Indy Films...What's Good Lately? (Also, "TheRoom")

ajzepp

Every so often I seem to completely forget how much I love indy films...not the faux ones where all the big name actors trade a paycheck for an opportunity at a good script...but the super low budget films with no-name directors, actors,and writers, that just tell interesting stories.

Have you guys seen anything lately that would fall into this category? If so, do tell.

I was playing around on Amazon Prime the other day and ended up watching a couple that I found really interesting. The first was a short film called "The Ride"...had a bit of a faith/spirituality/Christmas theme to it....and the other was "Buzzard". Buzzard is about a guy in his 20s who lives not from paycheck to paycheck, but from scam to scam. Stealing office supplies from his temp job and "returning" them to the store...endorsing checks to himself and depositing them...etc. It's one of those "fly on the wall" type films where there's not so much a traditional arc, but where you're sort of just watching a slice of someone's life. Can't say it was a great film, but I did find it pretty interesting and the time seemed to fly by...usually that's a good sign that I was entertained.

Also, there's a film that my favorite movie podcast (SkipToTheEnd) has just raved about as a cult film...it's one of those "it's so bad that it's good" type of movies. It's called "The Room", and was written, directed, and stars Tommy Wiseau. About 20 min in, I truly thought it was just a troll. But I decided to stick with it, and by God, by the end of the movie I actually found myself connected to it. I think it's only a very small minority who find this film endearing/entertaining, but I guess I have to include myself in that group.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368226/

stlrman

Re: Indy Films...What's Good Lately? (Also, "TheRoom")
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2016, 04:24 pm »
Thanks for the write up!
So many great Indie movies to watch with streaming services !
On Netflix I recommend Blue Ruin , The Babadook (horror), and check out Tangerine which was very well done and shot with I phones !! Also , It Follows (horror)
Force Majeure ,is on my to see list! (Netflix)
Scenic Route , was pretty awesome! :

Tensions rise between lifelong friends Mitchell and Carter after their truck breaks down on an isolated desert road as they start to attack each other's life decisions with unwavering brutality.

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2016, 06:32 pm »
Funny - my friend just recommended The Room to me. Said it was great but also said it was very much like the book.

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2016, 10:34 pm »
Funny - my friend just recommended The Room to me. Said it was great but also said it was very much like the book.

That's probably one of the other movies that have the same name...I don't think there was a book for this version. If you ever see it, you'll know why.

Of course, I could totally be wrong and Tommy DID write a book...and that would be amazing. But something tells me your wife would probably hate the "Room" film that I'm talking about  :lol:

Okay, guys...watch at least the first few mins of this (it's only 7 min long, but I know most of you probably will click off early) and see if the Tommy Wiseau genius captivates you...just allow it to cascade over you like a shower of brilliance!
https://youtu.be/0fmlHu8eMS0

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2016, 10:39 pm »
Thanks for the write up!
So many great Indie movies to watch with streaming services !
On Netflix I recommend Blue Ruin , The Babadook (horror), and check out Tangerine which was very well done and shot with I phones !! Also , It Follows (horror)
Force Majeure ,is on my to see list! (Netflix)
Scenic Route , was pretty awesome! :

Tensions rise between lifelong friends Mitchell and Carter after their truck breaks down on an isolated desert road as they start to attack each other's life decisions with unwavering brutality.

Thanks man, a couple of those I haven't seen yet...will add them to my list.

So It Follows was pretty good then? I'm really picky about that genre, but the trailer looked good and the reviews seem solid...what do you give it on a scale of 1-10?

stlrman

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2016, 12:28 am »
I would give it a 9. The wife wanted to it again the next day. Did you see the Babadook? Which ones did you see?

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2016, 12:37 am »
I would give it a 9. The wife wanted to it again the next day. Did you see the Babadook? Which ones did you see?

I've seen Blue Ruin and Tangerine (better than the trailer would lead you to believe)...you're the third person to suggest the Babadook, so guess I need to see that one...then the others you listed I haven't seen yet.

stlrman

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2016, 12:47 am »
Cool. Yes the Babadook is VERY well done!
Here is a nice list I just found

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/the-25-best-independent-movies-streaming-on-netflix-right-now/the-master

I have seen many of these. Fruitville Station is great . The director and lead actor went on to do Creed , which I heard is great. I'll look over this list some more. I saw Cake , it's pretty good.
Bernie is a great dark comedy!! :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2016, 07:57 am »
That's probably one of the other movies that have the same name...I don't think there was a book for this version. If you ever see it, you'll know why.

Yeah, it's the new film Room. No, The!

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2016, 10:29 pm »
Yeah, it's the new film Room. No, The!

I've heard that one is pretty good too :) 

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 5 Feb 2016, 10:31 pm »
Cool. Yes the Babadook is VERY well done!
Here is a nice list I just found

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/the-25-best-independent-movies-streaming-on-netflix-right-now/the-master

I have seen many of these. Fruitville Station is great . The director and lead actor went on to do Creed , which I heard is great. I'll look over this list some more. I saw Cake , it's pretty good.
Bernie is a great dark comedy!! :thumb:

Great link...I wish Netflix wouldn't change their inventory so quickly...sometimes I add a film to the queue, but then when I go to watch it it's already gone. They just added "The Experimenter", which I'm really eager to see...hopefully it'll be there long enough!

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2016, 05:23 am »
Speaking of what's on Netflix, I watched a great Indy last night, called 'Frank'. I knew nothing about the people involved with the film. I absolutely loved it. Tonight, I watched an Indy that starred Jennifer Aniston, and I have to say that I now respect her acting ability. The film is 'Cake', and it sets its hooks in you almost immediately, then drags you through a mire of physical and psychological pain. Her portrayal is stunningly well delivered, as attested by how painful it is to watch the small slice of a life, sometime more than a year after it took a sudden turn. I never expected that I'd recommend a movie starring Jennifer Aniston, but that's exactly what I'm doing.

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2016, 11:25 pm »
Speaking of what's on Netflix, I watched a great Indy last night, called 'Frank'. I knew nothing about the people involved with the film. I absolutely loved it. Tonight, I watched an Indy that starred Jennifer Aniston, and I have to say that I now respect her acting ability. The film is 'Cake', and it sets its hooks in you almost immediately, then drags you through a mire of physical and psychological pain. Her portrayal is stunningly well delivered, as attested by how painful it is to watch the small slice of a life, sometime more than a year after it took a sudden turn. I never expected that I'd recommend a movie starring Jennifer Aniston, but that's exactly what I'm doing.

Both good flicks...agreed

PS: "The Experimenter" just hit Netflix, as well...it stars Peter Sarsgaard and is about psychologist Stanley Milgram and his social psych experiments on conformation and obedience in the 60s. I got half way through before I had to go to sleep. Will finish tonight.

stlrman

« Reply #13 on: 9 Feb 2016, 11:42 pm »
I saw Cake and enjoyed it. Don't miss , Beasts of No Nation.
Frank is on my list , as I saw it has a 99% on RT.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2016, 03:56 am »
I just watched 'It's Such a Beautiful Day' - that was different.

Beasts of No Nation.

Talking about movies that are hard to watch, that one takes the cake. My only criticism is that certain scenes cannot be unwatched.

Both good flicks...agreed

PS: "The Experimenter" just hit Netflix, as well...

A search for 'The Experimenter' came up empty for me.?.

ajzepp

« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2016, 03:59 am »

A search for 'The Experimenter' came up empty for me.?.

That's weird...are you in the states?

stlrman

« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2016, 11:34 am »
AJ, have you seen City of God ?

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2016, 12:09 pm »
That's weird...are you in the states?

Yes, and I found it without the 'The' - the title is just 'Experimenter'. As I'm deeply knowledgeable about the subject matter, my curiosity is piqued.

ajzepp

« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2016, 10:49 pm »
Yes, and I found it without the 'The' - the title is just 'Experimenter'. As I'm deeply knowledgeable about the subject matter, my curiosity is piqued.

Ah, good catch. And yeah, I have a background in psych, as well, and certainly remember studying Milgram...his work always made/makes for interesting conversation.

I can't wait to finish it...ended up having to work OT last night, so tonight for sure.

Let us know what you think :)

ajzepp

« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2016, 10:52 pm »
AJ, have you seen City of God ?

City of God I started to watch it several years ago, but I turned it off about half way through. Not because it wasn't good - it was amazingly well done - I just remember feeling at the time that I couldn't stomach the violence. I don't remember the circumstances or why I was sensitive to it when I watched it, but I know it's very well-regarded so I may give it another go.