Anti virus recommendation

soundofrockets

Anti virus recommendation
« on: 13 Nov 2016, 08:15 pm »
My current subscription to anti virus has expired. ESOD 32. 
Looking for recommendation for software.  Running Windows 10. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Anti virus recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2016, 08:18 pm »
W Defender for free in W10.

soundofrockets

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2016, 08:21 pm »
How I do get it?  Does it come preloaded?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2016, 08:34 pm »
It came inside W10 system, no standalone by what I know.
I will use it after my paid a-v expire.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2016, 10:14 pm »
If I remember correctly when you remove ESOD32, Windows 10 will ask you if you want to turn on Windows Defender.

finsup

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2016, 10:22 pm »
Since you don't want to have more than on anti-virus program running, is Windows Defender good enough?  I have F-Suite via Charter,  It hasn't let me down.  I turned Windows Defender off after upgrading to Windows 10.  I was contemplating what to do with my wife's Surface 3 is why I ask:  Go with Windows Defender or F-Suite?  I guess I am wondering how much of a resource-hog, if any. Defender is.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2016, 11:25 pm »
AVG Free is my choice... or Linux.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2016, 11:49 pm »
If I remember correctly when you remove ESOD32, Windows 10 will ask you if you want to turn on Windows Defender.
At the WDef turn on screen it will remove the other external a-v by default, it will ask confirmation.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2016, 12:02 am »
I use Norton internet security and like it enough to pay for a license, actually 5 so it protects my tablets too. It's basically, sometimes literally, free if you're patient and look at Amazon frequently.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2016, 12:18 am »
I've always found Nortons to make machines run really slowly, and have background things you can't turn off.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2016, 12:21 am »
I've heard of that in old versions (10-15 years old), but not so in the modern ones.  So it may be a lingering reputation.

Doublej

« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2016, 01:03 am »
I've heard of that in old versions (10-15 years old), but not so in the modern ones.  So it may be a lingering reputation.

I think it might be more something like new versions of Symantec aka Norton on new machines runs fine. I know folks running it on older machines and it does appear to slow things down. But it could also be something to do with Comcast's version of it.

Comcast internet subscribers get free antivirus from Symantec. But it might be customized for Comcast in some fashion.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2016, 01:19 am »
Personally I wouldn't trust a Comcast  (or verizon, or any carrier) version.  I have no basis for that, except a general distrust of them and some paranoia.  For the same reasons I use a Gmail and not my free @verizon.net email.

Note: I'm using a norton suite product, which include Antivirus, yet costs less than Antivirus stand alone.

MaxCast

« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2016, 01:41 am »
I use Eset but heard good things about Windows defender and their firewall.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2016, 01:53 am »
I use Eset but heard good things about Windows defender and their firewall.
The virus alert is in real time, my paid a-v dont do it.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2016, 03:59 pm »
I'm using Windows Defender on my new laptop. I hardly know its there which is the way I like it. One of the problems with 3rd party anti-viruses is that they're typically in your face and constantly trying to sell you add-ons.

soundofrockets

« Reply #16 on: 14 Nov 2016, 06:06 pm »
so - if I understand correctly.  all I have to do is to uninstall the ESET, that will prompt the windows 10 to activate the Bit Defender, I follow the onscreen instructions and I am good to go ?

great.

thanks

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #17 on: 14 Nov 2016, 06:14 pm »
There is nothing wrong with the Norton from Comcast. It cuts no corners and works well.  But if you want an excellent free antivirus program consider Total Security 360.  It uses multiple engines.  It works well.  I use it on my music computer and Norton from comcast on several other computers.

https://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/

http://download.cnet.com/360-Total-Security-2016/3000-2239_4-76145154.html

persisting1

« Reply #18 on: 14 Nov 2016, 08:44 pm »
There is nothing wrong with the Norton from Comcast. It cuts no corners and works well.  But if you want an excellent free antivirus program consider Total Security 360.  It uses multiple engines.  It works well.  I use it on my music computer and Norton from comcast on several other computers.

https://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/

http://download.cnet.com/360-Total-Security-2016/3000-2239_4-76145154.html

Here's a good read on why you shouldn't download anything from download dot com.

http://www.howtogeek.com/198622/heres-what-happens-when-you-install-the-top-10-download.com-apps/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2016, 10:05 am »
so - if I understand correctly.  all I have to do is to uninstall the ESET, that will prompt the windows 10 to activate the Bit Defender, I follow the onscreen instructions and I am good to go ?

great.

thanks
If W10 dont activate WDef after uninstall you should turn on WDef manually.