Yarlung Records--Preliminary Review

ACHiPo

Yarlung Records--Preliminary Review
« on: 27 Aug 2016, 07:34 pm »
This is a brief preliminary review of LPs from Yarlung Records. Skipping to the chase scene--they are brilliantly recorded and pressed, although some of the records come across as hi-fi demo vehicles (which they do with aplomb).  I bought the catalog of 8 LPs plus one hi-rez digital download, and am quite happy I did.

After stumbling across Yarlung Records on Audio Circle on a thread discussing outstanding piano recordings I did a bit more research.  It seems they are a small label dedicated to extremely high audio standards when it comes to recording and producing albums.  They've gotten high praise from respected reviewers like Michael Fremer, Mark Lehman from Absolute Sound, and Robert Levi from Positive Feedback.  Oh, and the LPs are minimally mic'd and recorded with a completely analog chain.  After placing my order the label (actually Bob Attiyeh, who is a member here) contacted me with a personal email thanking me for the purchase.  Oh, by the way, he and his family were fighting to save their wildlife preserve from the Chimney Fire at the time. Fantastic customer service if you ask me!

http://www.yarlungrecords.com/index.html

The first record I listened to was The Smoke and Mirrors Percussion Ensemble.  The background was quiet, just a faint trace of analog hiss.  Dynamics and soundstaging were phenomenal, with clarity and detail to die for.  Unfortunately I didn't find the music particularly engaging or enjoyable for the tracks I listened to (I just made it through the first side--as I said this is a preliminary review).  At this point I'd recommend this as a demo album.

Next up was The Sophisticated Lady Jazz Quartet.  Again an outstanding recording and pressing, but again I just wasn't digging the music.  I'll give both this and the Smoke albums a few more listens and report back with my conclusions.

Next I put Ciaramella Dances on.  This is a collection of Baroque and Renaissance dances.  Now this was getting my toe tapping, if slowly (did I mention they are Baroque?  Not exactly dance mixes, but delightful nonetheless).  Again recording and pressing was outstanding.  This will go into my rotation.  My favorite by a large margin.

Finally (I'm listening to it now) I put on Antonio Lysy at the Broad--Music from Argentina.  Wow!  Ok so I'm getting tired of typing great recording, but, well, you get the idea.  Absolutely fantastic performance of really cool music I'd never heard before.  Highly recommended!  My new favorite from the catalog.

I still have a couple more to hear, but this is definitely a label to look for.

Cheers,
AC

P.S. The piano recording that originally started this, David Fung's Evening Conversations, is also highly recommended, but is only available in 96/24 digital.

ACHiPo

Re: Yarlung Records--Preliminary Review
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2016, 08:12 pm »
Update:  The first Antonio Lysy LP was so great it left me wanting more, so I put on Te Amo, Argentina, and it's even better (at least I like it better).  The passion of the music comes through and stirs the soul.  Wow again.  This is another really great record.

RipTorn

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2016, 02:56 am »
That's great to hear ,.have you tried the hi res down load you mentioned ?

ACHiPo

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2016, 04:26 pm »
That's great to hear ,.have you tried the hi res down load you mentioned ?
Rip,
I've only listened to it once, but it is really good.
Evan

ACHiPo

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2016, 05:05 pm »
Update:  The first Antonio Lysy LP was so great it left me wanting more, so I put on Te Amo, Argentina, and it's even better (at least I like it better).  The passion of the music comes through and stirs the soul.  Wow again.  This is another really great record.

Ok so I didn't like the second side nearly as well as the first side--a bit too avant garde for my tastes--YMMV.

ACHiPo

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2016, 05:07 pm »
This morning I put on a duet album between Elenor Frey and David Fung.  Very nice chamber music, again recorded brilliantly--very easy to suspend disbelief that the cello is not in the room with you.  The piano is extremely well recorded, too.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2016, 05:46 pm »
Evan,

Thanks for the reviews.

I've been checking the selections wondering what to try. I may try a couple CDs as a first taste.

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2016, 11:20 pm »
This is high praise, guys, thank you! We plan to keep up making vinyl. 

I'm very happy you're enjoying these pressings.

--Bob

ACHiPo

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2016, 07:01 am »
Evan,

Thanks for the reviews.

I've been checking the selections wondering what to try. I may try a couple CDs as a first taste.
Michael,
I'd suggest the Fung piano CD.  Ciramella is available on CD and I really like that record.  The Orion Weiss is also supposed to be good.

Evan

ACHiPo

« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2016, 03:24 pm »
The last record in the catalog is the Janaki String Trio.  Their debut album once again is an incredible recording.  Unfortunately the music, to me, is unapproachable and unengaging.  Can't recommend this one for the music alone, although I'm sure it will appeal to some.  The performances are outstanding, as is the mic'ing.

Hats off to Bob and his team for their outstanding purist recordings.  I'd love to hear some more approachable music recorded and pressed with the same techniques.

simoon

« Reply #10 on: 29 Aug 2016, 05:52 pm »
The last record in the catalog is the Janaki String Trio.  Their debut album once again is an incredible recording.  Unfortunately the music, to me, is unapproachable and unengaging.  Can't recommend this one for the music alone, although I'm sure it will appeal to some.  The performances are outstanding, as is the mic'ing.

Hats off to Bob and his team for their outstanding purist recordings.  I'd love to hear some more approachable music recorded and pressed with the same techniques.

That's interesting, the 2 that you do not like (Smoke and Mirrors and The Janaki Trio), are 2 of my favorite Yarlung releases.

I am a huge Penderecki fan. He is one of my favorite living composers. And The Janaki's performance of Penderecki's trio is on point. Not to mention, that one of the pieces is by a composers who has the same name as I do, David Lefkowitz, although he spells it differently.

But then, my musical sensibilities have always leaned toward the experimental and avant garde.

Major props to Yarlung for their commitment to recording quality and artists.

ACHiPo

« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2016, 06:48 pm »

That's interesting, the 2 that you do not like (Smoke and Mirrors and The Janaki Trio), are 2 of my favorite Yarlung releases.

That's why there's lots of music in the world!  I'm sure there are many that will love these recordings.  They're just not for me.

I am a huge Penderecki fan. He is one of my favorite living composers. And The Janaki's performance of Penderecki's trio is on point. Not to mention, that one of the pieces is by a composers who has the same name as I do, David Lefkowitz, although he spells it differently.

But then, my musical sensibilities have always leaned toward the experimental and avant garde.

Major props to Yarlung for their commitment to recording quality and artists.

Absolutely agree--these are incredible recordings and releases.

RipTorn

« Reply #12 on: 30 Aug 2016, 03:57 am »
This is high praise, guys, thank you! We plan to keep up making vinyl. 

I'm very happy you're enjoying these pressings.

--Bob

Bob I just finished listening to the tenth anniversary cd set , "I loved it" and I'm thrilled how incredibly good your recordings are ,WoW ,...There is something very different with this digital playback which kept me listening none stop from beginning to end ,. Im buying more .

RipTorn

« Reply #13 on: 30 Aug 2016, 04:04 am »

Beutiful,..I'm going to order them .

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« Reply #14 on: 31 Aug 2016, 12:50 am »
I am delighted so many of you are enjoying these albums.  Thanks for the thoughtful comments, not only about our recording technique but also about the repertoire. 

One of our missions at Yarlung is to support young musicians and current composers.  I understand that Penderecki raised a few eyebrows (in both directions) on the Janaki CD!

Janaki Trio did offer Beethoven's String Trio in C minor as well to show off the versatility of these wonderful musicians.  The Beethoven is about as "classic" as it comes (and in fact we have a beautiful test pressing of the Beethoven trio back from Europe as a 180 GRAM 45, which is breathtaking. We are looking for an underwriter and then we'll be able to release it).

But back to the point.  Part of our goal in supporting young musicians as they begin their international concert careers, is indeed to reveal their ability in many different styles of music so that concert venues can feel confident hiring them.  More info here: www.yarlungartists.org

I am glad you've been willing to stretch your musical parameters a little with these ensembles.  Many thanks for your support and for your enthusiasm for what we are doing.  You keep us going!

Sincerely,

Bob

RipTorn

« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2016, 11:28 pm »
I just finished listening to Mahler Symphony No. 5 conducted by Gerard Schwarz ,.......I'm going to listen to it again , right now . I can hardly belieive how good this performance is and the recording ,..WOW ,..

Folsom

« Reply #16 on: 3 Sep 2016, 02:12 am »
More vinyl would be good... right now it seems like R2R is the way to go.

ACHiPo

« Reply #17 on: 3 Sep 2016, 06:35 am »
More vinyl would be good... right now it seems like R2R is the way to go.
'Cept for those of us with no R2R

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 3 Sep 2016, 07:24 am »
I don't have one yet either...

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« Reply #19 on: 3 Sep 2016, 06:27 pm »
It will be interesting to see how the new "Revox" affects the Reel to Reel tape market.  The team building it is probably going to do a good job, at a price far lower than the current audiophile tape aficionados have to pay for decks.  It will cost about the same as a fine cartridge for our turntables. 

Of course the new Revox is solid state, which will temper enthusiasm by some.  Personally, I look forward to hearing the deck at some point. 

I'm glad you're enjoying Schwarz' Mahler Symphony No. 5
Here is Jim Svejda's review:  http://www.yarlungrecords.com/news/mahler-no-5/