Elyse v. Modwright TP

Shredder

Elyse v. Modwright TP
« on: 8 Apr 2016, 04:50 pm »
I love my Modwright Transporter, but with the demise of that product line, i know I will need to change eventually. Obviously, I am considering the Elyse as a replacement.

Has anyone compared the two? Is the Elyse a significant upgrade? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

zermatt

Re: Elyse v. Modwright TP
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2016, 05:23 pm »
The Elyse is very much better the the M-TP.  I had/have both units.  The Elyse is designed as a seemless product form the PS to the analog board.

JMosch

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2016, 11:09 pm »
In my mind these are different products. The TP is a music server with an eithernet connection, sure it CAN be used as a DAC, but that is not what it is. Because I use my TP as a server, I can't substitute a product like the Elyse.

Shredder

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2016, 05:18 pm »
If I buy an Elyse or other DAC, I will have to find a new streamer/renderer. Microrendu is obvious candidate. What I am interested in is a comparison of the the MWTP dac (that is what MW upgraded/modded after all) and the Elysse (and other newer dacs).

To expand the question a bit: I have read from many sources that there has been a huge improvement in DAC quality over the last 5 years (and definitely since I bought my MWTP in 2008). I have heard a few good ones (Schiit Yggy, PS Audio, Lumin, Benchmark 2, the Elysse) but always with very different gear than what I own. It will also be hard for me to demo new dacs as doing so will require buying a new streamer (except for hybrids like PSA, Lumin), which I do not want to commit to unless or until I decide to get a new DAC. What I am really wondering is, how has the MWTP met the test of time? It was great in 08, how does it stack up now? Vs. Elysse (I accept that it is better, but how and how much?) and other comparable dacs.

Any input will be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2016, 10:46 pm by Shredder »

Shredder

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2017, 07:44 pm »
Any thoughts? I have considered posting this on Audiogon but figured you all would know the MWTP best. Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Happy new year.

JMosch

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2017, 10:33 pm »
If I buy an Elyse or other DAC, I will have to find a new streamer/renderer. Microrendu is obvious candidate. What I am interested in is a comparison of the the MWTP dac (that is what MW upgraded/modded after all) and the Elysse (and other newer dacs).

To expand the question a bit: I have read from many sources that there has been a huge improvement in DAC quality over the last 5 years (and definitely since I bought my MWTP in 2008). I have heard a few good ones (Schiit Yggy, PS Audio, Lumin, Benchmark 2, the Elysse) but always with very different gear than what I own. It will also be hard for me to demo new dacs as doing so will require buying a new streamer (except for hybrids like PSA, Lumin), which I do not want to commit to unless or until I decide to get a new DAC. What I am really wondering is, how has the MWTP met the test of time? It was great in 08, how does it stack up now? Vs. Elysse (I accept that it is better, but how and how much?) and other comparable dacs.

Any input will be much appreciated.

I am also interested in this question. And BTW, thanks for clearing up the original post.

So if you just want to compare the DAC in the MWTP vs. some other DAC, can't you use the TP as a server and then hook up the other DAC via a dig out?  I know you should be able to do this for 44/16 material, not ideal but easy.

modwright

• Facilitator
    • ModWright Instruments
« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2017, 07:12 pm »
An option to consider is the new Oppo Sonica DAC, with our modifications.

I have a unit arriving today, to start working on the mod.

First of all, it offers the same flexibility of the Transporter, whilst adding the LATEST 32-bit SABRE DAC chip, blue tooth and all of the latest technology.

My plan is to implement a mod with a tube analog stage to make it a World Class DAC/server, like but better than the Transporter.

This product will not only have full network, blue-tooth and computer connectivity, it will also play DSD and all hi-rez files.

Thanks,

Dan
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2018, 09:21 pm by modwright »

Shredder

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2017, 02:38 pm »
Interesting. I do like the one box solution. It would be nice, however, if the Oppo was Roon ready and could play DSD 128, 256, and 512. I look forward to seeing/hearing what you come up with. Thanks.

talk2me

« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2017, 01:23 am »
I love my Elyse DAC and no dsd! 8)  I pair it with a 103 and am very happy and also use the 103 to stream Tidal.