Longhorn

guest1632

Longhorn
« on: 3 Jan 2018, 11:07 am »
Hi, I remember reading somewhere in these pages about the Longhorn mod for cartridges. Is this just restricted to Grados only? And can I get more info on this topic? I haven't decided yet which TT to buy. I know this is just a bit off topic. Maybe you guys can give me some pointers where to go and what tables to get. Looking at some of the reviews on VPI, Sota, Rega, Music hall, and one other brand which escapes me. The UTurn stuff looks good, but their arms are not flexible enough for mounting different cartridges. I know that Grado just did a major upgrade on all of there cartridges. So not to sure which one to get. So any ideas are welcome. Thanks Frank for letting me ask TT questions in your circle.

That's what happens when you go away for a few years and things change. lol.

ohenry

Re: Longhorn
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2018, 11:19 am »
Hi Ray, AVA is still selling the Longhorn cartridges if you haven't seen this:

http://www.avahifi.com/products/for-vinyl-lovers/longhorn-phono-cartridges

One of those choices may fit your needs without the hassle of finding the u-channel and doing some fine work.  It seems that Frank gave instructions in an early '80's newsletter that is probably found on AC or through his website.

Enjoy your new turntable.  :D

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2018, 02:35 pm »
It's in the first year ('83) under 'Audio Basics Newsletters'. Because it's science-based, the information is still valid. Tried it on several carts and it helped all. Make the bar as long as you can without hitting anything in normal operation.

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate
« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2018, 03:34 pm »
Hi Ray, AVA is still selling the Longhorn cartridges if you haven't seen this:

http://www.avahifi.com/products/for-vinyl-lovers/longhorn-phono-cartridges

One of those choices may fit your needs without the hassle of finding the u-channel and doing some fine work.  It seems that Frank gave instructions in an early '80's newsletter that is probably found on AC or through his website.

Enjoy your new turntable.  :D

Here is an updated link to the longhorn phono cartridges.

https://avahifi.com/collections/for-vinyl-lovers/products/longhorn-phono-cartridges

Mary

G E

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2018, 02:10 am »
Hi, I remember reading somewhere in these pages about the Longhorn mod for cartridges. Is this just restricted to Grados only? And can I get more info on this topic? I haven't decided yet which TT to buy. I know this is just a bit off topic. Maybe you guys can give me some pointers where to go and what tables to get. Looking at some of the reviews on VPI, Sota, Rega, Music hall, and one other brand which escapes me. The UTurn stuff looks good, but their arms are not flexible enough for mounting different cartridges. I know that Grado just did a major upgrade on all of there cartridges. So not to sure which one to get. So any ideas are welcome. Thanks Frank for letting me ask TT questions in your circle.

That's what happens when you go away for a few years and things change. lol.

Put the Well Tempered Amadeus turntable on your short list. I am absolutely delighted with mine. Excellent speed accuracy and delivers PRaT and resolution in spades.  The notes fly off the record!  I use mine with Grado Reference Master (version 1) but also had good results with the entry level woodie Reference Sonata.

The WTA was designed by a Ford aerospace engineer.

TheWTA doesnt have a tonearm bearing per se. The tonearm is attached to a golf ball that is suspended from a structure via monofilament line. The golfball rests in a cup of silicone.  No, im not making this up.  VTA is easily changed, but not on the fly.  Azimuth adjustment is simple.

Platter spindle also eschews traditional bearing. Instead there is a triangular teflon structure holding The spindle in place. Zero tolerance!

Drive "belt" is sewing thread. You can make your own or the US distributor supplies them free of charge. Mine last 4-5 months. Sometimes longer.

Mine came with a pair of white gloves and a digital stylus tracking force gauge.

The WTA runs about $3k but they do turn up on A'Gon once in a while.