orientalexpress

Re: One more week of patience...
« Reply #140 on: 15 Jul 2014, 03:37 pm »
Love my O2 amp with LC3  :thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #141 on: 16 Jul 2014, 02:57 am »
Hi all.
Just saw on the Sennheiser website a video showing the first pair of Sennheiser headphones
that I have owned more than 40 years ago (HD414).

My first (or almost first; the horribly uncomfortable Koss Pro4AA's may have been first) headphones too, and to this day unbeaten for comfort although the 2000 ohm* (that is not a typo) microphone elements used in them have been surpassed many times over for SQ.

*Don't try them with portable devices lol

Guy 13

« Reply #142 on: 16 Jul 2014, 03:31 am »
My first (or almost first; the horribly uncomfortable Koss Pro4AA's may have been first) headphones too, and to this day unbeaten for comfort although the 2000 ohm* (that is not a typo) microphone elements used in them have been surpassed many times over for SQ.

*Don't try them with portable devices lol

Hi dB Cooper.
A long, long time ago, I did own a pair of Koss, (Don't remember the model) and they sounded...
Well good, because at the time I knew nothing, well, very little about HiFi audio.
I sold them at the lost to my brother in law and he was happy with them. Good for him.
I think it's after that that I bought the Sennheiser HD414.

Guy 13
(I still miss my Stax. :cry:
why did I sell them ? :duh:)

Guy 13

« Reply #143 on: 16 Jul 2014, 03:44 am »
Hi all.
The other day I met a nice Vietnamese guy via the Bottlehead Forum.
He owns a Crack headphone amplifier like mine, but his, as the Speedball up-grade
and one day, hopefully before I die, he will come to my house with his amplifier
and his (Expensive and heavy - 18Kg) Sonic BG NFD or B DAC unit.
He told me that his up-graded Crack will make my Sennheiser sound less veiled and dark.
I am very anxious to hear that with my own ears.
I have a tendency to not believe people, only believe my own two 66 years old ears.
If the Bottlehead Speedball up-grade makes my HD650 less dark,
I could be saving about 275 USD. (400USD for the HD600 and 125 USD for the Speedball)
But, I will stay put until I hear his Crack.
I would like to keep my HD650, they are nice looking, comfortable, paid for
and they sound good, except the dark side of the moon, sorry, the dark side.
I don't like to buy something, then shortly after change it
and all the time loose money, lots of it.
Stay tuned, more to come.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #144 on: 16 Jul 2014, 02:32 pm »
I yet think you would mod the HD650 dark sound with the right cable.

Guy 13

« Reply #145 on: 17 Jul 2014, 02:24 am »
I yet think you would mod the HD650 dark sound with the right cable.

Hi FULLRANGEMAN.
It's not that I don't believe you when you suggest to up-grade the headphone cable,
but I really prefer to hear the improvement, if there is an improvement, with my own ears.
I am looking for a Vietnamese audiophiles that could help me with your suggestion.
However, that might take quite some time.
Thanks anyway for the suggestion, I will certainly keep it on my mind.
You did not wasted your time with me with your suggestion.

Guy 13

Rocket

« Reply #146 on: 19 Jul 2014, 12:12 pm »
Hi Guy,

I'm using AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio Young Guru which are great for portable use and work (I'm not allowed to use a radio at work) and a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD900's headphones, iBass DX50 (as a source) and an ALO Audio Rx portable amplifier at the moment.  The JDS Labs Objective 2 amplifier hopefully will arrive this week.  Funnily enough I've been consider the Sennheiser HD650's which I can purchase for a good price or a pair of Audio Technica K712 Pro's as well and I've also bought a refurbished iPod 5G classic which is on its way to Red Wine Audio for modification.  Vinnie's modification to the iPod is fantastic!

Btw I took my daughter along to http://headphones.com.au which has a wide selection of headphones to audition whilst I was consider son Earsoncs IEM.  I brought her along in the hope that I could convinced her to buy a pair of good sound headphones instead of the rubbish canal headphones she was using at the time.  She ended buying a pair of AKG:K619's sound quite good for the price. 

Cheers Rod

Guy 13

« Reply #147 on: 19 Jul 2014, 12:24 pm »
Hi Guy,

I'm using AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio Young Guru which are great for portable use and work (I'm not allowed to use a radio at work) and a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD900's headphones, iBass DX50 (as a source) and an ALO Audio Rx portable amplifier at the moment.  The JDS Labs Objective 2 amplifier hopefully will arrive this week.  Funnily enough I've been consider the Sennheiser HD650's which I can purchase for a good price or a pair of Audio Technica K712 Pro's as well and I've also bought a refurbished iPod 5G classic which is on its way to Red Wine Audio for modification.  Vinnie's modification to the iPod is fantastic!

Btw I took my daughter along to http://headphones.com.au which has a wide selection of headphones to audition whilst I was consider son Earsoncs IEM.  I brought her along in the hope that I could convinced her to buy a pair of good sound headphones instead of the rubbish canal headphones she was using at the time.  She ended buying a pair of AKG:K619's sound quite good for the price. 

Cheers Rod

Hi Rod.
Thanks for your comments.
Here on planet Vietnam it rains almost every day,
fortunately, only light rain.

Guy 13

Rocket

« Reply #148 on: 19 Jul 2014, 03:19 pm »
Hi Guy,

Just found a really good price on a new pair of Sennheiser hd650's and bought them.  I'll let you know what I think of them when they are burnt in.  Whilst I understand your disappointment with their sound quality I quite liked the combination of the hd650's and your crack headphone amplifier when I heard them on my holiday.

Cheers Rod

ps.  they cost $650au here in australia which is about $700US.

Guy 13

« Reply #149 on: 19 Jul 2014, 03:28 pm »
Hi Guy,

Just found a really good price on a new pair of Sennheiser hd650's and bought them.  I'll let you know what I think of them when they are burnt in.  Whilst I understand your disappointment with their sound quality I quite liked the combination of the hd650's and your crack headphone amplifier when I heard them on my holiday.

Cheers Rod

ps.  they cost $650au here in Australia which is about $700US.

Hi Rod.
WOW !!!! 700 USD for the HD650.
Are they gold plated ? :lol:
I don't want to make you feel bad, but I paid mine 410 USD here on planet Vietnam.
O.K. I admit, they were on promotion.
I really look forward to read your comments on the sound of your new HD650
and since you are a musician, it will have more value to me.
What headphones amplifier will you use to drive them?

Guy 13

Since you've listened to my HD650 when you were at my place,
that means you bought your HD650 because of me,
therefore I could legally as you for a finder's fee or some kind of commission,
but I won't do that, since you have paid 700 USD for yours. :lol:

Rocket

« Reply #150 on: 20 Jul 2014, 12:40 am »
Hi Guy,

My conversion is wrong they sell for about $600US in Australia.  I found an online dealer selling them which cost me abut $350US delivered.  I have ordered an JDS Labs Objective 2 which I can use with my iMod as the source.  It was a toss up between the AKG K712 pro and the Sennheiser HD650.  Thanks for the compliment of being a musician but not sure whether I have better ears or not than anyone else.  I guess its a particular sound that we are all chasing that is the main thing.

I haven't had much exposure to tubes and I did hear a slightly different sound from your system than what my system sounds like.  I liked it.  At the price I bought them for its worth giving them a try.  I'm finding that I'm listening to headphones more than my main system because it is too revealing and many cd's are aren't recorded well.

Cheers Rod

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #151 on: 20 Jul 2014, 12:56 am »
Hi FULLRANGEMAN.
It's not that I don't believe you when you suggest to up-grade the headphone cable,
but I really prefer to hear the improvement, if there is an improvement, with my own ears.
I am looking for a Vietnamese audiophiles that could help me with your suggestion.
However, that might take quite some time.
Thanks anyway for the suggestion, I will certainly keep it on my mind.
You did not wasted your time with me with your suggestion.

Guy 13
I can donate you my HifiMan stock cable, its very robust japanese Canare 3 metres long.
I will charge you only the ship to Vietnam.
Of course I cant ensure it will improve the sound of your phone.
You will have to change the conector to the 650 type.

Guy 13

« Reply #152 on: 20 Jul 2014, 01:52 am »
I can donate you my HifiMan stock cable, its very robust japanese Canare 3 metres long.
I will charge you only the ship to Vietnam.
Of course I cant ensure it will improve the sound of your phone.
You will have to change the conector to the 650 type.

Hi FULLRANGEMAN.
Thanks for your generous and nice offer,
however, let me first explore other possibilities.
Thanks.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #153 on: 22 Jul 2014, 03:47 pm »
Guy
Maybe you would contact Sennheiser customer service by email to listen what they have to say about this sound character(not the small soundstage size prob).

Guy 13

« Reply #154 on: 23 Jul 2014, 01:31 am »
Guy
Maybe you would contact Sennheiser customer service by email to listen what they have to say about this sound character(not the small soundstage size prob).

Hi FULLRANGEMAN.
I might do that, but after I've done a few more tests.
Thanks for the advice.

Guy 13

Rocket

« Reply #155 on: 23 Jul 2014, 09:15 am »
Hi Guy,

Well I was a bit worried about this purchase from E Global Digital Cameras because after purchasing it I discovered that it is a Hong Kong based company (I shouldn't surf the net after consuming too many beers).  Anyway the Sennheiser HD650 safely arrived today and it appears to be genuine.  Also my JDS Labs Objective 2 headphone amplifier arrived as well and I'm currently listening to the combination at the moment.  I have to say that initial listening reveals that I'm really happy with the sound.

My last piece of the jigsaw is for Vinnie at Red Wine Audio to modify my new iPod 60gig 5 G classic for me.  The iMod is a great sounding source.  Thanks Guy for putting me onto this and I'm not being smart by placing it in this thread.  We all have difference music preferences and should respect each others opinions  :icon_lol:.

Btw the little Objective 2 has plenty of power to drive the headphone.

Cheers Rod

Guy 13

« Reply #156 on: 23 Jul 2014, 11:17 am »
Hi Guy,

Well I was a bit worried about this purchase from E Global Digital Cameras because after purchasing it I discovered that it is a Hong Kong based company (I shouldn't surf the net after consuming too many beers).  Anyway the Sennheiser HD650 safely arrived today and it appears to be genuine.  Also my JDS Labs Objective 2 headphone amplifier arrived as well and I'm currently listening to the combination at the moment.  I have to say that initial listening reveals that I'm really happy with the sound.

My last piece of the jigsaw is for Vinnie at Red Wine Audio to modify my new iPod 60gig 5 G classic for me.  The iMod is a great sounding source.  Thanks Guy for putting me onto this and I'm not being smart by placing it in this thread.  We all have difference music preferences and should respect each others opinions  :icon_lol:.

Btw the little Objective 2 has plenty of power to drive the headphone.

Cheers Rod

Hi Rod.
Congratulation for your HD650 purchase.
It's very smart from you posting your thank you to me on AC,
well, let me re-phrae that:
It's a good idea to publicly say thank you to me for helping you to try and then buy a good pair of Sennheiser HD650 headphones.
It makes me pruoud of being helpfull.
Glad to see that your O2 has plenty of power.
Now, we have to wait for your report on your modified 5G classic.
Enjoy.

Guy 13

Rocket

« Reply #157 on: 23 Jul 2014, 02:15 pm »
Hi Guy,

I will say one thing is that I am not ultimate performance from a pair of headphones.  I definitely don't want a pair of headphones where I can't listen to my favourite music which isn't audiophile standard.  It sounds like rubbish on my hifi system and I've had enough of listening to elevator music which is well recorded.

I've had the iMod before but mine broke and its only a little more to buy a larger capacity refurbished iPod than to repair my current one.  The iMod is a great source period AFAIK.

I definitely don't want to minimise the issues that you feel that you are experiencing with the sound quality of the HD650's.  But your comments regarding their sound pointed me in the direction of doing my research.

Cheers Rod

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #158 on: 23 Jul 2014, 04:53 pm »
Maybe consider ît will help understand Guy prob.
The HD600 have more treble SPL than the HD650
The HD650 have more bass and less treble than the 600
Guy ears are aged to treble, the result is a anemic sound that Guy report for the 650 and a better performance for the 600.
Blue line HD600....RED line HD650:

Guy 13

« Reply #159 on: 24 Jul 2014, 08:11 am »
Hi Guy,

I will say one thing is that I am not ultimate performance from a pair of headphones.  I definitely don't want a pair of headphones where I can't listen to my favourite music which isn't audiophile standard.  It sounds like rubbish on my hifi system and I've had enough of listening to elevator music which is well recorded.

I've had the iMod before but mine broke and its only a little more to buy a larger capacity refurbished iPod than to repair my current one.  The iMod is a great source period AFAIK.

I definitely don't want to minimise the issues that you feel that you are experiencing with the sound quality of the HD650's.  But your comments regarding their sound pointed me in the direction of doing my research.

Cheers Rod

Hi Rod.
Please, may I say that every person is different,
especially when it comes to audio and it's not because I don't like a products
or should I say: It's not because a product is not to my expectations
that it's no good, on the contrary.
The HD650 are very good headphones,
it's just that I find them veiled and dark, but that's me,
the proof to that:
You like yours and many others like them too.

Guy 13