who's using what for DACs with the Virtue amps?

Trismos

who's using what for DACs with the Virtue amps?
« on: 14 Nov 2011, 03:49 am »
And perhaps more to the point, with the M-901 with the Clarity Caps and GD Buffer? I had been using the Grant DAC-09 but it seems to have suffered the same fate as my amp did (another story) and I may have to replace it also. My source is my PC and I'm clinging to the USB connection though I see that I may want to use something like the Audiophilleo USB to S/PDIF Processor.

abernardi

Re: who's using what for DACs with the Virtue amps?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2011, 04:07 am »
I'm still in the building stages, it's coming along as $ permits..., but I'm using the Audio-gd DAC-19 with my 901, batteries and buffer.  I didn't do the clarity caps, big difference?  I decided to go with the SB Touch so I don't have to deal with USB.  ButI have mixed feelings about the Touch.  The interface is not bad, especially on my Android phone, but it isn't as well laid out as iTunes.  The sound quality so far is really impressive, smooth, very very natural and realistic and engaging...  much better than my last set-up which was more expensive and I'm still just using some small Tannoy monitors at the moment. 

Trismos

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2011, 04:13 am »
I'm still in the building stages, it's coming along as $ permits..., but I'm using the Audio-gd DAC-19 with my 901, batteries and buffer.  I didn't do the clarity caps, big difference? 

I had a little bit of misfortune with my M-901 (that certainly wasn't the amps fault!) and Jason is just putting the finishing touches on repairs which includes the buffer and caps upgrade so I haven't actually heard it yet.

I was looking at the HRT Music Streamer as a DAC option. Has anyone tried that?

jb26

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2011, 01:46 pm »
I'm running the peachtree idac into mine because i wanted multiple options for inputs.

I was happy with it, but took a chance/recommendation and added a music fidelity v-link usb/spdif converter.  I'd say for the additional $200 box, added to a $4000 system, the playback improved 20% - so a good investment.

Music fidelity just released the v-dac II, which incorporates the v-link into the original v-dac, which was well reviewed.  I haven't heard it, but I would give it a go if i didn't need the multiple input options. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:51 am »
I have a Lampizator Level 3 Dac burning in, I have about 300 hours on the Dac. The Virtue amp has never sounded better. The Sensation is so true to what quality of source material you feed it. :thumb:

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:25 am »
I've been using a Channel Islands VDA-2 with VAC-1 for about 3 years now. Wonderful sound across the board. Great detail and refinement. Never harsh or fatiguing. It is pretty basic in terms of bells, whistles and connectivity options, but it is the only DAC anywhere near it's price with a discrete output (that I know of). They don't show up often on the used market, and for good reason. I also owned an Musical Fidelity V-DAC for a few months, but sold it after some system shuffling. The V-DAC offers a lot of bang for the buck. If I didn't already have the CI Audio DAC, I would've been happy keeping the V-DAC. I have to say I'm a little intrigued by the V-DAC2 just based on my positive experience with the original.

justplainmike

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2011, 07:56 pm »
I'm running the peachtree idac into mine because i wanted multiple options for inputs.

Do you like the iDac?  Does it have volume control and, if so, have you used it?  I'm thinking of getting a Decco2 but was looking at the iDac as well.  I'm using an Audio-Gd Dac/Headphone amp currently, but it doesn't have a remote and I don't use the headphone out as much as I thought I might.

justplainmike

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2011, 10:58 pm »
Audio-Gd Dac/Headphone amp hooked up to Apple Tv and run through my One.2 and Magnepan MMG's...love it but was considering Decco2 for the tube preamp and remote....

dvenardos

« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2011, 06:40 am »
Also using Channel Islands VDA-2, nice smooth DAC.

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2011, 07:37 am »
Emotiva Xda-1. Love it.  Xda-2 is imminent and might upgrade to that, but ideally i want a nice battery powered dac down the line. No hurry as this current setup sounds great.

Oh and I also have the claritycap mod.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2011, 07:55 am »
Using the Schit Bifrost and Emotiva xda-1 with my Sensation right now and all things being equal .. So are they.
Both an over achiever for the little money but neither a game changer.
My Eastern Electric was the best DAC I have known.. but was it $500 better than these two.
Probably miss my Audio GDs the most for neutral sound.

« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2011, 04:29 am by tabrink »

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2011, 10:22 am »
I'm using a Grant Fidelity DAC-09 as a pre-amp and DAC right now. My setup is very simple, clean TWO.2 being feed from DAC-09 which acts as tube buffer/DAC/Pre-amp for my Piano M1 CD player  (the best) and my Squeezebox Touch which I use a few ways-optical to DAC/Analog to pre.  I may just grab another Grant piece the DAC-11 or stay this way for awhile. My JBL L830's sound absolutely stunning to me. Everyday when I start listening I'm impressed I actually put together such a great sounding system- owe it all to Seth and Virtue. Love the sound of Virtue gear!!! :thumb:

wsturner

« Reply #12 on: 16 Nov 2011, 06:09 pm »
I have a Lampizator Level 3 Dac burning in, I have about 300 hours on the Dac. The Virtue amp has never sounded better. The Sensation is so true to what quality of source material you feed it. :thumb:

Tom,

Interested in what other DACs you have used - with your Sensation - and how they compare to the Lampizator Level 3.

Scott

dboulet

« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2011, 12:23 am »
I'm using an Audiosector NOS USB DAC with my m901. I have the tube buffer and battery kit, but no cap upgrade. The sound is nice and smooth but I've been wondering lately about how much improvement I'd get from a new DAC. There have been so many improvements in the technology and so many new DACs that have been released this year, really makes one wonder...

The latest EE MiniMax looks really tempting but still waiting for a new Virtue DAC to be announced.  :)

Cheerwino

« Reply #14 on: 17 Nov 2011, 12:34 am »
Scott Nixon NOS Chibi DAC.

Rclark

« Reply #15 on: 17 Nov 2011, 01:07 am »
Using the Schit Bifrost and Emotiva xda-1 with my Sensation right now and all things being equal .. So are they.

So you think the Bifrost and the XDA-1 are pretty comparable huh?

jb26

« Reply #16 on: 17 Nov 2011, 01:35 pm »

Do you like the iDac?  Does it have volume control and, if so, have you used it?  I'm thinking of getting a Decco2 but was looking at the iDac as well.  I'm using an Audio-Gd Dac/Headphone amp currently, but it doesn't have a remote and I don't use the headphone out as much as I thought I might.

I do like the idac, though it doesn't have volume control - I rely on the sensation amp for that.  I bought it because I needed to use the ipod input (can't always attach the computer).  It's a pure doc, so it's basically like a built in wadia.  Originally I use the ipod & usb inputs and found the sound identical.  I then added the v-link into the spdif and the sound improved immensely.  I don't know if it's because of asynchonous v-link or whether the idac's spdif section is better than it's usb section (i suspect the former).  I found the sound very neutral and inline with the sensation's feel.  It also looks good and matches well with the my silver-fronted sensation.

iowatollah

« Reply #17 on: 17 Nov 2011, 10:58 pm »
I have been using a Super Pro that (with a dab of blue tack) fits perfectly on top of my Virtue One.  Sounds great and looks good too.
BTW, thanks again Seth.  Lovin the little amp.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #18 on: 18 Nov 2011, 04:39 am »
 8)
Well I have decided the Schit Bifrost just has so much more detail that if I could only have one the Emotiva XDA-1 would be on the auction block.
I had to break the duel down to my Hifiman planar cans to make the decision as they both are that good. Amazingly good for the money.
The XDA at times almost sounds like it is being influenced by an equalizer.
The Bifrost while not as bright seems to remain more true to the source.
FWIW.. My Eastern Electric and Audio GDs albeit 3 times the price outperformed both of thes $249  DACS.

Trismos

« Reply #19 on: 19 Nov 2011, 05:16 am »
8)
Well I have decided the Schit Bifrost just has so much more detail that if I could only have one the Emotiva XDA-1 would be on the auction block.

The Bifrost looks interesting, especially with it's USB implementation. Do you use the USB tabrink? Or has anyone else tried it with the USB? I was thinking of buying a USB to SPDIF link like the Bel Canto unit http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcanto_USBlink.html and plugging it into my Grant Fidelity Dac 09 if I can fix it.

Any thoughts as to if it would be better to use an adapter like this into the Bifrost instead of using their USB solution? The numbers appear to say no.

Tris