Speaker Isolation

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Speaker Isolation
« on: 28 Mar 2015, 06:43 pm »
Hi Steve,

What would you recommend for this project that is underway?  This is two separate cabinets (single driver monitor on top and powered mid-bass cubes below) with the black platform between them.  Each monitor is ~28lbs and the bottom is 11" x 14".  The platform will be MDF. 

I will use something for isolation above and below the platform.  So far, I'm looking at small thin fat dots, grungebuster dots or extra thick grungebuster dots.  I would need 16 (four above and four below each middle platform).

Thanks for your advice,  .........Peter

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Speaker Isolation
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2015, 12:24 am »
Small "Thin" Fat Dots are appropriate and should do superbly. Grungebuster Dots are not particularly recommended for loudspeaker applications. For best results overall, I recommend also "Thin" Fat Dots between bottom module and bottom platform and a Cone/Spike Decoupling Glider under each of the spike feet.

(You might do just as well or better with four Square Fat Dots [or Big Fat Dots] between each of the two cabinets and no MDF platform between the cabinets.)

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Speaker Isolation
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2015, 03:55 pm »
Thanks Steve,

As we determined off the forum, I have eight small "thin" fat dots from a few years ago I had on stands under monitors.  So eight more of these should do it.

The MDF platform is part of the aesthetic design, so I don't want to eliminate it.

......Peter