Wired Internet Connection: Question

tvyankee

Re: Wired Internet Connection: Question
« Reply #20 on: 26 Mar 2015, 06:39 am »
Hey.

WHen u tested the cable did u use the same ports on the switch and router as the good cable you tested ?

You may have  port issues and not cable issues.

*Scotty*

« Reply #21 on: 26 Mar 2015, 06:54 am »
Does anyone know if encrypted WiFi communication with the router is slower than an unencrypted hardwired connection via Cat 5?  I pay for 50Mbps and best case wired or wireless is 29Mbps or slower, download speed with maybe half that on uploading. The laptop client is capable of 300Mbps as is the SMC D3GNV router supplied by comcast.
Scotty

tvyankee

« Reply #22 on: 26 Mar 2015, 07:17 am »
While the wifi is password protected its not really encrypted. Cable internet services are really hard to test that consistent as there speed is up and down a lot.  After all it is a shared system.  I think you may want to do a lan test and not a wan test to make sure ur systems are up to snuff. 

ALso what i would do after you know for a fact ur system is working correctly i would use the comcast speed test site direct hard line into their modem \ ROUTER  and if ur not getting the speed you are paying for then you have some solid ground with them.

ALso i would look to put their smc into bridged mode and get your self for 100 bucks  like a tp link c8 and really crank up the through put.

*Scotty*

« Reply #23 on: 26 Mar 2015, 07:46 am »
The laptop is a 2.4GHz client and I am covered up with interference from other routers using the same bandwidth. This is probably where the speed went as I imagine only the traffic cop feature of the underlying protocol is making it work at all. Not too surprising I suppose as I live in a 300+ apartment high rise.
 The next laptop will have dual band capability. A 5GHz client would save my ass as that bandwidth is at the moment virtually unused in the building.
Scotty

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #24 on: 26 Mar 2015, 01:35 pm »
......it had multiple bad sharp bends (since it was probably packed that way in the small router box when I got it.)
A few months back, I learned that CAT wires can be damaged by the way they're handled. The fact the companies wad them up, fold them in half, and jam them in a box made me throw away every "free" patch cable in my entire house and bought brand new high quality ones. To make a long story short, I have 100 Meg coming in the house (80 Meg usually), some PC's were getting 3Meg at best! (tested on speedtest.)
But now, every port in the house is screaming and there are no more weak connections in the house. Not that I'm saying that "kinked" wires were the sole cause, but it was a factor.

Bob

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 26 Mar 2015, 05:56 pm »
Here is my next thought.

A "How-To":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5snlwq5rok

wakibaki

« Reply #26 on: 19 Apr 2015, 08:57 pm »
You do know that there is only one correct way to wire an RJ45 for ethernet?

Yes, it's all got to do with the pairing and the twisting and which wire goes to which pin. You can't just depend on wiring each end the same.

You can find the pinout with google.

vonnie123

« Reply #27 on: 19 Apr 2015, 10:50 pm »
I went the lazy way, ethernet over power. from my router on one side of the house, to media system located on the other side of the house.  A switch is located on the media system side.  Blended ethernet and wifi for the ipad controls.  Works flawlessly.