Wilson Audiophile High-Resolution Downloads

jhm731

Wilson Audiophile High-Resolution Downloads
« on: 13 Jul 2013, 04:32 pm »
While Wilson Audio is known for its loudspeakers, company founder David Wilson began his career in the audio industry as a recording engineer. His recordings under the Wilson Audiophile label, 33 in total, are among the very best-sounding classical and jazz LPs and CDs ever produced, and they continue to be prized today for their natural tonality and dynamic fireworks.

The entire Wilson Audiophile catalog has been out of print for nearly two decades, but that's about the change. The majority of the recordings will soon be available as high-resolution downloads and sold through online retailers, including iTunes, Amazon and HDTracks, with a new title appearing every other month. Formats currently supported are 24-bit/176.4kHz FLAC and WAV. Other formats and resolutions are possible in the future.

Bruce Brown of Puget Sound Studios will create files under the supervision of David and Daryl Wilson. The process of converting the analog master tapes to digital begins with the inspection and cleaning of each tape, after which a lubricant is applied in preparation for the transfer process. A Studer A-80 RC Mk II with either a Flux Magnetics Extended Response Repro head or a Wolke DIN Butterfly Repro head is used for playback, an EMM Labs ADC-8 Mk IV custom modified by Andreas Koch provides analog-to-digital conversion, and a Sonoma DSD workstation is used for capture and editing. Changes in gain, panning, or EQ are made on a Rupert Neve analog mastering console. All DSD files are transferred into a Merging Technologies Pyramix DSD/DXD Masscore workstation, and the Pyramix Apodizing filter handles conversion to PCM.

Equipment for QA includes Wilson Audio Alexandria XLF speakers and Thor’s Hammer subwoofers, an Apple Mac Mini, Amarra and Audirvana Plus software, Weiss DAC202 and Audio Research DAC8 DACs, an Audio Research Reference Anniversary preamp, and VTL Siegfried or D’Agostino Momentum mono amplifiers. Cables are AudioQuest FireWire and Transparent Audio Opus interconnects and speaker cables.

Other links here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118220.msg1241704#new

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Wilson Audiophile High-Resolution Downloads
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2013, 05:14 pm »
It is a damn shame that all this work is going into this project, and that the mastered DSD files will not be available, but instead PCM files converted from the analog-to DSD process.  ??  I think I will email Bruce and ask why.

jhm731

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2013, 05:18 pm »
It is a damn shame that all this work is going into this project, and that the mastered DSD files will not be available, but instead PCM files converted from the analog-to DSD process.  ??  I think I will email Bruce and ask why.

I can save you the trouble, here's Bruce's reply to the same question on WBF:

"The files I sent to David and Daryl were PCM because at the time they had no way of playing back DSD files. Hopefully after the initial debut, they will make available the DSD files."

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2013, 05:21 pm »
Sorry, yes I am a member on WBF.  I wanted to know about now; the DSD DAC market is no longer "rogue".  :)

jhm731

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2013, 05:54 pm »
Sorry, yes I am a member on WBF.  I wanted to know about now; the DSD DAC market is no longer "rogue".  :)

I guess David and Daryl Wilson (like me) are late to the DSD party, since they don't have a DSD DAC.

Based on WA's current release schedule, I wouldn't look for DSD downloads any time soon.

If you're a WBF member, it shouldn't surprise you that the RTR camp is also asking for tapes.

I don't think WA will devote a lot of resources to this project until they see the reaction to the first
available downloads.

DSD_Mastering

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2013, 07:37 pm »
That is correct. I actually haven't even sent them the DSD files yet, as I don't know if they could play them.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to convince the Wilsons to offer DSD as well. I know they are going through 3rd party distributors, so we can all hope!

I know they are using Audirvana+, but don't know if they have a DSD DAC yet. I know Vincent was going to let them use a MSB Diamond. Don't know if he got around to it.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2013, 08:14 pm »
Thanks Bruce!  A Diamond would do just fine.  MSB and Wilson are partners on many shows, so why not.  :)

DSD_Mastering

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2013, 06:14 am »
4 file formats will be offered: DSD, WAV, AIFF and FLAC

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2013, 01:42 pm »
Thanks Bruce!!   :)