Anybody with a PHAT non-SACD PS3 wanna try something techy??

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Gang,
As you likely know Sony only included SACD playback (and therefore potential ripper) capability in the first four Phat PS3 SKU's, namely CECHA, CEHCB, CECHC, and CECHE (D was never released).  These PS3's are very scarce and getting expensive, and the fact that without any hardware repairing (addtl $100) one needs them at firmware 3.55 or below to run the sacd_ripper package (in order to rip true DSD off one's personal SACD collection)...which makes them even more rare.

Well....it seems that SONY actually simply disabled SACD playback from the remainder of their PHAT line (CECH...G, H, J, K, L, M, P and Q).  And that with some newly discovered software this SACD playback can be re-enabled...if one is willing to try and load some Linux software. 

I have a Word document that has the links and instructions to try this project, and am willing to forward it to anyone willing to try (and then report back here on this thread their attempts, successes, etc).  Note: The PS3's firmware still needs to be 3.55 or below.   Slim and SuperSlim PS3's (CECH-numbers-beginning-with-20 and up) not eligible, at least yet.

Let me know via PM.  Thanks
Ted

doctorcilantro

Re: Anybody with a PHAT non-SACD PS3 wanna try something techy??
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2013, 08:41 pm »
pm

strat95

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2013, 11:02 pm »
Ted, this has me quite curious.  What makes a drive SACD capable?  Is there something special in the laser or extra electronics?  Do you think there may be a means, eventually, to make any computer DVD drive SACD read capable?

TV

Deribas

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2013, 02:50 pm »
Ted, my fat non-sacd ps3 is way over 3.55. Does it mean that even after this hack it won't play SACDs, or that, while SACDs will play, I can't rip until I do the hardware downgrade? Thanks

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2013, 02:56 pm »
I would think its the latter...play SACDs but be ineligible for the ripper until hardware-modded down to 3.55 or below.  But first someone needs to proclaim this project a success.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2013, 03:28 pm »
My other PS3 is non-SACD playing and after this works for someone, I'm up for trying it too and wait until the firmware is able to be rolled back and be able to have a back-up.

grill

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2013, 05:23 pm »
Ted, my fat non-sacd ps3 is way over 3.55. Does it mean that even after this hack it won't play SACDs, or that, while SACDs will play, I can't rip until I do the hardware downgrade? Thanks
The hack needs Linux running on PS3 because the SACD enable tool runs on OtherOS Linux and not on GameOs. Having Linux on PS3 needs original firmware version < 3.21 or custom firmwares like CFW 3.55. So far the tool has been proved to be effective on CECHC and CECHG PS3 models.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2013, 05:27 pm »
Thanks Grill.  Welcome to AC, and to my HiRez Circle.

grill

« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2013, 05:38 pm »
Thanks, Ted. Nice to see other SACDolics being interested in this topic  :thumb:

Pkartti

« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2013, 09:17 pm »
Hi Ted
My first post here, not being registered for long so I can not send PM.
I have 2 old PS3s that have linux otheros installed for other purposes, not used anymore. So they should be good candidates for testing this. Can you PM me the document, I could test over the weekend.

( I also have close to 200 SACDs ripped with another PS3 based on your help so thanks a lot!)

Pkartti

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2013, 05:08 pm »
Hi
Great stuff!

I can report success on a CECHM model.
It was on a 2.something firmware, I first updated to the cfw3.55 and then the other things in the instructions. It took a bit of trial and error but now the PS3 is recognizing the disc as SACD and I am ripping away first test as I write this. I will report back as I see if the rip is ok.

Thanks a lot for everyone who has made this

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2013, 05:25 pm »
Hi
Great stuff!

I can report success on a CECHM model.
It was on a 2.something firmware, I first updated to the cfw3.55 and then the other things in the instructions. It took a bit of trial and error but now the PS3 is recognizing the disc as SACD and I am ripping away first test as I write this. I will report back as I see if the rip is ok.

Thanks a lot for everyone who has made this

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   We enter a new chapter!!  Folks, go out and buy a cheap CECHM and go for it!!

Pkartti

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2013, 05:27 pm »
Unfortunately the joy was a bit premature.
The rip was ok size but as I tried to play it in foobar it was static, and then I get an error "800029bd2, this music can not be played" as I try to play the SACD layer on the PS3.
Has anyone seen this error message?

grill

« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2013, 06:52 pm »
The rip was ok size but as I tried to play it in foobar it was static, and then I get an error "800029bd2, this music can not be played" as I try to play the SACD layer on the PS3.
Could you please write the title and the md5 checksum of the ripped SACD iso? We may be able to check it out.

EDIT

Btw, afaik PS3 can't play SACD-R discs.

Pkartti

« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2013, 07:30 pm »
Hi,
first sorry for posting the false positive before checking...

Here
d0f6b215c9938b298816a3dca4f88edc
Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding.iso

Pkartti

« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2013, 07:33 pm »
The problem seems to be that the PS3 recognizes the SACD layer (and CD layer, and starts to play the CD layer normally), but gives the error on the SACD layer. I tried with some other SACDs, same result

grill

« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2013, 08:10 pm »
Yes, something's wrong, the md5 should be b81927068f9ee812450151f9b7ffd95c. So your SACD enabled PS3 can't play the SACD layer of your original disc, can it?

Pkartti

« Reply #17 on: 24 Oct 2013, 08:26 pm »
Yes, the disc is original Columbia 2003 SACD print and no, it can not play it. It recognizes the SACD layer, on another disc that has multichannel, recognizes both stereo and mch layers but gives the error I mentioned earlier.

grill

« Reply #18 on: 24 Oct 2013, 08:59 pm »
Thanks, I've given this feedback to one of the fellows of the developer.

patrickm

« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2013, 12:13 am »

This is the exact message I'm getting as well.  The sacd_extract executable barfs on it too.  The ISO seems to be the correct size, but the contents are suspect.