Jurassic World (2015 iteration of Jurassic park...)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Jurassic World (2015 iteration of Jurassic park...)
« Reply #40 on: 23 Jun 2015, 02:46 am »
I guess I can understand how someone could dislike this film but I loved it.  Maybe I'm a hypocrite I have different scales for different films; it doesn't make sense to me to hold a movie about lab-grown dinosaurs to the same level of critical analysis as Lost In Translation.  But I'm fine if other people do.  Any movie should have internal consistency and follow the basic tenets of storytelling (although not necessarily the same conventions, if this makes sense).

wushuliu

« Reply #41 on: 23 Jun 2015, 02:55 am »
Some people pick up on the meta aspects of a film, others don't.  I used to be a plot stickler and didn't really have much sensitivity to the other aspects (such as what you are pointing out here).  Then I went on a BFI Top 100 challenge where I am attempting to watch all of the top 100 films on their list.  Many of the films are downright incomprehensible if you don't have some sensitivity to this level of film making, and it was only after watching each film a couple of times, hitting the commentary tracks and reading the scholarly articles on each film that I finally came around.  It was a lot of work but totally worth it.  I keep a spreadsheet, and I've now officially watched (and researched) 84 of the top 100 films.  About halfway through the list I actually started enjoying old films more than modern ones.  Wow, that was a shift.

Anyway, back on topic - nowadays I'm willing to forgive some issues with plot if it's got some other things going on that are interesting that aren't directly related to plot.  Sounds like I should check out JP.

The Criterion commentary for 'Notorious' blew my mind. Now I consider it a minor masterpiece.

wushuliu

« Reply #42 on: 23 Jun 2015, 02:56 am »
I guess I can understand how someone could dislike this film but I loved it.  Maybe I'm a hypocrite I have different scales for different films; it doesn't make sense to me to hold a movie about lab-grown dinosaurs to the same level of critical analysis as Lost In Translation.  But I'm fine if other people do.  Any movie should have internal consistency and follow the basic tenets of storytelling (although not necessarily the same conventions, if this makes sense).

Agreed.

mdw

« Reply #43 on: 23 Jun 2015, 04:00 am »
I go to movies for entertainment. I prefer action and sci-fi and can overlook plot holes and silly "science" if the movie is engaging. As far as Jurassic World is concerned, I fell asleep in the middle of it.

mcgsxr

« Reply #44 on: 28 Jun 2015, 07:36 pm »
I went with the family to see this one yesterday.

Decent entertainment I felt.  Not a great story but good action and as expected a fun blockbuster type movie. 

7/10.

ctviggen

« Reply #45 on: 28 Aug 2016, 11:08 pm »
Finally sat through this.  I found it horrible.  2/10.  Totally predictable and it seemed to be a remake of the first movie.

dB Cooper

« Reply #46 on: 29 Aug 2016, 12:10 am »
Anytime I hear people talking about a movie and ALL the conversation is about the effects, I cross it off my 'see' list.