THREE updates

audiorook72

• Virtue Amp-ed and loving it....
THREE updates
« on: 6 Sep 2011, 05:48 pm »
Thanks everyone for covering for me while I was away.  Yes, it's an exoskeleton design.  The THREE has some fins which spoil the lines a bit but get rid of the heat.  I'm working on something to cover the mounting holes if you want to leave off the heatsink.

Thanks.  Any more hints about the THREE?

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
THREE updates
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2011, 11:26 am »
The last prototype is being assembled in Taiwan right now.  Aaron is working overtime with them to work out the kinks.  I need to know more about the issues to determine whether another prototype is necessary.  So far it's just pad sizing, etc., nothing major or sonically material, but we'll see. 

The THREE has been in the making for more than three years and nobody wants it here faster than me.  But the only thing worse than a late amp are problems... so in Aaron do I trust.

BTW, I just put Sensation on perma-sale @ 20% off (use SENSATION20) at checkout.   There will be no end-of-year blow-out and as a proud Sensation owner I strongly believe in the product.  We seem to be out black buttons but otherwise there's quite a bit of stock left (around 50 units) and tube buffers ready for customers (thanks Gary!).

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
Re: THREE updates
« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2011, 09:56 pm »
Aaron has 3 of the THREEs in his possession and he's sending me 2 of them.  They still need some IC coding before final testing can be complete.  On this basis and the fact that Aaron has not been able to focus on the DAC (I'm hiring another engineer to help), we're planning on missing RMAF.  This is a huge bummer.  I will probably come personally... we'll see how the day-job works out and whose room I choose to adopt so y'all can find me.

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2011, 02:59 am »
That is a bummer Seth. I still hope to see you somewhere at the show.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2011, 07:58 am »
I am feeling good about the THREE just not confident about timing for RMAF.  The last couple years were a bonanza for Fedex during show week -- not going to do that again.  However, xmas with Virtue should be a happy time. 

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2011, 03:32 pm »
Friends,

The programmer finally received the latest prototype and there remain outstanding issues. 

For the 4th time in 4 years I am throwing out the schedule and going dark again on this most anticipated product.  I cannot project the manufacture date as of today.  One customer has an exchange credit with me but otherwise I've not collected money from anyone.  We have learned and grown from this experience and although the THREE is not yet ready, the design improved considerably under his leadership since February of 2010.

Jason has had a death in the family and will not be attending RMAF.  Since I've got nothing but shame to present and am no good at hiding my disappointment, I will not be attending either.   Hopefully we will have something very special for LSAF or earlier and will see y'all at RMAF next year. 

We have concluded our relationship with the engineer and wish him great success on his new mobile audio venture.

Seth
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2012, 04:08 pm by virtue »

turboboy

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2011, 01:57 am »
seth-
there is a very good reason why virtue has a devoted following: you have the virtue of being a truth teller.  no doubt, your followers stand behind you and your decision making. the three will come to fruition, only if it maintains your high standards. virtue's reputation remains intact......just as it should.

props to the virtue team.

best,
john from boston

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2011, 04:47 am »
John,
Thank you, I sincerely appreciate the kind thoughts.
When you go through a traumatic experience, it takes time to heal.  That's where I'm at right now.  This sucks.  Sucks for all of us.  Sucks.
When we come back... we'll be back.
Seth

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2011, 10:06 am »
When its ready, its ready, it totally OK. Most of us have no idea what it takes to design and put a product into production from scratch and I think we are all just thankful somebody takes the time and does it. I'm sure the monetary compensation, whatever it is, is not enough for the actual total time in on your part and others so relax, chill, take some time off....
 Please give Jason my best Seth- our thoughts and prayers go out to he and his family.

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2011, 10:19 am »
I don't think anyone is going to lose excitement for the new amp and dac, I know for me, personally, after hearing about the some of the proposed specs for the dac, I can't think of any piece of hardware I'm more excited to see.

And if my now modded, battery powered Two.2 is any indication of your next level of amp, then I think everyone's in for a real treat when it also arrives.  :thumb:

And all positive thoughts and prayers for Jason and his family.

xsb7244

« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2011, 09:40 pm »
It looks like the amp is off the track.  If you want it good or in this case very good you have to wait.  May I say
patience is a virtue.  By the way, is the DAC on track?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2011, 10:02 pm »
A certain engineer begged off the DAC at an inopportune time around 6 weeks ago.  We've yet to restart the project properly.

For anyone shopping for a DAC, there are so many very good, low-cost options, I would urge you to consider, from V-DAC to Musland, etc.

I'm now thrice bitten and very shy.  We'll get it done -- one day.

xsb7244

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2011, 10:30 pm »
Nobody ever said it would be easy.  Good things come to he who waits. Like marriage you gotta wait for the
right guy or gal.  Tomorrow will be a better and brighter day.  out of the ashes of despair you will rise again.
There will be a Three and there will be a DAC.  Too many people want it.  They believe in you, believe in Virtue.
Big bang for the buck?  You betcha.  We will be waiting!                                     

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2011, 03:00 pm »
I received an email this morning from a potential ONE/TWO customer who was lined up to buy a THREE.  I'm sure that many of you are out there.  He asked me why I did not make more TWO.2s and said that he now had to move on and will be buying elsewhere.

I do not begrudge him or you, if you choose to buy from somewhere else now because Sensation is out of your price range. 

After selling out, I made the wrong decision to not produce more ONE/TWO amps while the THREE was under development.  The logic behind not making them any more was that the THREE was just about "ready" -- finally.  Was it prudent to fill up the shelves with a model that was about to be replaced?  Was that fair to customers?   Would I need to sell below cost to get rid of them?  I made the opposite decision in 2010 (we were in a similar situation) and it was the right one.  Right produce.  Wrong, not produce.

What we are doing is hard but not rocket science and I could not have in my wildest dreams imagined that between June and October (5 months, 1 month of production time for a prototype), the final prototype would not have even found its way to the programmer.  Was it to much to ask? 

Apparently.  I put all my eggs in one basket and that basket could not hold them. 

My deepest apologies go out to you who have waited patiently.  The buck stops with me and I'm sorry.

There's nothing glorious about failure.  There's no upside to not getting products to market.  All I can say is that we're not finished and not quitting. 

Hope you're enjoying the fruits of our prior labor!

rockdrummer

« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2011, 04:06 pm »
I am relatively new to AC.  I love it here, and seem to have found a perfect place to spend countless hours.  I would consider myself a one/two customer and am a few months away from a purchase.  Once I upgrade my speakers and receiver, I will be a Virtue Audio customer.  I'm sure of that.  So even though I'm waiting, I'm not ready to buy yet anyway. 

IMO, I think you made the right decision.  Unfortunately, your development process has taken longer than expected. 

I'm excited to be a future Virtue customer.  I think it's honest and unnecessary for you to apologize but that shows how much you care about your customers.  Even your FUTURE customers, so thanks.

Ben

brother love

« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2011, 04:08 pm »
Man, it looks like a series of unfortunate events ...  We feel your pain Seth.

As an owner of a Virtue Audio One.2 AND a Sensation M-451 w/ Dodd tube buffer AND a Piano M1 CD player, I can say that your products are second to none, a great value & serious eye candy.  You have brought many of us great pleasure every time we fire up our Virtue Audio equipment & get caught up in the music.

You have every right to be disappointed & hindsight is always 20/20, but keep fighting the good fight.  I have no doubt that when the Three is released, it will be well worth the wait.

Mama Virtue

« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2011, 04:20 pm »
If it makes anyone feel better I still have 2 Pianos waiting for adoption!

Xcalibur

« Reply #17 on: 16 Oct 2011, 03:27 am »
Hang in there Seth, everything will come together in its own time.  When it does it will have been worth the wait for any and all who partake.  What matters is not letting the frustration sap away your love for what you are doing here.

Take care.

ltr317

« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2011, 06:26 am »
Seth,

Bro, you better get your butt to next year's RMAF.   :lol:

Paul "the enforcer" Mah

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio