2 sets of RM 28's side by side

Patrick Malaga

• Industry Participant
2 sets of RM 28's side by side
« on: 16 Dec 2013, 06:11 pm »
matching neos,phase plugs installed.

Birch pair has FST tweeter, Darker set has spiral tweeter.       $2,800 for the set with spiral tweeters.Brand new 2013 models !

I will fabricate two more phase plugs today.I am using large washers to secure the drivers temporarily to prevent any marring of the gasket(which frequently happens when removing and installing drivers).
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2013, 01:48 am by Patrick Malaga »

Stimpy

Re: 2 sets of RM 28's side by side
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2013, 10:23 pm »
Patrick,

They look nice!  And as I stated in another thread, I'd love to hear them!

But, I see a problem with the Birch FST pair.  You've installed mismatched Neo planar mids in that pair.  You have the earlier, 3 ohm panel, in the lower position.  The upper panels are the later 6 ohm panel (with the curvy, fluted edges).  As such, you might want to change both to match each other.  If left as-is, the mismatched impedance will throw off your crossover slopes.  Plus, the lower panels, at 3 ohms, will draw more current when playing, compared to the upper panel, and could burn out from being over driven.

Otherwise, good job, and keep 'em coming!  Let us know too, which special editions are coming next?!?

Thanks,

Stimpy

Birch pair has FST tweeter, Darker set has spiral tweeter.

I will fabricate two more phase plugs today.I am using large washers to secure the drivers temporarily to prevent any marring of the gasket(which frequently happens when removing and installing drivers).

Patrick Malaga

• Industry Participant
Re: 2 sets of RM 28's side by side
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2013, 11:58 pm »
Patrick,

They look nice!  And as I stated in another thread, I'd love to hear them!

But, I see a problem with the Birch FST pair.  You've installed mismatched Neo planar mids in that pair.  You have the earlier, 3 ohm panel, in the lower position.  The upper panels are the later 6 ohm panel (with the curvy, fluted edges).  As such, you might want to change both to match each other.  If left as-is, the mismatched impedance will throw off your crossover slopes.  Plus, the lower panels, at 3 ohms, will draw more current when playing, compared to the upper panel, and could burn out from being over driven.       Good eye !  I was in such a hurry to hear those,that I didn't notice the panel variation.    RESPONSE :  I will swap them and impedance match them.  Thanks

Otherwise, good job, and keep 'em coming!  Let us know too, which special editions are coming next?!?

Thanks,

Stimpy