close to the BDP 105, or 103. In fact for some strange reason after getting Oppos latest firmware, and having this installed the machine runs smooth, and better across apps as well, which this machine was always a little quirky.

Also, this is the first time I have used Pure SILVER shielded interconnects to full success as with any digital in the past I have found them to more or less highlight too much, making the sound either very etched, or very dry. Not now, its got perfect tonal balance. Oh and with the custom power board you can easily experiment with all the exotic "Super" fuses now. I happen to have a couple of the 80 to 100 dollar 2 amp varieties on hand that go in this power supply, there are subtle changes, but then again I never found fuses to have a large effect on front end gear anyway, mostly just large power amps and the occasional enhancement in a preamp.

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2016, 06:13 pm »
How much did the parts for the mod cost you ?

undertow

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2016, 06:19 pm »
maplegrovemusic,

Here you go, but unfortunately I think once shipping the two completed boards it will run you around 800.. Nearly doubling the cost of the machine. But truth is I found all people spending 1500 on Oppo mods a bit crazy to do so.

ONLY good thing about this mod vs. others I see on here and various DIY forums is it does pay off in performance, AND 100% reversible just plug the old boards back in to 100% original! No soldering to any of the oppo circuits, or wire harnesses required, but retaining all the benefits of full blown, DAC, clock, opamp, and power supply mods.

http://www.oppomod.com/

wushuliu

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2016, 07:02 pm »
How much did the parts for the mod cost you ?

Oppomod is one option but I believe Coris' mods are superior for roughly the same cost. Downside is you have to contact him on forums and pay by bank transfer, there's no website. Upside is his Linear Power Supply is a beast as I've mentioned using a massive bank of supercapacitors and noise measured into single microvolts. His clock upgrade incorporates a battery not just linear regulators like the oppomod. In fact I believe the Oppomod designer Lee Jaehong hung out on that same diyaudio thread for advice.

Here is Coris' clock mod for 105:

undertow

« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2016, 07:10 pm »
Oppomod is one option but I believe Coris' mods are superior for roughly the same cost. Downside is you have to contact him on forums and pay by bank transfer, there's no website. Upside is his Linear Power Supply is a beast as I've mentioned using a massive bank of supercapacitors and noise measured into single microvolts. His clock upgrade incorporates a battery not just linear regulators like the oppomod. In fact I believe the Oppomod designer Lee Jaehong hung out on that same diyaudio thread for advice.

Here is Coris' clock mod for 105:

Not that I would argue with your assumption, however are you talking about your photo above with the R Core Transformer? Honestly from these 2 LPM's alone I would take the one with the toroid, and direct replacement harnesses.

By the way that toroid board has over 80,000 uF just in Nichicon gold audio caps. But I have been up and down the roads with both types of supplies, and honestly on a listening basis I can probably say with experience there will be no night and day huge "Ear measurable" difference between either in this case. Both are good supplies I am sure. But based on cost, and ergonomics it seems the oppomod one is the easier choice all around. And believe me it is WAY overbuilt for this application as it uses up to a 4 amp fuse, and adds about 6 lbs to the weight of the 103  :thumb:

By the way these direct mods I posted are 103 capable only for the most part, looks like oppo mods does do some 105 work, but nothing as extensive so we are kinda comparing apples and oranges, as you started this thread about 103 mods, not 105 clock modules.

wushuliu

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2016, 07:21 pm »
IIRC correctly measurements were done comparing the Oppomod and Coris' LPM and the Oppomod just wasn't as good (although speedskater may think I am averse to measurements I do my best to seek them out when possible). Everyone has a different take on this stuff as well as different needs so I am not trying to seem pushy. And I consider the clock/battery upgrade to be the most critical aspect of the oppo.

EDIT: I forgot there's also Tweak Audio for mods as well. So some good options out there.

undertow

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2016, 07:25 pm »
Again not disagreeing, but also with digital today there is good, and okay, and bad... I believe either way on this level you will end up with about as "Good" as it gets. But depends on the shortcuts you want to take in order to get there. Key point I did say really the "Only advantage" to the Oppomod version is 100% "Modification" free. Which is nice, due to the value, and overall problems selling any modified gear especially things like the Oppos people put 2000 into, and end up with 600 bucks back in the end.

Not a huge concern, but plug and play is a smarter play on this machine, and benefits should be within 2 to 3% in actual in use performance I can almost guarantee it  :D

wushuliu

« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2016, 07:32 pm »
Again not disagreeing, but also with digital today there is good, and okay, and bad... I believe either way on this level you will end up with about as "Good" as it gets. But depends on the shortcuts you want to take in order to get there. Key point I did say really the "Only advantage" to the Oppomod version is 100% "Modification" free. Which is nice, due to the value, and overall problems selling any modified gear especially things like the Oppos people put 2000 into, and end up with 600 bucks back in the end.

Not a huge concern, but plug and play is a smarter play on this machine, and benefits should be within 2 to 3% in actual in use performance I can almost guarantee it  :D

Very true. Certainly no returning to stock with my hack job on the clocks. Yikes!