JBL LSR305 Powered Speakers, Less Than $300

fredgarvin

JBL LSR305 Powered Speakers, Less Than $300
« on: 19 Sep 2014, 04:05 pm »
Reviewed here, apparently they sound and measure very well:

The JBL LSR305's have changed my mind about what constant directivity can do. Even if you have a kicking HiFi now you might want to pick up a pair of the JBL LSR305's as something to try out. For the price and something you can send back to Amazon without issue it's kind of silly not to do it. I've never tested anything so uniformly flat both on and off axis in the treble range, and they have a ton of detail in there with the reflected sound and direct sound both being damn near flat it makes for a new experience. The areas that it's lacking are in euphoric's, and a realistically sized/shaped sound stage, but closer than normal placement to side walls and running with some toe in seems to help with those issues.

http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/

Doublej

Re: JBL LSR305 Powered Speakers, Less Than $300
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2014, 01:30 pm »
But is it a credible reviewer?

danali

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2014, 08:23 pm »
Anyone check out the Mica mb42x he reviewed as well?

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:45 pm »

Just curious, what about the review do you not find credible? The guy measures everything meticulously, and seems to take a pretty straightforward. Not the most detailed review I've ever read but I'll take this guy over the snake oil idiots at three moons or whatever that site is.  Perhaps if you were to blather about $50 fuses people would take it more seriously.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2014, 11:05 pm »

The reviewer posted here yesterday in the topic Look what Parts Express has done! also in the Cheap and Cheerful HiFi circle, elaborating on his measurements and methodology.

Steve

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2014, 11:18 pm »
Measurements are one thing.

They're a great indicator for quality of sound, but they can't inform you of what it's like to listen to them. As the fellow said, they fall to pieces in a big room.

SOOOOO obviously the next step is someone buys some and we figure out the usual mods to make them better?  :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2014, 11:27 pm »
Measurements are one thing.

They're a great indicator for quality of sound, but they can't inform you of what it's like to listen to them. As the fellow said, they fall to pieces in a big room.

SOOOOO obviously the next step is someone buys some and we figure out the usual mods to make them better?  :thumb:

Right, let's mod tiny speakers to make them sound great in large rooms!  I'd like to see you do that.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2014, 12:02 am »
Just curious, what about the review do you not find credible? The guy measures everything meticulously, and seems to take a pretty straightforward. Not the most detailed review I've ever read but I'll take this guy over the snake oil idiots at three moons or whatever that site is.  Perhaps if you were to blather about $50 fuses people would take it more seriously.

1. I've never heard of him. No street cred yet.
2. The use of two different speaker stands for the left and right speakers does not impress me.
3. The beer cans in the pictures is an interesting touch.

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2014, 12:08 am »
1. I've never heard of him. No street cred yet.
2. The use of two different speaker stands for the left and right speakers does not impress me.
3. The beer cans in the pictures is an interesting touch.

As long as the speaker are positioned properly, and the same height, who cares what he uses for stands.  It was a temporary setup and appears to have worked.

Perhaps you are more comfortable with charlatans who claim to hear big differences after two or 300 hours of "break in" and super expensive cables on an inexpensive system. Or maybe $500 power cords and $700 Stillpoints in a budget system. We joe that give this guy street cred in your book?

jackman

« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2014, 12:10 am »
Sorry about all the typos, I'm using a Smart phone, and I'm too lazy to proofread.

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2014, 12:20 am »
Sorry about all the typos, I'm using a Smart phone, and I'm too lazy to proofread.

That gives me all the info I need...

jackman

« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2014, 12:32 am »
That gives me all the info I need...

And I'm using beer cans as speaker stands!  Hope that for doesn't mess my street cred! 

It's funny, people listen to reviewers who get free goods from companies or have financial interest in the products they review.  This guy has no financial interest as far as I can tell and he posts a review of some cheap speakers, which he carefully sets up and measures and you are questioning his credibility.  I appreciate the link to his website because I fiund the straightforward style to be refreshing.

Cheers

Jack

aevans

« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2014, 04:46 am »
Whats up fellas, reviewer in question here.

The deal with the stands is a bit of an inside joke, and to get college kids who frequent the site to use stands of any kind. Speakers sitting on the desk exhibit lots of nasty cancellation acting like a 90 degree baffle extension. I found many people waiting to purchase some $200 magic stands before they put speakers at ear level, and then giving the credit of the improvement in sound to to all kinds of crazy quasi-science BS.

As for the JBL LSR305's they work amazingly well in large spaces when coupled with a competent subwoofer to make a truly hifi full range stereo that can compete audibly with just about anything else I've heard. Everything has it's trade offs, and the trade off here is sound stage size for detail. I think of them as the anti-magnepan.

I've got the LSR308's in my living room now for long term testing and diy work. They have lots of issues with cabinet construction that need to be resolved, as it's the same thickness of material used in the 305's but the 308's are so massive(you can fit three 305's in a 308 cabinet) that they flex and rattle like nobody's business. This leads to that focused detail turning into a mess and the bass is just completely uncontrolled.

The plan I'm working on right now that could be applied to the 305's as well(if you want to be a perfectionist) is to coat the inside baffle(2.5 inch thick) and sides(1/2 inch) of the cabinet with this stuff: http://alumilite.com/ProdDetail.cfm?Category=Casting%20Resins&Name=AlumiFoam

I'll need to modify the port to tune it back to the same frequency it was at due to the cabinet volume difference. I'm thinking make a port tube center section from some of that same close cell foam like the KEF LS50 has on it.

The next problem is the plate amp that takes up the entire back of the speaker, it's an unbraced sheet metal that flexes when I plug in the 1/4 inch jack and rattles during bass tone sweeps. I'm not sure what I'll do there, maybe I can do something with foam or wood, but I may need to make external boxes and just screw some 3/4 MDF on the back to cover the hole.

The question you might ask, is it worth the hassle of doing all of this. I think so, the 308's have massive potential as a solutions that can run as a 2 channel without a sub setup, and they have so much headroom it's silly. The other thing is that they are 1 step removed from the JBL M2 which sells for 10k a pair. Fixing this stuff and having a pair of $400 powered speakers that approach that level would be amazing. Even if it costs $200-300 to do it, it's still a bargain.

Sorry for the long winded reply, just lots to cover.

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2014, 05:50 am »
Right, let's mod tiny speakers to make them sound great in large rooms!  I'd like to see you do that.

That was a joke; mostly, as someone probably will. I don't think everything on the planet is worth toying with. That's a boring not-so-fruitful adventure.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2014, 02:19 am by Salis Audio »

persisting1

« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2014, 05:57 am »
I'm a firm believer in the "beer for scale" mentality. Especially if that beer is empty  :lol:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 22 Sep 2014, 11:11 am »
Well if you'd like to read a "professional review" look to Paul White from Sound on Sound (a very well respected reviewer from a well respected publication of professional gear):

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb14/articles/jbl-3-series.htm

These are studio monitors, meaning they strive to be more resolving of detail and image yet very flat frequency response versus entertaining (flavor of choice for the individual audiophile).  Pricing should make audiophiles sit up and take notice as they include two 41 watt amplifiers per speaker and are solid performers.

fmw

« Reply #16 on: 22 Sep 2014, 01:37 pm »

There is a credible audio reviewer?

fredgarvin

« Reply #17 on: 22 Sep 2014, 04:58 pm »

That begs the question are you a credible poster?  :P

Doublej

« Reply #18 on: 22 Sep 2014, 05:51 pm »
That begs the question are you a credible poster?  :P

Posters on this thread including myself would be insulted if the answer was anything other than NO!

fredgarvin

« Reply #19 on: 23 Sep 2014, 12:03 am »
Posters on this thread including myself would be insulted if the answer was anything other than NO!

Alas, a trait we share.  :lol: