Bluetooth Streamers/Dac Suggestions

apstoltz

Bluetooth Streamers/Dac Suggestions
« on: 19 Feb 2018, 12:44 am »
Hi guys I am looking at the Audioengine b1 Bluetooth receiver as many reviews sate that it sounds decent for streaming. I was also considering Google Chromecast but I need RCA outs. What are some options with decent audio quality.

Doublej

Re: Bluetooth Streamers/Dac Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2018, 01:10 am »
I think there are a couple of threads on AC on this topic. What are you going to be streaming from?

If you buy a 3.5mm stereo to RCA plug adapter you'll have a lot more choices including using a Chromecast. I don't think Chromecast supports Bluetooth nor does it support streaming all audio from a device such as a laptop.

This is the adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-3-5mm-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B0002KR5Q0

I would have suggested Outlaw's but it's not RCA based: https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/btr100.html

Check out Crutchfield for a few more ideas: The Focal unit looks interesting as it supports AptX.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_15260/Wireless-Adapters.html?tp=2051

You can also use an Airport Express but then (I think) you will need to use Airplay.

Audioquest make a bluetooth DAC: http://www.audioquest.com/beetle/

bluemeanies

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2018, 04:32 am »
I have a Chordette Gem Bluetooth decoder/dac in excellant to mint condition that I am selling.
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/first-look-chordette-gem-wireless-bluetooth-dockusb-dac/
Originally $799.00
Sale Price $350.00

lacro

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2018, 01:32 pm »
Chromecast Audio is really a pretty good devise especially for the price. It's wifi, not Bluetooth, so no pairing, and the range is very good. It has a combination 1/8 and optical jack. I use the optical to a Dac, then to my amp for great sound quality. If you mostly listen to streaming services such as Pandora, Spotify it is a great choice.
 I have a Pandora One account which gives me a better sound quality than the free account, and I can have 100 stations. I just set Pandora to cast from my phone, and set it to a random mix, and I can then shut the phone off and the stream stays connected over wifi with no battery draw on the phone. If I want to listen to a specific artist or make other changes, the phone has to be on to make changes, but I mostly leave the phone off for all day background listening while I work in my basement shop, it's a great devise.

apstoltz

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2018, 02:10 pm »
I will be mostly streaming from phone/tablet via Pandora/Spotify/Tidal etc..... I have read many good things about the Chromecast unit.

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2018, 02:40 pm »
Chromecast works great for the apps that support it but for example only a paid Spotify account will work with it. So do your homework first.

otto802

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2018, 03:51 pm »
I'm using one of these guys for my bluetooth streaming. Nice metal case, lots of output options, and sounds as good as I expect it to. Stays connected well, no complaints and the price is nice!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9EYXKP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

apstoltz

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2018, 04:09 pm »
I'm using one of these guys for my bluetooth streaming. Nice metal case, lots of output options, and sounds as good as I expect it to. Stays connected well, no complaints and the price is nice!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9EYXKP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This looks nice and I like the different options to connect. Surprised to see that there are no reviews on Amazon....it must be pretty new?

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2018, 05:01 pm »
This looks nice and I like the different options to connect. Surprised to see that there are no reviews on Amazon....it must be pretty new?

Bluetooth 3 is very long in the tooth now so while the unit may be new to the market the technology in it is very old.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2018, 05:13 pm »
Bluetooth 3 is very long in the tooth now so while the unit may be new to the market the technology in it is very old.

Yes, I would look for a unit with Bluetooth 4.0, the aptX codec and extended range.

aptX would be an incremental quality increase (not night and day as it is still compressed), but would only be functional if the source device also employs it.  aptX is usually only found on higher-end devices except for Apple which hasn't included it on any of their products to date.

I don't think you'll find a better unit than the Audioengine B1, the only question would be is there anything else comparable in sound quality, range and build quality for less money?

Steve

apstoltz

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2018, 06:46 pm »
I use Apple devices, question does something like the Amazon Fire HD tablet use Aptx?

srb

« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2018, 06:54 pm »
It doesn't look like it.  Here is a list of aptX audio enabled products from the Qualcomm/aptX website:

https://www.aptx.com/products

otto802

« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2018, 08:32 pm »
Yes, I would look for a unit with Bluetooth 4.0, the aptX codec and extended range.

aptX would be an incremental quality increase (not night and day as it is still compressed), but would only be functional if the source device also employs it.  aptX is usually only found on higher-end devices except for Apple which hasn't included it on any of their products to date.

I don't think you'll find a better unit than the Audioengine B1, the only question would be is there anything else comparable in sound quality, range and build quality for less money?

Steve

https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-BL-MUSE-02-Bluetooth-Lossless/dp/B074C4VQDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519070930&sr=8-1&keywords=BL-MUSE

Maybe this one would be a better option, and it has pretty lights! (Reminds me of Knight Rider!)

srb

« Reply #13 on: 19 Feb 2018, 09:14 pm »
Maybe this one would be a better option, and it has pretty lights! (Reminds me of Knight Rider!)

Well, it is Bluetooth 4.0/aptX.  Don't know about sound quality (?), there are no reviews yet.  It does have standard range (10m/33ft) instead of extended range (30m/100ft).  But it is a lot cheaper.

???

(BTW, I would think lack of Knight Rider lights would be a feature!)

apstoltz

« Reply #14 on: 21 Feb 2018, 08:51 pm »
any thoughts on the arcam ir dac or other offerings from them? I had their r-dock and was impressed. Just thinking if the ir-dac would be better than the audioengine b1.

Bemopti123

« Reply #15 on: 21 Feb 2018, 09:32 pm »
I have 4 bluetooth DACs. 

The best I have experienced by far is the Arcam Rdac...also being the most expensive one at around $250. 
The other one that I felt was good and I use it all the time in my car is the Arcam Rblink?  No longer made but got it at a bargain $99 about 4 years ago.  For the intended purposes excellent.  It does not drop signal or add strange artifacts to the playback. 
The third on the list is the Ifi bluetooth DAC that costs around $150? Sonically pretty good but the only issue is that it must be powered by something.  You can pair it up with a battery pack.
The last being the worst purchase is the SMSL Bluetooth DAC Sanskrit Pro B....it is fine but nothing to write home about.  I felt it did drop signal once in a while.

From all of the above, I could easily live with the Arcam Rdac.  It is one of the best without introducing artifacts. 

BTW:  many bt connectivity issues asides from the BT DAC being the issue, it might be more of a function of the BT transmitter that the device has.  I played with old iPhone 6, also with a range of Apple MBPs from 2011 to older 2009s....the MBPs have fairly spotty BT communication I felt.  Also, remember to pay attention to BT signal latency.  Meaning, if you use whatever device for strict audio playback, no problems but if you watch any sort of videos with it, there might be a delay between the video and the audio.  Some, have hardly any delay.  the Rdac and Rblink both have delay.

apstoltz

« Reply #16 on: 2 Mar 2018, 02:16 pm »
I am thinking about getting the audioengine b1 and maybe getting a amazon fire hd tablet that has a sd card to hold my music and stream from that? Does anyone have any experience with the amazon tablets and storing music with the sd card slot?

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #17 on: 3 Mar 2018, 02:49 pm »
I am a big fan of my Chromecast Audio plus external DAC. I use it with the JDS Labs OL DAC.

Perfect for those streaming services you mentioned. Surprisingly, I actually have found that it works better with Apple devices than google/Android ones. I used to feed my CCA Spotify Premium with a Samsung Galaxy and would occasionally have connection problems. Since I switched to an iPhone 6s about 7 months ago, my connections have been flawless.

slash71

« Reply #18 on: 3 Mar 2018, 03:55 pm »
chromecast is fine  connected via optical cable, it assure hi-fi quality, but work only via Wi-Fi network not BT.