How to select the best Loudspeaker

Sgoldfin

Re: How to select the best Loudspeaker
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2013, 05:37 am »
These posts are very informative. Thanks.

Audioexcels

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2014, 09:19 am »
I select Tad CR-1 Or R-1, but I am not rich yet;)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2014, 10:49 am »
Floyd E. Toole's "Sound Reproduction" is a wonderful primer for understanding how speakers and rooms behave that I'm glad to finally own.  Toole worked for the Canadian National Research Center (NRC) for years then moved to Harmon International (owns JBL, TAD, etc.).  The NRC has done more research in recent decades than any other lab in the world.

If you take in the entire book, you'd: 1.) start with a well shaped room without the need for lots of treatments; 2.) use typically placed small speakers with limited bass (F3 around 140 Hz for most rooms); 3.) add a "swarm" (search AC) of 3 or 4 dispersed subwoofers.  The phenomenon relates to how sound at certain frequencies (depending on room size) travels in waves (not rays) and the waves add/subtract as they slosh back and forth in a room (like water in a shallow tub).  The only solution is distributed bass sources (not speaker design or EQ).

Look for Duke LeJeune in the Designer Corner child boards who understands these underlaying concepts and offers various solutions. 
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2014, 10:15 am by JLM »