Sub Crossover Question

Eric

Sub Crossover Question
« on: 26 Mar 2010, 05:53 pm »
Mike,

I am thinking about augmenting the Jag/LFM bass with subs. Where would you cross the subs over?

roscoeiii

Re: Sub Crossover Question
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2010, 06:01 pm »
In my experience, you will need to play around with that in your own room. Will you be using a high pass filter to your main speakers, or just be setting a crossover for the sub and letting your main speakers play full range? If you are not using a high pass filter for your main speakers, take a look at their frequency response curve and you will have a decent idea of where to start playing with the corssover–at the point that the low end begins to decline on that graph. You could either set the crossover by ear, or employ a meter and some test tones if you are more concerned with a flat response. Sub placement will likely also play a role here.

For more advanced sub-mains integration you might want to look into something like an NHT X2 or other crossover with such features. I just obtained one and am looking forward to setting it up as soon as I get back into town.

Hope this helps.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2010, 04:33 pm »
I agree with Roscoe. Those LFMs should go pretty low on their own. It is so room dependent, but they could be strong down into the low 20s or even lower. Any sub that will provide additional foundation will have to be a mighty one indeed. I'd highly recommend doing some measurements in room.

Eric

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2010, 09:02 pm »
Thanks, bro