Well Tempered Lab Royale 400 with 16" tonearm. It weighs in at a healthy 46kg.

threadkiller

Thanks! I'll remember. I have several packs of new sleeves on the shelf under the cleaner.
I always replace unless it's one of these fancy new reissue labels, such as Music Matters. Even then sometimes a brand new sleeve after cleaning is preferable...

The odd thing to me with most records cleaned on the KLAudio machine is that the volume seems to increase without touching the volume...

Happy listening...

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
The latest info I have on the 400 Royale is that the first batch is expecting in the UK in a few months time with price expected to be in the region of Charlie's estimation and reports are that it sounds fantastic! Just when I thought no more upgrades for a couple of years and this happens  :D

threadkiller

Good reporting, Rob!
If Saint Burns approves then it must be good.
Right now I'm trying to picture in my head where I'd put it, or it with the stand.
Plus, my newest find, Rob, is to take the balls out completely- the table, silly- and put the Amadeus on an HRS MX3 shelf. It's amazing! I had the table sitting on the shelf as standard, then Mr P said he and the HRS man did it without the balls and it couples wonderfully. The balls were muting it a bit- in the way.
I also tried this on the top shelf of a Quadraspire SVT rack and it worked splendidly.  If your room or support can do it give it a try.

Well, sounds like some of us need to start saving...a new adventure awaits..

rob400

Interesting post Charlie. If you remember I tried and liked the feet without balls on a sub shelf previously. The squash balls definitely deaden the sound but it's a fine line between dull and the sound being a little forced. Going to give it another go and will report back. As you wrote where to put the 400 is a headache. But we are already at the who will get one first me thinks? :D

threadkiller

Lol... oh dear. Well, as you know, one could buy quite a few records instead of the table upgrade.
Yet I've been on a real binge here lately.
If one likes Ellington that reissue of Masterpieces that Fremer raved over is fantastic. Also the newish 45 from Reference Recordings of Mephisto & Co. is a knockout with Eiji Oue. Fun stuff. Makes me want to get the new reissue from Analogue Sounds of Kabelesky's The Comedians. I bought the Classic Records one years ago, the new one Fremer is agog about. And the recent Music Matters Blue Notes are superb.

About those balls/shelves...on another rack here it just didn't fly. Feedback- which was kind of cool for the first minute.. footfall issues. As Chico said No Good! And a slight whatever.. the HRS shelf I'm using is more than an Amadeus..but holy cow!

One last thing to consider with this new table... We're jumping up in price quite a bit. There may be alternatives to consider? Nah... I already crossed off everything in that price range with the Amadeus. So for me the Royale needs to give substantially more... Rob, keep me posted!

rob400

I don't think Firebaugh will let us down Charlie. No point trying to talk yourself out of buying one, you know you will be like a kid before xmas when it's available  :). I won't be surprised if it's nearer the fall before we can buy one though!

Plink

A rubber belt would completely ruin why I got(get) speed consistency on the level of a Technics SP10.  Horrible idea.

ADiG

MONACO HI END SHOW

rob400

Looks like a more silver coloured top and bottom plate than the grey one first seen in pics. Very nice actually. It was at the Munich show (Germany). Our UK WTL distributer was there for his first listen. Less than ideal enviroment but I will be getting a report back shortly on his impression. Hope to listen to one myself @ July.

sebrof

Nice looking table.
I don't know about you guys, but with that long arm I might actually need a cue lever  :green:

threadkiller

Well, doesn't the photo show both finger lift and cueing lever?
Since it's the newer Symmetrex arm?
It does look nice - and no stupid mirror.
I doubt length will impede cueing- will probably enhance it.
If you ever tried cueing a Simplex short arm after using an Amadeus you'd want to rip it out of the plinth...well, that was the effect it had on crazy me.

newvinyl

Looking that this latest pic on page 3, that is a long tone arm.

On page 1 of this tread I asked about the headshell offset angle. This latest pic looks like there is some angle (not zero degrees), so that's good.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
How does a 100 pound turntable tie in with the concept of the Simplex?
That's going from one end of the spectrum to the other from the same designer. 

threadkiller

The overall design theory of arm and bearing are the same...the Simplex was a stripped down version of the Amadeus, the Royale, an enlargement. For the arm to be longer,the motor is bigger ( I think) and the tube reinforced... The Royale is his final statement on his years of theorizing... As an original Classics owner I'm ready for it.

watercourse

Wow, that plinth surface has so much real estate! You can put your beer and corn dog down next to the pulley for a snack while mounting carts!  :wink:

threadkiller

I think we'll all be shocked when we see it in person.... one could probably run a mini gauge train set on it..
I'll have a corn dog! And since that isn't on Rob's 10% diet I'll have his as well. Anything for a friend....

When you think about it the size of it isn't that much of a bother since there's the stand. It won't be for everybody, naturally. No quibbling about fitting it on a homemade wall shelf, that sort of thing. The Shindo Garrard is a great table, and it's huge! Like a big piece of luggage sitting up there. And the new Kuzma arm looks the size of one of my old well pumps.

rob400

You have a (turntable) size fixation chaz :-)

threadkiller

Guilty as charged.... It IS the centerpiece of any system, mind you...those that focus on amps, on those things in the room called speakers, a pair of them, no less, are deluding themselves- off in the weeds, so to speak.
The embodiment of a system, the heart and soul of it, is the turntable. And we're fooling ourselves with that son of satan digital box, that dark calling that promises yet never delivers... Our systems would be nothing without a good turntable. Why bother otherwise?
So yes, Rob, go big or go home!
What is that arm again? 17"? bigger than a ruler...in these parts that's a keeper...:)

mannikman

Darn thing looks ugly to me, and I am not convinced it will offer the leap in sound performance that will justify the price difference between this and the standard decks. I would rather spend the cash on the black disc. Should get a few discs for that price.  Also I have a general question for those tempted. Is the size of the turntable inversely proportional to the size of ones weaner. If so I might go back to CD……..