Hirez audio file editor

todd95008

Hirez audio file editor
« on: 26 Sep 2013, 05:30 am »
Anyone know of a good audio editor (win 7/8 based) that does 24/96/192k Flac & wave files ?
Primarily I would use for minor EQ and channel balance issues.
I have several HD tracks titles that need some EQ since some are flat transfers from the master with even poor channel balance too.
This/was not necessarily the best sounding option and some need a bit of touch up here and there (what a mastering engineer would do).

Thanks
Todd

srb

Re: Hirez audio file editor
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2013, 06:34 am »
Audacity will easily do what you need.

Steve

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2013, 12:08 pm »
Fabfilter is great, too.

mikeeastman

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2013, 04:09 pm »
Ted, do you know if using fabfilter would have negative effect on DSD playback?

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2013, 07:27 pm »
Reaper is very powerful and reasonably priced and it probably overkill but it works very well.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2013, 07:52 pm »
Ted, do you know if using fabfilter would have negative effect on DSD playback?

DSD cannot be EQ'd (unless you have a Sonoma workstation or something), but under normal consumer conditions you can't EQ or do any DSP to DSD.  I guess Miska (HQPlayer) has a way, but not sure what is needed.  Fabfilter, no.

todd95008

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2013, 08:06 pm »
Audacity will easily do what you need.

Steve

I have audacity but I have not found a way to do channel balance and it will only save wave files to 16bit/44k.

dminches

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2013, 08:21 pm »
I have used Adobe Audition since the days when it was Cool Edit.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2013, 08:40 pm »
I have audacity but I have not found a way to do channel balance and it will only save wave files to 16bit/44k.

There is no actual track balance control for editing, but you can reduce the amplitude of one of the tracks.
1. From the track dropdown arrow select "Split Stereo Track"
2. Select the track to edit
3. From the menu select "Effect > Normalize" and set the - dB value
4. From the track dropdown arrow select "Make Stereo Track"

To Export your edit to a higher bit rate depth than 44.1KHz 16-bit, in the Export File dialog change the Save as type: to "Other uncompressed files", then click the Options button and set the Header: to the file type and the Encoding: to the Encoding type/bit depth.

The sample rate will be unaffected unless you edit that through Tracks > Resample.

Steve
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2013, 02:32 am by srb »

Davey

« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2013, 08:41 pm »
I kinda like Goldwave.

Dave.

todd95008

« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2013, 11:31 pm »
There is no actual track balance control for editing, but you can reduce the amplitude of one of the tracks.
1. From the track dropdown arrow select "Split Stereo Track"
2. Select the track to edit
3. From the menu select "Effect > Normalize" and set the - dB value
4. From the track dropdown arrow select "Make Stereo Track"

To Export your edit to a higher bit rate than 44.1KHz, in the Export File dialog change the Save as type: to "Other uncompressed files", then click the Options button and set the Header: to the file type and the Encoding: to the Encoding type/bit depth.

The sample rate will be unaffected unless you edit that through Tracks > Resample.

Steve

Great info
Thanks

mikeeastman

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2013, 02:23 am »
Thanks Ted, I'll look into the Miska.  :thumb:

Mike

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #12 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:33 pm »
Hi Todd,

Anyone know of a good audio editor (win 7/8 based) that does 24/96/192k Flac & wave files ?
Primarily I would use for minor EQ and channel balance issues.
I have several HD tracks titles that need some EQ since some are flat transfers from the master with even poor channel balance too.
This/was not necessarily the best sounding option and some need a bit of touch up here and there (what a mastering engineer would do).

Thanks
Todd

Hard to make a firm recommendation without knowing your budget for such software.
That said, I'd suggest looking into mgalusha's recommendation of Reaper (  http://www.reaper.fm/  ).
While more of an overall digital workstation than wave editor per se, it is one of the best *sounding* applications out there and is relatively cheap compared to a number of thousand dollar, very popular vut sonically inferior apps.  (I believe you can try it for free too.)

Be aware that once you bring a FLAC file into a wave editor, you have effectively expanded it (i.e., it is no longer a FLAC file).  You would need to save the results of any processing back to FLAC is that is your desired target.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.soundkeeperrecordings.wordpress.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

P.S. My turn to ask a question:
Can someone explain how to create a link using the term I want as the highlighted text?
When I highlighted the word Reaper and clicked the hyperlink icon, it just put "" and "" around the word but there was no actual place for me to enter the URL.  (Hope I've described my predicament clearly).
Thanks in advance.
b

srb

« Reply #13 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:45 pm »
P.S. My turn to ask a question:
Can someone explain how to create a link using the term I want as the highlighted text?
When I highlighted the word Reaper and clicked the hyperlink icon, it just put "" and "" around the word but there was no actual place for me to enter the URL.  (Hope I've described my predicament clearly).

Barry,

You need to be in the WYSIWYG editing mode.  Enable it by clicking the button with the red square brackets enclosing a blue arrow at the end of the toolbar.  The button background is blue when you are in the WYSIWYG mode and white when you are not.

You can make this a default under Profile > Look and Layout > "Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default" checkbox.

Steve

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:49 pm »
Barry,

You need to be in the WYSIWYG editing mode.  Enable it by clicking the button with the red square brackets enclosing a blue arrow at the end of the toolbar.  The button background is blue when you are in the WYSIWYG mode and white when you are not.

You can make this a default under Profile > Look and Layout > "Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default" checkbox.

Steve
Like this?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:56 pm »
Barry, if you put a title markup after the URL, like "URL=http://www.reaper.fm]Reaper or Whatever[/URL" (and use open and close brackets instead of my quotes) it shows up like this

Reaper or Whatever

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #16 on: 1 Oct 2013, 03:03 pm »
Thank you Steve!

Barry,

Steve

Change to profile should do it.
Thanks again.

Best regards,
Barry

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #17 on: 1 Oct 2013, 03:04 pm »
Thank you Ted!

Barry, if you put a title markup after the URL, like "URL=http://www.reaper.fm]Reaper or Whatever[/URL" (and use open and close brackets instead of my quotes) it shows up like this

Reaper or Whatever

Got it.  I've changed my profile, per Steve's suggest but it is good to know another way too.

Best regards,
Barry

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 1 Oct 2013, 03:12 pm »
Thank you Ted!

Got it.  I've changed my profile, per Steve's suggest but it is good to know another way too.

Best regards,
Barry

So now you can do this.    :green:

Sound Keeper Recordings

Sound Keeper Recordings Blog

Barry Diament Audio

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings