Early feedbackl on the DSD Komputer from the NLs.

wisnon

Early feedbackl on the DSD Komputer from the NLs.
« on: 1 Aug 2015, 05:33 pm »
Posted by a pal in Holland:

Well Wisnon, my holiday is nearing its end. So after the visit of Lukasz and after I dropped him off at Schiphol airport I started listening very intensively to all kind of dsd files (and with some you are quite familiar :-)) from eg Channel Classics, Pentatone, Mercury, RCA (Living Stereo), Highdeftransfertape, etc. I already described earlier on this thread that the Tidal LA speakers are phenomenal. However, the dedicated server Lukasz built for me is extraordinary as well and is driving the Lampi Golden Gate to levels I had not experienced before. Good dsd on the Tidal LA's is way better than I had ever antipated. As a matter of fact, the system sounds so awfully good that for the first time in my life I am really sad that from next Monday onwards working life starts again.
« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2015, 07:11 pm by wisnon »

Tomy2Tone

Re: Early feedbackl on the DSD Komputer from the NLs.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2015, 05:46 pm »
Posted by a pal in Holland:

Well Wisnon, my holiday is nearing its end. So after the visit of Lukasz and after I dropped him off at Schiphol airport I started listening very intensively to all kinds of dsd files (and with some you are quite familiar

And then what... :|

sfox7076

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2015, 05:53 pm »
He is clearly enjoying the music too much to post the rest...

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2015, 05:59 pm »
He is clearly enjoying the music too much to post the rest...

I was thinking maybe he fell over in ecstasy like one of those fainting goats do when they're scared...

« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2015, 07:11 pm by Tomy2Tone »

wisnon

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2015, 07:13 pm »
Technical difficulty. Dunno why.

However, if I had a pair of LAssolutas, I would be in extasy too. LoL

sfox7076

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2015, 12:11 am »
I am very happy with my LPS Mac Mini based system.  Had someone over to hear the Big 7 this afternoon.  He is going to let me know (which translates to he wanted to hear it, but doesn't have the cash).  He was blown away and loved it compared to my Hugo.  I had not done an A/B with the MacMini with LPS and the Hugo vs. the same with the Big 7.  I agreed with him.  The Hugo had a very technical air to it compared to the Big 7.  I imagine Lukasz computer kicks it up a few notches, but it costs about 6-7x what the MacMini and LPS cost me... 

Shanw

wisnon

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2015, 09:43 am »
Shawn, did you finally do the head to head with the Hugo?

I did it with AL last Summer with his older generation B7 (before he recently upgraded it to latest specs) with his maxxed out CAPs server and high end headphones, Senn HD800, Stax Electrostitics, Hifiman, etc with Woo WA amps and Senn SS amps.

It was a massacre. The Hugo, who I was rooting for before (as I own a Chord Qute EX), did not stand a chance…especially on DSD, but also on PCM.

Of course saying so online did NOT make us popular.
« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2015, 07:53 pm by wisnon »

sfox7076

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2015, 02:19 pm »
I had before, and came to the same conclusion.  With the LPS, it was worse.  Hugo sounded like a hollow digital mess compared to the Big7. 

*Scotty*

« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2015, 03:56 pm »
Whats the differential in price between the Chord Hugo and the LamizatOr B7?
Scotty

PhilipAC

« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2015, 04:11 pm »
I don't want to make myself unpopular, and I must emphasise I have NOT heard the Hugo, but isn't comparing the Hugo with a Big7 a bit like comparing a Ford with a BMW. Each might be very good at their price range but.....

wisnon

« Reply #10 on: 2 Aug 2015, 05:42 pm »
Very true Scotty and Phil,

BUT the HUGO people were online saying its was the best Dac at ANY price. You must recall the buzz on line last year, similar to the current Schiit Yggsdrasil hype. There was NO limit to the hyperbole.

That is when we intervened to restore sanity. To be frank, an L4 with DSD will beat a Hugo, as did the PSA DirectStream Dac.

To my ears, the hype was way overblown and I am not sure the Hugo beats a Qute EX with PLSU.
« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2015, 07:54 pm by wisnon »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #11 on: 2 Aug 2015, 07:39 pm »

That is when we intervened to restore sanity.

Thank you for saving us, Norman.

To be frank, a L$ with DSD will beat a Hugo, as did the PSA DirectStream Dac.

Um, they should, they are multiple times the cost of a Hugo. 

I have new amps and preamp in the system now, and would love to try a Lampi again someday (hoping this time no fireworks).

wisnon

« Reply #12 on: 2 Aug 2015, 07:53 pm »
Thank you for saving us, Norman.

Um, they should, they are multiple times the cost of a Hugo. 

I have new amps and preamp in the system now, and would love to try a Lampi again someday (hoping this time no fireworks).
LoL
I was not speaking about you Ted, but you must recall the unrestrained hyperbole. Same going on for the Yggy now.

Talk to ther Lampi NA guys and see if they have demo units. I know there is a huge backlog of GG orders and I also know they have a long break-in period vs other Lampis. Perhaps the LampiNA guys have B7s or Lite7s??? Not sure why the fireworks then, as I have never seen another report online with the same issues. I guess it must have been very system specific.

BTW, a used L4 DSD only can run as low as $2,200 and a L4 with DSD/PCM can be had for as low as $3,200 online. Give me one of those over a Hugo for a home system anyway.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 2 Aug 2015, 10:59 pm »
While I agree the hype of the Hugo was off the charts, it seems equally ridiculous to compare a portable player with a full size component.  In terms of power supply refinement alone a full size DAC (should at least) would have a huge advantage.
What does a used Hugo go for?  Just sayin'...  I think keeping comparisons more apples to apples rather than apples to sesame seeds.
Now it remains to be seen what the new Chord DAC (top of the line, the real thing, not a qute or anything) will be able to do.

sfox7076

« Reply #14 on: 2 Aug 2015, 11:51 pm »
But, the hype was way off the charts with many people dumping all over the Mietner based on the Hugo.  I never agreed with those comments and the Meitner (no matter how much I respect you Ted) and the Mietner was in the $7k price range if I recall.  Also, battery power is often held out as the top of the food chain in in a lot of circles.  So, I hear the arguments.  I have owned all three of these DACs, and well, I am getting a Golden Gate now...

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2015, 12:06 am »
Battery power is WAY over rated.  Sure, it can beat poorly implemented AC designs, but not good ones.
One big advabtage of Lampi DACs is the attention paid to power supply implementation, with input chokes, etc...

sfox7076

« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug 2015, 12:14 am »
I agree.  Lukasz is really good at implementing power.  I find Tom Meyers designs to be really well done and smart as well.  If I had room for the 211 Amps, I would probably buy them. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2015, 03:20 am »
But, the hype was way off the charts with many people dumping all over the Mietner based on the Hugo.  I never agreed with those comments and the Meitner (no matter how much I respect you Ted) and the Mietner was in the $7k price range if I recall.  Also, battery power is often held out as the top of the food chain in in a lot of circles.  So, I hear the arguments.  I have owned all three of these DACs, and well, I am getting a Golden Gate now...

Shawn, I loved my Meitner.  It is still my favorite DAC for some DSD playback (esp piano).  It just didn't do redbook like others, including the Hugo.

wisnon

« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2015, 08:47 am »
While I agree the hype of the Hugo was off the charts, it seems equally ridiculous to compare a portable player with a full size component.  In terms of power supply refinement alone a full size DAC (should at least) would have a huge advantage.
What does a used Hugo go for?  Just sayin'...  I think keeping comparisons more apples to apples rather than apples to sesame seeds.
Now it remains to be seen what the new Chord DAC (top of the line, the real thing, not a qute or anything) will be able to do.

Barrows, this is EXACTLY my point a year ago! However, it was dfifficult to make it against the maddening cries.

I do expect that the upcoming DAVE should be a perfomance champ though.

wisnon

« Reply #19 on: 3 Aug 2015, 08:53 am »
Battery power is WAY over rated.  Sure, it can beat poorly implemented AC designs, but not good ones.
One big advabtage of Lampi DACs is the attention paid to power supply implementation, with input chokes, etc...

I agree about battery power too.

Lukasz has a background in high voltage physics. I expect that this helped him to appreciate power quality? I know his power designs are "sixty Sigma", ie waaay overspecified.