Pro amp?

mcgsxr

Re: Pro amp?
« Reply #20 on: 4 Dec 2013, 01:49 pm »
Heading down another path, working to see if a shipping deal can be worked out for that B&K ST 202 Amp.

There is a service called US Address in Niagara Falls, about 45 minutes from my house, so hopefully I can try that one next.

Those Class D amps interest me, and I had great experimentation with a ton of digital amps over the years, but the budget is fixed, and none of those fit (other than DIY which at this time I am not looking for).

Thanks for the help boys!

pokerplayncowboy

« Reply #21 on: 7 Dec 2013, 12:51 am »
For US shipping for Canadians try Kinek. I'm at the east end of the lake and use it regularly. My pickup point is only 5 mins across the border.

mcgsxr

« Reply #22 on: 12 Dec 2013, 11:24 pm »
I made the 110 mile round trip today to pick up the amp.  The US Address place is literally 5 minutes over the border, but it takes me about 45 minutes to get TO the border.  With the 40 minute lineup on the CDN side, it took a while to get there.  Getting back over the border was simple.

Since it was in the trunk of my car for an hour at about 10F, I let the B&K warm up not plugged in until 3pm.  I then plugged it in and got it running background music till 6pm to let it warm up.  I just played Jack Johnson "F Stop Blues".  I will give it a good 3 hour run tonight after the family heads to bed (it is good to have an isolated music room in the basement!) before I offer up a full review, but initial impressions are much much better than the old Yamaha (which I still have).

Thanks again Maxcast for the push to chase Letitroll98 for this piece, it is driving my Paradigm Reference 20's really well for me.

The pro amp was a fun exercise, but I'd say in this case,  the pro amp was not the solution.

raysracing

« Reply #23 on: 12 Dec 2013, 11:27 pm »
This kills me to read this because I wanted that amp, but I didn't have the $$ to buy it from him.  Maybe I ought to just not see how much you love it later...ho hum. But I will in case another comes up when I do have some spare cash.

mcgsxr

« Reply #24 on: 13 Dec 2013, 12:57 pm »
Ray, I feel for you brother, there is often a piece just out of range that tempts us!

After pulling the trigger on this amp, locally an amp I have wanted since 1995 came up but was 50% more than I wanted to spend.  I owned the baby brother of that Sugden years ago so I know how it sounds...

This B&K would be worth chasing if you have a need for what a good SS amp can do.  It has nice tone, and is even throughout the spectrum.  The bass is nice and tight with the Paradigms, and the music is very free of the speakers.  It is not perfect, I know what the Mosfet mist is, and some sibilance is accentuated vs tube amps I have owned in the past, but for 140wpc at the price, it does a lot right.

Happy hunting!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #25 on: 14 Dec 2013, 03:00 am »
I think you describe the amp perfectly.  Very musical, beefy American iron sound, weighty on the bottom, tighter than the ST 140 by miles, even tone across the board, the MOSFET mist is there, yet you tend to ignore it when listening to music instead of the system (and then I added the Maggie mist to it).  The sibilance is preamp specific.  With a very clean pre or a passive unit it goes away (perhaps a bit of tone control there), but was accentuated when I ran a DAC straight into it.  A bolder, brighter, more detailed improvement to the American classic ST 140 that Sam Telig waxed over back in the 90's.  I'm glad it got passed on to a person who understands her.

A couple of asides.  B&K was a small operation that made running changes in product without documentation, at least public documentation.  As far as I could find out, they changed the output transistors and maybe a few other parts as the model years went by.  Supposedly this was on or about when they dumped the rack handles and changed the graphics.  Thus proponents that say always buy the model with the handles.  I haven't a clue as to the veracity of any of that, but followed the advice.  Secondly they made a short lived ST202+ that increased the bias to make the amp run around 200 watts into 8 ohms, which ruined the sound and made the amp very unreliable, witnessed that it's nearly impossible to find that model yet regular 202's are often seen on eBay or A-gon.