The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #220 on: 29 Nov 2017, 11:20 pm »
Sigh......

They sure sounded incredible at RMAF. Combined the strengths of the Super V (Openess, Wide soundstage, Easy sense of power, OB Bass, etc etc etc) along with the airy detail of the LS6/9, and then a pure midrange on top of that.

Fantastic Speakers. Everything I heard played on them was top notch.

Still haven't hit the Lottery, but someday....  :green:

The beauty of the Super 7's is that while they are expensive, the other equipment you use doesn't have to be.  Particularly your amp, it can be a low powered, less expensive design because it only drives from 200hz on up.  Add in a transparent, sweet sounding preamp with a musical DAC and you're all set.  They are also pretty unfussy about placement in a room. 

rgcards

« Reply #221 on: 4 Dec 2017, 10:22 pm »
Danny,
What are the baffles on the Super 7's made of,  MDF? Do they need yo be CNC cut or just carefully constructed? thanks

Rg

Danny Richie

« Reply #222 on: 4 Dec 2017, 10:58 pm »
Danny,
What are the baffles on the Super 7's made of,  MDF? Do they need yo be CNC cut or just carefully constructed? thanks

Rg

They are made from MDF. And the baffles were CNC cut. The wave guide makes it a bit tricky to make by hand.

LittleWoodenBoy

« Reply #223 on: 5 Dec 2017, 01:05 am »
Is the wave guide a secret proprietary curve, or are there drawings or equations available?

Danny Richie

« Reply #224 on: 5 Dec 2017, 03:36 am »
Is the wave guide a secret proprietary curve, or are there drawings or equations available?

I have the original prototype test baffle if someone wants to borrow it and have it programmed.

And I still have one fully assembled pair in my listening room.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #225 on: 5 Dec 2017, 04:09 am »
I have the original prototype test baffle if someone wants to borrow it and have it programmed.

And I still have one fully assembled pair in my listening room.
Hmmmm.  Let me make some inquiries and give you a call.  I'm seriously interested in taking you up on that.  Give me a couple of days.

S Clark

« Reply #226 on: 7 Dec 2017, 05:37 pm »
OK, I've got a shop with a CNC that can do the job.  Next question is demand. 
Obviously, price is a determining issue, and that's related to quantity.  But I'm interested in simple interest...
Anyone interested if it turns out to be cheap???
Either PM me or post here.

ebag4

« Reply #227 on: 7 Dec 2017, 06:02 pm »
OK, I've got a shop with a CNC that can do the job.  Next question is demand. 
Obviously, price is a determining issue, and that's related to quantity.  But I'm interested in simple interest...
Anyone interested if it turns out to be cheap???
Either PM me or post here.
I don't think I will ever be able to accomodate a separate speaker and servo subs in H frame(lack of spousal approval) so I won't be able house the OB line source should it become available, this is the closest I am likely to get.  I would be building these as an alternate mid/tweet section for my current H frames, count me in as interested .

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2017, 07:30 pm by ebag4 »

WC

« Reply #228 on: 7 Dec 2017, 06:55 pm »
If it isn't too expensive, I would be interested. Would it just be the top front baffle with the waveguide? Since building this is at least a year out, I don't want to store much more than the front baffle.

orientalexpress

« Reply #229 on: 7 Dec 2017, 09:18 pm »
I’m in  for the top parts since I have a pair of sub from jay already  :thumb:

Thanks

Lap

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #230 on: 7 Dec 2017, 10:35 pm »
I would be interested also

Mike

S Clark

« Reply #231 on: 7 Dec 2017, 10:48 pm »
If it isn't too expensive, I would be interested. Would it just be the top front baffle with the waveguide? Since building this is at least a year out, I don't want to store much more than the front baffle.
Yep, I'm just looking at the front baffle at this time. 

cleestedwood

« Reply #232 on: 8 Dec 2017, 02:38 am »
I would also be interested .

SoCalWJS

« Reply #233 on: 8 Dec 2017, 02:40 am »
......maybe. Gotta see what all is entailed. There is a part of me that is willing to "break up" my Super V's - use the woofs in a new enclosure and see if there is any interest in the other drivers. I would imagine I would need a "flat pack" for a new OB Woofer section and the new Neo's would be in a separate enclosure on top of that.

Of course, then there is the whole crossover issue......

EDIT: or are we talking about a single sheet that includes the Woofers as well?

mikeeastman

« Reply #234 on: 8 Dec 2017, 02:41 am »
 I would also be interested in front baffle.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #235 on: 8 Dec 2017, 03:07 am »
Since captainhemo is building 12" H-Frame flat packs, can do like I did and just reuse the servo drivers and amps setup and leave the Super-V's alone.  Can always be rebuilt later as needed.

Just a thought.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #236 on: 8 Dec 2017, 03:34 am »
Since captainhemo is building 12" H-Frame flat packs, can do like I did and just reuse the servo drivers and amps setup and leave the Super-V's alone.  Can always be rebuilt later as needed.

Just a thought.
There's that whole "storage" issue. I already have enough Stereo/Speaker C**p laying around - don't need any more. I have several sets of speakers that are not in use stashed in various locations. Besides, I think that the Super 7's are a strong candidate for a "forever" speaker. If I can swing the right amplification, I'm quite certain that they will outperform the current room they are in, and likely any room I am likely to have in the future.

(I got a kick out of my last Audio Group GTG - almost everybody said that having a properly sized listening room was an absolute deciding factor on Home purchase. I'm seeing a lot of fairly large rooms - at least 20' x 20'+)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #237 on: 8 Dec 2017, 03:44 am »
I am thinking more about being able to sell the Super-V's to a new owner when the Super-7's are done and working.  I used the servo sub parts until I was sure and then rebuilt the Super-V's that Dan bought, then put new parts in the new sub cabinets. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #238 on: 8 Dec 2017, 03:59 am »
I am thinking more about being able to sell the Super-V's to a new owner when the Super-7's are done and working.  I used the servo sub parts until I was sure and then rebuilt the Super-V's that Dan bought, then put new parts in the new sub cabinets.
Makes sense  :thumb:

Nick77

« Reply #239 on: 8 Dec 2017, 12:06 pm »
What size room would they require? Do they need room to breath like the SuperV?

Is the only pair in Tx located with Danny?