microRendu power connector takes things up to 11

firedog

Re: microRendu power connector takes things up to 11
« Reply #40 on: 12 Jul 2016, 06:02 am »
I have a microRendu and Windows server setup. LMS on the server doesn't detect Squeezelite on the mR when other playback software, like JRiver or HQP are running simultaneously on the server. I have to close them first if they are running. Then LMS detects the mR as a player. Maybe you have a similar situation.

WG

« Reply #41 on: 12 Jul 2016, 01:37 pm »
I have a microRendu and Windows server setup. LMS on the server doesn't detect Squeezelite on the mR when other playback software, like JRiver or HQP are running simultaneously on the server. I have to close them first if they are running. Then LMS detects the mR as a player. Maybe you have a similar situation.

Good thought, but I do not have any other playback software running on the server.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #42 on: 15 Jul 2016, 02:01 am »
Hi Matthew,

This is exactly how I am running it (and I also did so at AXPONA and will next week at Newport Beach show):

macbook / Roon software (wireless) -->> airport express (ethernet cable out) -->> microrendu (usb jumper cable out) -->> LIO USB input on dac.  [And microRendu is powered by a super-regulated output feed from LIO's ultracap banks]

The microRendu / Roon software is clearly better sounding than even using the USB out of the Macbook running Audirvana Plus.  I posted about this here in the VR forum, and on the microRendu forum on computeraudiophile.com.

This of microRendu as a dedicated piece of hardware that was designed only to create the cleanest USB stream to your dac.  You will not be limited to 96kHz resolution via the airport express's optical output.  Now you can play DSD, double DSD, and up to 32-bit / 384kHz that LIO's dac can handle via the USB input. 

So while it is adding one more small component (microRendu), it is a higher bandwidth feed to LIO's dac and a much cleaner digital signal.  And Roon playback software is top notch!

Expect a big improvement!

Vinnie

The Roonlabs customer service gurus tell me now that I have Roon with microrendu up and running that Airport Express will not allow hi res file transfer.  I call BS on this.

When you examine the signal path (the little green light just above the song progress bar) it shows that it's sample rate down-converting from 192 khz to 44.1 and then truncating from 24 bit to 16 bit.  What the heck?  My next step is to plug the ethernet directly in the back of the router and bypass the airport express, and this may "solve" the problem.  But doesn't it defeat the purpose of streaming?  This whole Roon/Rendu thing is going to take me a while to get used to.  Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Thx in advance
Matthew

Vinnie R.

« Reply #43 on: 15 Jul 2016, 02:07 am »
The Roonlabs customer service gurus tell me now that I have Roon with microrendu up and running that Airport Express will not allow hi res file transfer.  I call BS on this.

When you examine the signal path (the little green light just above the song progress bar) it shows that it's sample rate down-converting from 192 khz to 44.1 and then truncating from 24 bit to 16 bit.  What the heck?  My next step is to plug the ethernet directly in the back of the router and bypass the airport express, and this may "solve" the problem.  But doesn't it defeat the purpose of streaming?  This whole Roon/Rendu thing is going to take me a while to get used to.  Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Thx in advance
Matthew

Hi Matthew,

I use Airport Express, Roon, and microRendu and get the purple light that indicates "Lossless" (no down converting).  I can play DSD64, DSD128, and all PCM up to 32-bit / 384kHz.  So I think they are mistaken.  Sounds like a setup issue. 

BTW, have you talked to Jesus R. of Sonore?  He was the one who helped me get it all set up and he knows his stuff.  See if you can talk directly with him and tell him that I also use the AE, Roon, and microRendu and it all works fine when he set me up.

Not sure what is going on there.  If you can't reach him, I can try to help over the phone.  At least we are using the same setup pretty much...

Vinnie

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: 15 Jul 2016, 02:10 am »
Hi Matthew,

I use Airport Express, Roon, and microRendu and get the purple light that indicates "Lossless" (no down converting).  I can play DSD64, DSD128, and all PCM up to 32-bit / 384kHz.  So I think they are mistaken.  Sounds like a setup issue. 

BTW, have you talked to Jesus R. of Sonore?  He was the one who helped me get it all set up and he knows his stuff.  See if you can talk directly with him and tell him that I also use the AE, Roon, and microRendu and it all works fine when he set me up.

Not sure what is going on there.  If you can't reach him, I can try to help over the phone.  At least we are using the same setup pretty much...

Vinnie
Is there anything special that you're doing with setup? 

Vinnie R.

« Reply #45 on: 15 Jul 2016, 02:16 am »
Is there anything special that you're doing with setup?

No - can't be.  Airport Express is just a wireless router (I'm not using the optical out of AE).  I'm using the Ethernet
out to the microRendu, and usb out of microRendu to LIO dac.

The Roon setup sees the microRendu, and I name the audio zone for it and select it.  All lossless.  But I'll check the settings
later tonight to look for clues...

Vinnie

TomS

« Reply #46 on: 15 Jul 2016, 02:27 am »
No - can't be.  Airport Express is just a wireless router (I'm not using the optical out of AE).  I'm using the Ethernet
out to the microRendu, and usb out of microRendu to LIO dac.

The Roon setup sees the microRendu, and I name the audio zone for it and select it.  All lossless.  But I'll check the settings
later tonight to look for clues...

Vinnie
Same here when I tried it, DSD64 and DSD128 were fine.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #47 on: 15 Jul 2016, 03:07 am »
Weird.  Sometimes best just to sleep on these issues and revisit them with a fresh cup of coffee and a good nights sleep.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #48 on: 15 Jul 2016, 06:06 pm »
May be unrelated but my microrendu is running very hot.  Almost too hot to touch, got to be >120F.  That can't be normal.  Warm, yes, but hand burn no.  Its power supply is currently iFi.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #49 on: 15 Jul 2016, 06:15 pm »
May be unrelated but my microrendu is running very hot.  Almost too hot to touch, got to be >120F.  That can't be normal.  Warm, yes, but hand burn no.  Its power supply is currently iFi.

Should not be that hot!  :o

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #50 on: 15 Jul 2016, 06:19 pm »

Mine is on 24x7 and isn't that hot.

George

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #51 on: 16 Jul 2016, 04:36 pm »
I unplugged it until I have time off work to sort it out.  Working a 24h shift today  :o :duh:

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #52 on: 18 Jul 2016, 06:33 pm »
What are people using for short USB female to male interconnects lately?

Thx

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #53 on: 18 Jul 2016, 06:37 pm »
What are people using for short USB female to male interconnects lately?

Thx

I am using the PI Audio/ Triode Wire Labs microRendu USB dongle - sounds great and the women dig it!!   :lol:

Besides sounding great, it isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143567.0

George

SteveKi

« Reply #54 on: 18 Jul 2016, 09:06 pm »

FYI. Plugged in and doing nothing my microRendu is 86F. After playing music for an hour it was 96F. Room temp 72F
Steve

Vinnie R.

« Reply #55 on: 18 Jul 2016, 09:49 pm »
FYI. Plugged in and doing nothing my microRendu is 86F. After playing music for an hour it was 96F. Room temp 72F
Steve

Hi Steve,

I think those are "normal" operating temps when using LIO uRendu's 7V output...

Vinnie

ebag4

« Reply #56 on: 19 Jul 2016, 02:43 am »
I am using the PI Audio/ Triode Wire Labs microRendu USB dongle - sounds great and the women dig it!!   :lol:
Thanks for that George, I needed a good laugh  :thumb: :lol:.

Best,
Ed

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #57 on: 30 Jul 2016, 03:04 am »
A happy ending to the microrendu saga.  I spoke with Vinnie and Jesus at Sonore over the past few days and we were able to get my issues sorted out.  Here's the synopsis.

After a week or so with some help from Vinnie Rossi and the awesome tech support at Sonore, we are up and running.

I first restarted my whole home wifi network, renaming the time capsule and getting new passwords. I then set up the airport express as a wireless network extender, which required to hard reset the airport express, and confirmed that the home network is indeed working. That required the airport utility.

The next step was to hook up the microrendu to the airport express via Ethernet cable. Once I ran diagnostics on the microrendu and confirmed we had the updated firmware, we moved on to ensuring the system was booting up on the correct order. It's important (apparently) that the DAC boot up first and then the microrendu. So, once I did that, the Microrendu automatically popped up in Roon as an audio out.  To be clear I am not using the Airport Express as an AirPlay device, I'm using it as a wireless network extender. 

Thanks so much to Vinnie Rossi and to Jesus from Sonore for their help. Just wanted to let you know how it all turned out for the best!

Matthew

Vinnie R.

« Reply #58 on: 30 Jul 2016, 03:40 am »
It's important (apparently) that the DAC boot up first and then the microrendu.

That's odd, as even if I leave my microRendu ON and turn OFF LIO (with dac), when I turn LIO back ON,
it connects very quickly to the microRendu / Roon interface.

Well - what matters is that you have it working and can start o listen and enjoy it!  :thumb:

Thanks for your post,

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #59 on: 30 Jul 2016, 03:41 am »
I don't care if I have to sacrifice a chicken and whip out the spirit gourds.  As long as it's playing lossless music I'm happy! :)