Ground question Sensation 901

tenantman

• Industry Participant
  • Togetherness beats all odds
    • Caprice Audio
Ground question Sensation 901
« on: 29 Mar 2013, 04:29 am »

Does anyone know where the ground on the circuit board is located ?

Thanks

tenantman

• Industry Participant
    • Caprice Audio
Re: Why the Ground question- Sensation 901
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2013, 01:40 am »

I have been working on lowering the noise levels for the last 3 months with various materials and techniques and so far after adding shielding to the wires and caps, I've reduced high frequency noise, increase midrange and bass definition and improve coherency, spatiality and dynamics . I have an additional application I wish to implement to the ground off the circuit board to take the Sensation to the next level.

The Sensation is a different animal as it responds very well to these attempts.

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
Re: Ground question Sensation 901
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2013, 02:20 pm »
Wow, that is interesting, any pictures of work? :)

abernardi

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2013, 06:50 pm »
Yes, please, can you fill us in on what exactly you're doing?  I haven't been noticing any noise problems with mine, it's dead quiet.  But I'd particularly be interested in the increased bass definition.

tenantman

• Industry Participant
    • Caprice Audio
« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2013, 01:02 am »

The first step improve the overall bass response by adding the Clarity caps. I isolated the entire Sensation unit using a custom isolation board made of polymer and bamboo material.  To improve definition, it does require several steps.  Substitute the existing hook up wire and replace with solid core silver, remove the volume knob which adds coloration and use shielding on the internal signal wires and caps (pictures forthcoming).

The additional steps has to do with the ground noise. Most folks do hear the difference when switching from the standard supply to a battery supply. I would say that lowering the ground noise the improvement is superior . And mind you I am using the standard switching power supply.

More to come ...

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2013, 01:14 pm »
The first step improve the overall bass response by adding the Clarity caps. I isolated the entire Sensation unit using a custom isolation board made of polymer and bamboo material.  To improve definition, it does require several steps.  Substitute the existing hook up wire and replace with solid core silver, remove the volume knob which adds coloration and use shielding on the internal signal wires and caps (pictures forthcoming).

The additional steps has to do with the ground noise. Most folks do hear the difference when switching from the standard supply to a battery supply. I would say that lowering the ground noise the improvement is superior . And mind you I am using the standard switching power supply.

More to come ...

Look forward to it should be interesting........ :thumb:

tenantman

• Industry Participant
    • Caprice Audio
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2013, 03:34 pm »

More to come ...

Just an update.. Recently found that the Sensation M901 ground and noise scheme is perhaps its weakest element in a very compact design.  I have never heard the great sax on the Antiphone Blues CD in all the years I have owned it sound so visceral.  To say I felt its performance at the Church in all its 3 dimensional glory is an understatement. I just returned a tube kit that I was going to build seeing that there is no point in building it after this experience.

I will post a picture with some description but the device I made is being tested in other systems so a final outcome is yet to be concluded. Just need to confirm if this is a synergistic experience as opposed to a real world improvement for other applications.  For me I am amazed at its performance.

More to come..

I am declaring the M901 Sensation the 9Th wonder of the world.