Interest in Mac Mini Hynes power supply

audioengr

Interest in Mac Mini Hynes power supply
« on: 14 Jun 2013, 06:40 pm »
I was actually shocked by the improvement in dynamics that this Mac Mini Hynes power supply made in my system.   I would not be without it now.   It is a 5 amp 18.5VDC linear supply with a special umbilical for the Mac Mini.  Replaces the "floor-wart" AC adapter on 2009 and earlier models. Pricing is $900.00

Picture of it on bottom of rack at Newport show - blue LED underneath:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/empirical-audio-vapor-audio

If I get enough interest, I will order a batch of them.  It will probably not be added to the website since it is a limited edition item.

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2013, 07:06 pm by audioengr »

rogerdn

Re: Interest in Mac Mini Hynes power supply
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2013, 08:13 pm »
Any conversion needed to the Mini ?

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2013, 08:52 pm »
Any conversion needed to the Mini ?

For 2009 and earlier Minis.  They sound better than newer ones anyway, even if they are converted to DC power.

Steve N.

Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2013, 09:38 pm »
I have a 2011 or 2012 Mac Mini, so presumably it will accept the power supply. I would be interested in purchasing one.

Stephen

mikeeastman

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2013, 11:42 pm »
The power supplies won't  work with the newer minis as they have interior power supplies. Dave at PIAudio converts newer mini for use with batteries or DC power supplies.

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2013, 01:18 am »
I have a 2011 or 2012 Mac Mini, so presumably it will accept the power supply. I would be interested in purchasing one.

Stephen

Like I already said, it's for 2009 minis only.  Modified newer Minis can use a similar supply, but the voltage needed is 12VDC.

Steve N.

andrewd01

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2013, 12:22 pm »
Steve, Is this the SR5 or the SR7?  I have been wanting to get one of these but apparently the waiting time from Paul Hynes is over a year!  I need the 12v version so unfortunately I cant participate in your offer.

Given that Paul Hynes cant keep up with demand it would be great if he could license the designs to a third party supplier who could build them to his specs.  His designs can be built with 12v output for those with more recent Macs (converted for external DC power).

The other option on the market is from Teddy Pardo, who can supply within a few weeks.  There aren't many reviews around (using with mac mini) but the one or two I have read are positive.

Paul Hynes

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2013, 03:57 pm »
Hello Andrew01,

The power supply Steve is using and proposing to import is the SR5.

Regarding lead times, there have been long delays with my orders due to my hernia operation last year and the following recovery period. And some of the outstanding orders also had other reasons for delays from earlier than this, like case manufacturing problems and component shortages. Because of these issues I had to extend lead times to allow me to catch up with the backlog. I am working hard to catch up with all the outstanding orders and this does take time to achieve but I am gaining ground well. Longer lead times certainly slowed sales through the Winter and Spring periods, but this has brought a benefit, with shorter lead times for new orders. Lead times are nowhere near a year.

As it happens, I now have an agreement in place for a new manufacturing partnership and my product range will slowly transfer to them in a controlled manner over the next two years. Everything will be built to my specification of course and I will be monitoring progress continually. It will take time as I am busy and there are a lot of products to transfer.

The SR5-12 will work very well with the 2010 and later Mac Minis. Maybe Steve will consider supplying the SR5-12 if enough interest is shown. I do know he is very busy at present, so he may not want to get involved with internal modifications of the 12v minis to allow use with the SR5-12 due to lack of time.

Regards
Paul

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2013, 06:07 pm »
Hello Andrew01,

Regarding lead times, there have been long delays with my orders due to my hernia operation last year and the following recovery period. And some of the outstanding orders also had other reasons for delays from earlier than this, like case manufacturing problems and component shortages. Because of these issues I had to extend lead times to allow me to catch up with the backlog. I am working hard to catch up with all the outstanding orders and this does take time to achieve but I am gaining ground well. Longer lead times certainly slowed sales through the Winter and Spring periods, but this has brought a benefit, with shorter lead times for new orders. Lead times are nowhere near a year.

As it happens, I now have an agreement in place for a new manufacturing partnership and my product range will slowly transfer to them in a controlled manner over the next two years. Everything will be built to my specification of course and I will be monitoring progress continually. It will take time as I am busy and there are a lot of products to transfer.

The SR5-12 will work very well with the 2010 and later Mac Minis. Maybe Steve will consider supplying the SR5-12 if enough interest is shown. I do know he is very busy at present, so he may not want to get involved with internal modifications of the 12v minis to allow use with the SR5-12 due to lack of time.

Regards
Paul

Right, I don't have the time to be modding the Mac Mini.  I prefer to sell Hynes products that I can add value to, as in the 18.5V version for the 2009 Mini.

Thanks,
Steve N.

Stephen

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2013, 10:02 pm »
Hi Steve - I can get my hands on a 2009 Mac Mini, so I am still interested. I assume, then that the only other thing to do to the Mac Mini is to replace the HD with a SSD for best performance. I will run Snow Leopard on it.

Thanks,

Stephen

audioengr

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2013, 02:15 am »
Hi Steve - I can get my hands on a 2009 Mac Mini, so I am still interested. I assume, then that the only other thing to do to the Mac Mini is to replace the HD with a SSD for best performance. I will run Snow Leopard on it.

Thanks,

Stephen

SSD and upgrade the DRAM to 8 gigs.  Otherworldcomputing has both.

Steve N.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2013, 03:55 am »
Steve, Is this the SR5 or the SR7?  I have been wanting to get one of these but apparently the waiting time from Paul Hynes is over a year!  I need the 12v version so unfortunately I cant participate in your offer.

Given that Paul Hynes cant keep up with demand it would be great if he could license the designs to a third party supplier who could build them to his specs.  His designs can be built with 12v output for those with more recent Macs (converted for external DC power).

The other option on the market is from Teddy Pardo, who can supply within a few weeks.  There aren't many reviews around (using with mac mini) but the one or two I have read are positive.

Paul made me the first SR7 for the MAc Mini, and I reviewed it here 18 months ago or so. 
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100343.msg1017999#msg1017999
I agree that Paul's power supplies transforms the Mini.  I have since moved to Windows (server 2012 core version) and had Paul make me a regular dc plug umbilical for it..and showed me how to dial it down to 12V via internal blue mini multi-turn pot.  Anyway...even though what Steve is talking about is the SR5...my point is: go for it.  Hynes ps's transform the Mini!!

audioengr

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jun 2013, 05:00 am »
Paul made me the first SR7 for the MAc Mini, and I reviewed it here 18 months ago or so. 
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100343.msg1017999#msg1017999
I agree that Paul's power supplies transforms the Mini.  I have since moved to Windows (server 2012 core version) and had Paul make me a regular dc plug umbilical for it..and showed me how to dial it down to 12V via internal blue mini multi-turn pot.  Anyway...even though what Steve is talking about is the SR5...my point is: go for it.  Hynes ps's transform the Mini!!

I have not heard the SR7, so it might be even better.  I did however measure the current to my Mini with SSD a 8Gig memory.  It was less than 2 amps.

Steve N.

acg

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jun 2013, 06:23 am »
If so Steve, a 2A supply should suffice.  Is there a reason to go for the larger 5A supply?

Paul Hynes

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #14 on: 16 Jun 2013, 12:07 pm »
Hi acg,

A 2 amp supply might be inadequate if it has a hard current limit at 2 amps as there is always the possibility that extra current might be required under some processing conditions. Also I have noticed that some digital mutimeters are not good at measuring transient current especially if the time between load sampling is quite long and exceeds the time period of the transient current. It is possible that transient current in excess of 2 amps may be required. Extra headroom is good.

Consider cars as an analogy. In the UK a small run-around car might have a 1.2 litre engine, a family saloon might have a 1.8 litre engine and a performance car might have a 3 litre engine. They will all get you from A to B and do 70 MPH but they will do it very differently with improving response and control with the bigger engines in the higher performance cars. Usually other control systems like brakes, suspension and steering are better with the higher performance cars too. How well the car is built and fuel grades can also affect performance. How well the engine cavity is damped for noise transmission will affect your environmental comfort.  In other words there is a bigger picture than just one isolated parameter. If you were buying on price alone you would get the small run-around, but you would ignore the small run-around if you were looking for high performance.

Audio power supplies require a similar level of attention to detail to obtain the best performance. It is not just about how much power is available. It is also about how well power is delivered. Is it available quickly without loosing control? Is it quiet enough to avoid annoying distractions?  Does it provide a good level of isolation from the outside world? Above all, does it allow the equipment to be powered to work well and provide a high sound quality or does it restrict the equipment to be powered significantly and consequently significantly restrict the sound quality?  These are just a few of the points to consider when looking for power supplies.

Regards
Paul

acg

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jun 2013, 08:54 pm »
Thanks Paul.  It is always nice to hear these things straight from the horses mouth.  5 amp it shall be.

Anthony

coot

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jun 2013, 07:25 pm »
Hi Steve-

Count me in.
I have a 2009 mini w/ssd and 8mb ram just waiting for a ps upgrade!

What's the next step?

audioengr

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jun 2013, 09:50 pm »
Hi Steve-

Count me in.
I have a 2009 mini w/ssd and 8mb ram just waiting for a ps upgrade!

What's the next step?

Send me an email and I'll quote it for you.

Thanks,
Steve N.

andrewd01

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2013, 09:32 pm »
Hello Andrew01,

Regards
Paul

Thanks for the info Paul. I understand the reasons for the current backlog, and it looks like things will get better soon. I will order an SR5-12 as soon as the supply chain issues are sorted.  Cheers, Andrew

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jun 2013, 01:45 pm »
Steve/Paul

Will the SR5 work with my 2012 MacBook Pro? I recently sent an inquiry to Paul and he recommended the SR7. I will probably swap out the MBP for a 2009 Mac Mini so if the SR5 would work in the interim it would be a no-brainer for me.

Todd